Highschool Forum

3k race pacing (Read 6 times)

savage16

So I've got a 3k this saturday, and i was curious whether any of you guys had some race strategy.  I've never run 3k before, I suppose I should run it like a two mile, but i never was very good at two mile pacing.  Thanks!

GO PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitcherpde

I have only run one and I made multiple pacing mistakes. I ran the footlocker 3k south regional. For XC I would advice going out very fast to get a good position, when I ran I got boxed in and couldn't accelerate mid race. On the track I would say go for even splits but try to increase your effort or else your slowing down. If its windy try to get behind someone which makes a huge difference. I had a meet two days ago and was going great for the first 800 of my mile and (2:33) and felt fine. Another kid and I broke away from the main pack but I led the whole was and got killed by the 20mph winds and got out kicked the last 200 and finished with a bad time of 5:15 (I also was very sick and coughed up some mucus the second half which also was part of the reason for my poor time)

Goals- Sub-5 mile; sub-11 3200; sub-2:20 800