Improving Your 5K

Broke the 20 minute mark for the first time!!!!!! (Read 449 times)

Scott3294

Finally did it!!! March of Dimes Shamrock run here in Savannah tonight at 6pm. Gun time 19:39, chip time 19:37. Garmin Splits: 6:19, 6:25, 6:31.... 25th overall out of 1250 runners, 3rd in my age group of 40 to 44. Scott

The voice of mile 18

sub 20 AND Hardware!!! AWESOME!! great job!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Len

Damn Yankee

Congratulations Scott, that's a nice job! You must be feeling bullet proof!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Wow! Nice race. Smile Congratulations!

Michelle

Congrats! Do you think you could have ran it faster if you would have went out slower?
              great - congratulations
              Scott3294

Thanks! As for could I have run faster if I had started slower, that is a hard question to answer. If I had gone out at 6:30 instead of 6:19, then I would have had to run 6:19 the last mile instead of the 6:30 I did. When we started everyone up front went out quickly as usual running about a 5:30 mile pace for the first half mile, I used my Garmin to monitor this and I forced my self to slow down to the 6:19 pace. Ultimately I think I may try to go out at a 6 minute pace early with a goal of 6:20 for the first mile...but now I will be working on breaking 19! :-) That is a pace of 6:06 per mile instead of the 6:19 pace/mile I averaged last night. Scott

Slow-smooth-fast

Thanks! As for could I have run faster if I had started slower, that is a hard question to answer. If I had gone out at 6:30 instead of 6:19, then I would have had to run 6:19 the last mile instead of the 6:30 I did. When we started everyone up front went out quickly as usual running about a 5:30 mile pace for the first half mile, I used my Garmin to monitor this and I forced my self to slow down to the 6:19 pace. Ultimately I think I may try to go out at a 6 minute pace early with a goal of 6:20 for the first mile...but now I will be working on breaking 19! :-) That is a pace of 6:06 per mile instead of the 6:19 pace/mile I averaged last night. Scott
                  Well done, I bet you feel on top of the world. I know I did when I broke 20. Now I am in pursuit of sub 18, but coming back from 6 weeks injury will not be trying again for at least 12 weeks.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Awesome Scott! I'm also in Savannah, and I ran the same race, but mine didn't go so well.
                    Brandon