Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - August (Read 605 times)

HappyFeat

Welcome rosinator & HappyFeat. Come on the rest of you admit it, how many of you got confused, just for a minute between HappyFeet & HappyFeat? HappyFeat, I can see your log - keep logging those miles I did get to the stage where my long run was consistently 13 - 15 miles but have since slacked off a bunch. You'll get there.

I'm running a HM tomorrow. The Hottest Half - As I sit here this morning at a similar time to that which I will be finishing tomorrow it 85F. I have not trained anywhere near enough for this race and the last two weeks have been a train wreck from a miles logged stand point. I'll probably run about 4 miles today to keep loose and go out tomorrow and try and enjoy the run a PR is not on the cards so I'm not going to push it.

Thanks for the welcome, Matt  For some reason, my Profile link wasn't showing and my photo was missing; but I just fixed that. So peeps can see I'm different from Happy Feet for sure.  I don't know why that happens to me sometimes. ANYway, look forward to your HM RR tomorrow. Know what you mean about the heat...We have had unusually warm weather here - it was in the 80's when I ran this morning - SOOOO not used to that! Still I set out to do 10 miles and did - yaay!  The last mile was hard of course, but doable. Last week, moving up to 8 miles, the last mile was doable, but hard.  Seems like that's always the way with a LR for me.  So with my every-other-day running, this week I did two 6's and a 10.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

first 'long' run since taupo today. 1:38:48 20km.  Was a very windy day so helped with my aim to "run longer, run slower" as a PB was never on today

Managed to cruise at a nudge below 5 minute km's. Felt good, felt easy, things are coming right after a crap week last week and with no effort at all I have run 6 days this week and clocked up just short of 60km.

Happy Days!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Ok, got itnow, Happyfeat. Nice  consistent running.

Great pace, Vino, very impressive.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Welcome HappyFeat!!!  I don't log my runs on RA, but if I did, our workout schedules would look eerily similar......runs pretty much every other day at 6 to 10 miles.  Great job and I hope the bursitis doesn't terribly impact your achieving your goals.

Matt, how did your The Hottest Half go?  Looking forward to your race report.   I posted my report from yesterday's race, which totally sucked!!  I hope yours was a way better experience than mine........

vinodrinker.......still amazes me, WOW......5 minute km's!!!!!  The fastest mile I have ever run was still slower than that and you use the term "CRUISE."  In my dreams.......in my dreams.

I hope everyone else is fairing well.............

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just finished my first 10 mile run. I ran the whole run except for water stops and it was great! Yay! Huge confidence boost in my training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Sean - I had a crappy race. Reading your race report it sounds like a similar story. I got owned in my HM today.  83F at the start and 92F at the end. Was hoping for something better than 2:14 got clocked at 2:20:52.18.
              It was too hot and I was not trained enough. I went out too fast and by mile 7 I was taking walk breaks.

Time to put this one behind me.

Nice work by the way Meg - at least somebody had a good run today.

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Matt, Sean:  Sorry to read that you both had less than ideal race day conditions.  That can make a HUGE difference.  I ended up bonking at the ING Miami last January due to the heat.  The last 2 miles were awful.  I can only imagine having to deal with altitude on top of the heat.  I think that would be like a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the lungs or something equally painful.   

I have a question for everyone.  I'm getting ready for my 1/2 marathon on Sunday in Minneapolis, and I'm really unsure about how to approach this week.   Based on my running log, what would be a reasonable week in mileage so I feel fresh and strong for Sunday?  I had planned on running 4 times this week (Sunday & Tue-Thu; 16-20 miles with one 4 or 5 mile tempo run on Tuesday) and not running at all on Friday & Saturday.  I'd appreciate any feedback!

Jeff - Just my 2c... Don't read too much into it.

You are running 6 days a week, 45+ miles on average with a long run around HM distance.
                  My tendency would be to keep the mileage up as long as you are comfortable? At least the 20 you were planning on.
                  I am sure that it is different for all but I have also found that with 2 days rest before a HM I am more sluggish in the early miles.
                  I have tried running 4 miles the day before the race with a rest day before that and it worked well.

Good luck whatever you decide. Let us know how you get on.

2017 Goals

Jeff, I like your plan.  That is basically what I try to do during  a race week.  I like two days off before a race.  However, as Matt suggests, I also have an ultra-runner friend who swears by a two to four mile easy run the day before a race.  I need as much rest as possible, so I hold those two days off to get good rest and hydration.  To each his own, but if you want to try something a bit different, you never know......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Welcome HappyFeat!!!  I don't log my runs on RA, but if I did, our workout schedules would look eerily similar......runs pretty much every other day at 6 to 10 miles.  Great job and I hope the bursitis doesn't terribly impact your achieving your goals.

Matt, how did your The Hottest Half go?  Looking forward to your race report.   I posted my report from yesterday's race, which totally sucked!!  I hope yours was a way better experience than mine........

vinodrinker.......still amazes me, WOW......5 minute km's!!!!!  The fastest mile I have ever run was still slower than that and you use the term "CRUISE."  In my dreams.......in my dreams.

I hope everyone else is fairing well.............

Chopper. Every man on the planet bar one has someone to look at that is faster than them and every man on the planet bar one has someone to look at that is slower than them.  I can assure you when i race there are people in front of me as far as the eye can see, people passing me etc etc.

Just like everyone else I look at people when I run and think "damn I wish I could run that strong" or "damn how does someone that body shape run that fast".   Its more the attitudes that demand respect.  I have a friend that runs, not very fast but is committed and determined.  That to me gains more respect than a lazy person with a bit of natural fitness and talent that pulls a good time.

Considering I have only been back in running seriously for about 9 months I am happy with where I am but I know now I have huge amounts of work to do to improve further.  I think on a good course on a good day I could nudge under 1:35 but the thought of 1:30 is just in dream land.  I think i am just too old to realistically get there but one goal at a time, we shall see.  My current programme is seriously hard work, working not only on milage but strength and speed too.  its tough especially in winter (which it is here still just) where hours of light and dry days are at a premium!

But....I hate running in the heat even more, I don't cope well. I sweat like a pig, it pours into my eyes and it just isnt pleasant!  That's when I pack up HM training and go hiking and drop my running down to 5-10km mode and just run mornings and evenings.

Good luck to everyone with their training.  It rained so hard here yesterday i skipped my 5km easy run yesterday which was probably a good thing as my track intervals on Thursday wore the old legs out (im not a good sprinter!!). Supposed to do a long easy today 18km.  I might make it a 20km.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

ran my 20km today in very tough windy conditions (first 10km into the teeth of a strong westerly) and then fell apart.  I think i am taking this type of distance way too casually now and paid for it big time.  I didn't eat enough last night, I didn't drink enough this morning and I have trained very hard over the last two weeks.  The legs were weary, the mind was too casual and it just was jsut pants. 20km is a long long way to run when it isn't your day

But "what won't fatten will fill" as they say and it is milage at the end of the day. I will take 2 days off running now, maybe a small hill hike tomorrow just to stretch the legs.  I am starting to think my new programme is just a little too heavy and performance is not as sharp as it was.  Maybe I will reap the benefits after a rest, who knows. We shall see.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Vino, you mentioned your age- do you mind telling us how old you are?

Your hiking and mountain climbing must be excellent cross training for running. Are these popular and common activities in New Zealand? I assume the legendary Sir Ed Hilary is still something of an inspiration to Kiwis, and you seem to have plenty of suitable terrain!

Here in Canada I would say that in our mountainous western provinces there are two groups, mountain bikers and  hiker/climber  types. Both tend to be environmentally aware ande to make lifestyle choices based on their hobby. (Sorry if this sounds like a sociology text book!) It is interesting to learn about other countries.

Anyway, I think you have earned a rest and need one.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Simon

40 next year, so not too old but we look for any excuse!  Hiking definitely helps strength and mental conditioning

Kiwis in general are a sporting people. But I wouldn't say hiking in NZ is a big sport which is a big surprise given the great 'lord of the rings' outdoors we have.  There are a few old timer types that are really into it and although kiwis love the outdoors it seems more to be the beach and water to me.  If you travel some of the great trails NZ has (and we have many absolute world class hikes), well over half the people you meet seem to be European tourists who are out enjoying themselves, underprepared asians and the odd loud american ;-) yep generalisations here no offense intended

Alpine climbing is small here.  Auckland is a long way from the nearest snow clad peak, most of the pristine climbing fare is in the south island, remote enough to make it the domain of the obsessed only more than the hobby climber.

I live in Auckland near NZ's biggest city yet when I hike the low bush clad Hunua ranges on the doorstep of the city I can often go all day without seeing another soul.  Too many people at the next shopping sale or fighting for carparks at a shopping mall!!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Hey gang. Complete slump-ola here! 12 miles in the last 2 weeks

Work has taken over I am doing a weekly commute for my new job in Virginia before the family relocates.

When I am up there it is, without exaggeration, about 16 hours of work/day and about 5.5 hours sleep. Th rest is either travel or eat time!

Running has taken a back seat. Sad

Even when I am home at the weekends I struggle to push myself out the door at the expense of the now precious time with the family.

I keep telling myself it's a temporary thing and that I will get back into it. Hope so.

This week I did read "Born to Run" though - great read.

Keep it up folks - I am runningvicariously through all of you right now! Big grin

Cheers! 

2017 Goals

HappyFeat

Hang in there, Matt. You'll get back to your running routine once things settle down. It's hard with a new job, relocating, all that. It doesn't sound like you're getting enough sleep - more important than running right now.

I did my planned 10-miler today on a flat route and it went better than my last two LR which were on a lovely, but hilly bike trail and were harder. Today I also walked one minute of each of about 5 miles and I think that helped.

MTA: I turn 54 tomorrow and I'm proud to say I can still run 10 miles. I don't know anyone IRL my age who runs or really exercises much.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.