Improving Your 5K

6 Month Training Plan to Go from 19:02 to 17:59 (Read 1058 times)

I have run on and off my entire life. Last month I ran my first 5k race and clocked 19:02 (a very painful feat). Winter is approaching in the great white north, and if this winter is anything like last, there will be a ton of snow. I plan to go to an indoor 400m track a few times a week, and try to get outside for a longer run, when the weather permits. My current training schedule is generally a variation of this: m - Tempo (10k with 3x 1k at 3:40/km) t - aerobic 8k w- aerobic 10k t - off f - hills 6 x 600m steep @ up to 95%maxhr or 6 x 400m @1:15per lap s - aerobic 10k s - off Given the winter weather constraints, access to a 400m track, and a solid base. Would it be beneficial to focus on speed, vo2max, and lactate threshold during those cold and snowy winter months, and then bring distance into the equation when the weather improves? I know this is backwards to what is recommended, but could it still yeild good results? Any suggestion for a good winter program?
    5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Your plan looks pretty solid. A couple thoughts, though. 1) Despite the weather issue, I'd advise increasing your mileage (er, kilometerage?) gradually. More distance, run a t easy pace, will buy you more in your off-season training than speed workout. 2) Your Tempo day really isn't a tempo run, it's an interval workout. Consider doing a traditional tempo run -- easy warm-up and cool down, and 20 minutes at about 4:00/km (your recommended tempo pace). 3) I like the hill workout over the track workout. Hills are running specific strength training, whereas 400m at 1:15 is a too-fast interval workout. There's a mantra on this site that gets repeated a lot, but it's worth repeating again. It comes in various forms, but the gist is that To run faster, you must run more To run more (w/o injury and overtraining), you must run slower. If you focus on piling on the distance (I know that's tough -- I used to live in Michigan) over the winter a and build a massive base, you can start doing some more focused interval work in the spring to really peak. MTA: you might want to make you log public so we can see what you're up to.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thank you for the input. You have confirmed what I feared---More distance over the long, cold, and snowy winter. ---- So be it. LSD it will be for me. I will try the tempo suggestion this week..
        5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I will say this about winter training. It sucks, but in addition to the physical benefits of the miles, you reap huge benefits from it psychologically. I always felt mentally tough after putting in a lot of miles in crappy, snowy weather. I convinced myself that my competition wasn't out there, and I was.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I will say this about winter training. It sucks, but in addition to the physical benefits of the miles, you reap huge benefits from it psychologically. I always felt mentally tough after putting in a lot of miles in crappy, snowy weather. I convinced myself that my competition wasn't out there, and I was.
            Agreed. I've been outside exclusively since mid January due to a broken treadmill. The wind and 15 degree nights sucked. Last night I ran a tempo on the treadmill and noticed a vast improvement.. Keep at it! Of course, now that the treadmill is fixed, they're calling for 65-70 for Friday - Sunday. I'll be back outside Smile