Improving Your 5K

tell me you easy pace and your 5k pr (Read 1517 times)

Those are strong workouts. MHO - a 19(something) goal is conservative. For comparison, here is data about workouts done before an April 5K I have done a few times: four years ago (2004), I built up to 6 X half mile repeats at 6:27 pace with 3:00 recovery, and finished 20:06 three years ago (2005), I did not do repeats, but ran several one hour runs at 7:30 pace, and finished 20:04. two years ago (2006), I did not race last year (2007), I did not do repeats; ran 30 minute runs at 7:30 pace, finished 20:24 Here is the plan I am following this year http://www.therunzone.com/VB/showthread.php?t=782 Good luck to you. I look forward to reading how your race goes.

Slow-smooth-fast

cheers jeff, think I will try this next week.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

My easy pace has been getting faster... yesterday I felt really comfortable at a 8:30-9:00 pace which is almost a tempo run for me. I just starting doing intervals again this week. I want to try and do them once a week or so to get my speed back. I did 8x400m with 400m recovery on a crappy 200m indoor track. Not the greatest, but good enough for my first workout in a while. Time - Pace - Avg HR 1:37 - 6:31 - 184 1:22 - 5:30 1:44 - 6:59 - 187 1:41 - 6:47 - 179 1:45 - 7:03 - 186 1:45 - 7:03 - 184 1:45 - 7:03 - 184 1:43 - 6:55 - 182 max hr - ~215 resting hr - ~48
          My easy pace has been getting faster...
          Nice times! Isn't that a wonderful feeling to see your "easy" pace picking up?!? Congratulations. Smile

Michelle

SMART Approach

Eddy, Coming off MAF training, you need to ease yourself into these work outs or you risk injury/set back. 5X1 mile at 6:21 pace requires the recovery a 5K race would need. Save your racing for races, not training.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

evtish

You're all way faster than me! My only race was 23:49. I have another race on 2/9, but its a 6k. If the weather holds up and my calf holds up I think a good pace for me would be 7:15-7:30, although I really want to be at 7. That extra k is going to be a killer forl me.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm happy to find this thread and see that finally I feel like I'm not the only one. My 5K PR is 20:12 but my easy runs are way slower than the McMillan calculator, which says something like low 8s -- I am happy to cruise at 9-10. When I see people post easy speeds, or if I look at McMillan calculator, it makes me feel slow, but I am staying slow in my runs anyway. I don't have a HRM, but I read some of the low-HR propaganda stuff, and am hopeful that just doing a lot of slow runs will help me also in my 5K races after all.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just Be

Hi all, just found this group and joined! Right now my 5k PR is 19:09 since I've been running again, set in November of 2007. In Feb I'm going to try to set new PRs in the mile run and 10k, and maybe the 5k if I feel good enough for 3 races in 1 month's time, but if not, I'll try for a 5k PR in March. I've been improving really fast each month and I'd guess that I'm in 17:something 5k shape by now. Hopefully I'll break 17 before May of this year, that'd be pretty sweet. I'd like to run a sub 15 again before the end of this year, but that might be unrealistic.
                  jeffdonahue

My easy pace is probably around 8:30ish with my PR at 21:00 for a 5K. I have never run consistently with a HR monitor so I couldnt tell you exactly how easy the 8:30 pace is for me, but I can hold a conversation pretty easily at that rate. The HRM thing boggles my mind. I tried it once for about 4 runs and I just didnt have the patience to run that slow. I hear it can really help though if you can keep it up for a good 6 months - maybe after I finish my current training plan that ends in May.

Slow-smooth-fast

here is what we did tonight at the track: 2x300m 2x400m 2x600m 2x400m 2x300m In between each rep was a 1 minute rest Overall average was 5:05 per mile, with mile splits of: 1-5:12 2-5:11 0.58-2:42(4:41 pace) I worked hard, and felt strong. There are 2 groups at the track, one for average runners like myelf, and one for the top runners, they do extra each set. In my group I lead for most of the intervals which suprised me. Really gives you a confidence boost, and I got a lot of praise off coach. Also noticed that the sub 40 10kers were quite a few seconds behind me each interval, so that is good too.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Eddy You have some good talent there and I would keep at it. It's great that you have got yourself into a good coaching /training group. work hard and keep at it. Cheers

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy You have some good talent there and I would keep at it. It's great that you have got yourself into a good coaching /training group. work hard and keep at it. Cheers
                          Thanks for that, nice to get a comment like that, as others have said that I shouldnt be doig these intense intervals, but they are payig off. Just for info: check out my new thread on this forum. What a treat!

While 5k training My easy runs are in the 7:45-8:15 minute mile range My fast runs are in the 6-6:30 range but I will only maintain that pace for 2 miles then back off to 7-7:30 range

Res firma mitescere nescit
                            Running in Tampa

Easy/long run pace: Usually 9:15-9:45, a little more or less depending on how I feel. 5K PR: 22:08
                                Best 5K last fall was 20:02. I have been running my easy runs at about 8:00/Mile and a weekly long run of 10-12 miles ranging from 8:20-8:30/Mile.

Ryan