Highschool Forum

When people say how they work hard (Read 134 times)

clintmorningwood

What do you think when people talk about how they work hard (when talking about running)?

I do not like it. A lot of people say that they work the hardest out of any runner so the only reason people beat them is because they are more talented. Also a fast person on my team told me that if I worked hard I could be fast. 

I also don't like it when people pay complete disregard to their obvious talent and say they are fast because they "put it in the work"

TheFunkimon

i can see how that could get annoying. i agree. for example- last year i did basically no base for track but still ran 4:29. I know other guys that run 75 miles a week but struggle to break 4:50

Grade   400   800   1600    3200     5000

7        63    2:30   5:28       --       18:32

8        57    2:15   4:54       --       17:41

9        53    2:05   4:35    10:19   16:45

10       ---      ---      ---        ----      16:19

The 800m Runner

I always talk about the hard work I put in. There are people on the team that run only 10 mpw. Of course I’m going to tell them they need to work harder. In your case it seems you work hard and put in a lot of mileage, but little results, so I wouldn’t say that to you. Random question since slow high milage hasn’t worked well for you have you thought about altering your training? 

Prs:    200m     400m      800m       1600m      5000m

9th         ?             6x           2:3x           6:xx             ?

10th      24.3x     55.5x      2:11.2x       ?                 ?

11th        ?              ?               ?             ?            18:55

TheHurdler

Simi Valley HS Hurdler

I typically only talk about with someone if they obviously don't try to put the work in and if they worked hard they would be much faster. For someone that is already working hard and trying their best like most others on the team I wouldn't say anything about that to them.

One thing that bugs me is that one of my hurdling teammates says that I am only good through my natural talent. I am taller than this guy and significantly faster than him (Yes, I have a natural talent) but also something that I don't think he realizes is that I also work harder than him too. He just doesn't seem to see that part that I also work outside of practice and go harder than he does during practice, oh well, that's his own deal to think badly of me. /rantend

Prs:             Freshman         Sophomore           (Goals)

110mHH:   15.97                 15.71  (14.4)

300miH:     46.97                 46.18  (42)

HJ:               5'2                      5'4       (5'8)

5k XC:         20:26                  19:46

clintmorningwood

T8 I do plan on changing my training a bit.

During XC we did a lot of fast stuff, obviously that did not work well so I plan on capping my training load at 2 HARD days per week

Just easy miles worked out better but not perfect so I plan changing that.

Right now, I am just getting back into shape and getting back into running with some very slow runs. It is not easy to hold my summer easy pace. I am in a bit worse shape then I was last year. My easy runs now are at ~9:40, last year is was about 9:30

Once my easy pace gets down into a normal range (hopefully around new years) I will start adding some long tempo/moderate/progression stuff and more strides. Around February I hope my training would have progressed to the point where I can add in some tougher workouts and hill sprints.

I was thinking on capping my long run at 12 miles but adding some hill reps, long intervals, tempos, or a tough progression. The other days would be easy runs  with hill sprints or strides and a different workout from the long run midweek. 

Once the summer starts I would like to do a few hard tempos on my xc course, hopefully going under 20.

I plan on keeping plenty of easy miles because, well, I like it.

The 800m Runner

I know you really like easy runs at that pace; thats fine for some recovery days, but you won’t get much faster doing runs that slow. If I were you I would shorten the distance of the easy runs but up the pace just a little (not drastically, but enough so you’re strides aren’t really short/slow). As for the 2 hard days make sure they are hard, and kind of uncomfortable (If it hurts it works). Also remember you are going to need to run a lot of runs at your goal pace for the 5k to run it efficiently. Also if you plan on doing outdoor track keep the same thing in mind for the 3200m/3k and 1600m/1500m.

Another thing to remember is that the most important thing is the mental aspect. How ever you train, make sure you believe that it works. A race is and will be more mental than physical. 

Prs:    200m     400m      800m       1600m      5000m

9th         ?             6x           2:3x           6:xx             ?

10th      24.3x     55.5x      2:11.2x       ?                 ?

11th        ?              ?               ?             ?            18:55