Highschool Forum

running doubles (Read 12 times)

savage16

I'm a distance guy, and I want to keep up my endurance, but I REALLY need more speed.  So this season I have been focusing on running lots of 200's 400's 800's and hill repeats/sprints.  So all that to say, I am afraid of losing endurance with all this speed stuff.  Would it be alright to run 4-6 miles in the morning before working out in the afternoon?  Or would that possibly lead to burnout? I don't know, maybe I shouldn't worry about losing endurance at all.

GO PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 800m Runner

Depends on how intense the doubles are, and how easy the 4-6 mile runs are. I say you'll be fine though

Prs:    200m     400m      800m       1600m      5000m

9th         ?             6x           2:3x           6:xx             ?

10th      24.3x     55.5x      2:11.2x       ?                 ?

11th        ?              ?               ?             ?            18:55

you should be fine, if you are running at about 7:10-7:15 pace or a bit slower than normal training pace in the morning(5-10sec) then you shouldn't burn out it will make you stronger for sure, what is your favorite race? or what do you think you race the best?

savage16

I definitely run 5k XC the best.  The longer the better... Up to about 10 miles.  But the only races longer than 5k are road races anyway.  For school I run XC, then 800 (I have to go almost all-out for the whole race so it's pretty painful), 1600, and 3200.  The deal with the speed work was to increase my embarrassingly slow finishing speed (59sec is my fastest 400m)  so that I would actually be able to compete well in the middle distance races like 800 and 1600.

GO PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!