Improving Your 5K

Intervals (Read 278 times)

I was so pleased with todays interval session. My aim (hopefully before christmas) is to get under 23 mins for 5k so today I decided to do 6 x 800m aiming to go under 3.40 per 800 (23min 5k pace) The inside 2 lanes on the track were blocked off (they often are in training) so I ran in lane 3 = 830m. Splits were 3.43/3.45/3.46/3.45/3.42/3.42. given those are for 830m I worked out that for 800m they would be roughly 8 seconds quicker so all between 3.34 and 3.38. I'm so pleased with both the times and the consistency too - and feeling hopeful now that my sub 23mins may not be just a dream.

The voice of mile 18

congrats on a great workout. but am a little confused why is the 3rd lane 15m longer than the first?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

thank you! track is effectively an elongated circle? so the further out you go the longer the circle is. somewhere between 7 and 8m longer per lane, although the exact amount varies from track to track (as lane widths can be anything between 1.22 and 1.25m)

The voice of mile 18

I remember from my HS track days the starting line for the line for mile or 1600 had a little curve to it but it wasn't nearly 7m or maybe i'm just remembering wrong. ok coffee just kicked in - the 400 start was much more pronounced and that was because you had to stay in your lane unlike the mile or 1600 where you could jump over to lane 1 right away nevermind and again congrats on a great run

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy