Half Marathon Trainers

August (Read 28 times)

Zelanie

Well I am starting the month out feeling optimistic.  I am heading into peak mileage weeks for my marathon plan and will be alternating between mid-50s and low-60s for weekly mileage.  But on Hanson's, the long run is only every other week, which is nice.  On the off week, it's back-to-back 10 milers, which add some stress but don't take as much recovery.

I have just over 2 weeks left here in Costa Rica before I head home.  Time is going by too quickly!  I have a big bus trip and some teenagers to supervise in the days before my flight home, but if I time everything right I should only have to miss one run that week.  We will see.

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I did a 3 miler on the TM last night and it went OK. So today I am going to Pilates after work followed by a short run if I have time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Started August off with a 3 mile run with the humidity coming back..gah I hate it.  We have had the best weather for the last few days.  I have had to keep my runs short this week due to work and clases, but I figured 3 miles a day is better than none. I havea half in about 7 weeks so trying to plug along and still trying to do long runs by time and HR.   Just finished up my highest mileage month in a very long time. - not high compared to ther rest of you all, but high for me.  83 dasy of streaking so far.

D_R glad you are feeling better.

Zel - awesome running.  I tseems like you have been gone forever.  Gald you ahve been able to keep up your training plan.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Docket_Rocket

Morning, guys!  I did Pilates and 3 miles last night.  Planning on some miles with hubby tonight or 5 solo as my LR for the week.  Finally feeling better.

Babs, humidity is the worse.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Zel, I think back to back 10 milers are easier than a 16 mile run.

Barbs, nice streak. I'm no streaker. I might some day. But I like to have one day off per week.

Cyberic

I'm in my last week in Spain. I will be traveling one day out of two. Less running this week. I'm in Granada right now and have not found a good spot to run. I'll head out on Gran Via Colon and run it back and forth a couple of times to get a few junk miles logged. Tomorrow traveling to Valencia. Haven't looked for a place to run there yet. Wednesday traveling to Barcelona. I won't be living in the same place. I expect not to have a good spot. Friday, taking the plane back to Montreal.

Now out the door for a couple of miles.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 5 miles last night and they went great.  Tonight, it's either a bike ride or a short run.

Cyberic, is it already the end of your trip?  Man, time flies!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

redleaf

Wow. August. How did that happen?

I've loved your fb and blog posts Z. And hope you have a easy last few days in Spain Cyberic (and a safe flight home!)

Friday turned into a rest day; Saturday was an ab-focused yoga-type class. Holy heck did that hurt! I felt a lot like I was gonna puke. After I got home and showered and had some food I signed up to go next Saturday Smile

Today was my first intervals - moved over from Friday. They went well.

Goal pace was 6:43 km/min - I bounced between 6:21 and 6:45 so a little fast over all but close at least. AND I actually did it lol

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I participated in a local pilgrimage this week- we walked just over a HM distance, but with the crowds and a couple of stops, it took from 9 PM - 3 AM to do it!    With my run that day and some errands in the afternoon, I figure that I covered at least 25 miles, probably my highest single day total, although most of it was walking.

So considering that, I did skip my easy run yesterday and took it very easy- a short walk, and lots of stretching and rolling.  Today was my long run, up to 15 miles, and it went well.

I have felt like I've needed to adjust my LR pace and my MP pace runs a bit for the conditions.  It's not super hot here, but it is generally in the upper 70s with moderately high humidity (dewpoint around 66) when I run.  I have been mostly running in a gym which is a similar temperature to outside, but with less air circulation.

I don't seem to need to adjust the shorter speed intervals, but where it's been hitting me is on the longer pace runs.  I sort of adjust the TM to the effort that feels right for that run, and go with that.  Hopefully I'm not just making excuses for myself to slack off.  I feel like I'd rather run slightly slower, but be able to hold pace, than to start off on pace and end up wilting as I go.

D- Glad that runs are finally feeling "great" again!

Barbs- Nice streak!  I think overall mileage counts a lot more for fitness than how much you can cover in any single run.  At least, it seems to work that way for me.  In that case, you will be in great shape for your HM!

Eric- You are doing a fantastic job getting runs in while you're in Spain, bravo!  I do pretty well here because I have a family that I'm staying with and have learned the local parks and the gym, but I when I have had to travel to other locations, it's been really hard to find running spots there.  Hope you enjoy your last week!  I have 2 weeks left here.

Redleaf- Good job getting those intervals in!  And I bet that ab work is going to be great for helping you stay healthy for running!  I am glad you're enjoying the blog.  I think taking the time to reflect helps me to pay better attention while I'm here.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Chicago training starts today.  Pilates and 4 miles tonight.

redleaf, nice job on the intervals.

Z, I cannot believe your time in Costa Rica is coming to an end.  Time has flown.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

August starts with me in a big rut. I haven't run in 6 days and have some sort of injury. I have an appointment on Friday and hopefully will have a diagnosis. It's a toss up between shin splints, stress fracture, or maybe some other tendon related type thing. My suspicion is a stress fracture though.

Oh dear, I hope it's not a stress fracture, Mitch...

I should find and read everyone's blogs, interesting summer adventures in our group.

I took an extra day off yesterday, no streaking for me either, after a Saturday night out with the husband. Ran 9.7 today as my long run (holiday here in Canada), I took it very slow 15:1 run: walk and felt pretty good despite the 100% Halifax humidity (25*C). The  extra day off worked wonders, my legs have been a bit dead from the new schedule but felt a lot better today. Week 3 completed.

At the waterfront, which was much cooler you could see the warm fog/ steam swirling around your knees...

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, Mitch, good luck at the doctor.

ayola, nice run.

I have 5 miles and a PiYo workout tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Well, good news I suppose, it's not a stress fracture. He called it a soft tissue injury, or tendinitis. He gave me anti inflammatory meds, topical cream, and a Rx for PT. Hopefully I'll be back going in 4-6 weeks and can at least salvage my Sept half by finishing before the 3.5 hour cutoff. After that, I'll just focus on getting my base back under me.

Cyberic

That's good news I guess Mitch. At least it's not a fracture...

Rest well.

The last leg of my trip was in Barcelona. Our apartment was right in the middle of the action. I would have had to walk for a good 30 minutes I figured to find a runnable spot for me. So I just didn't run.

Yesterday, when I got back home it was 4 o'clock. After unpacking the suitcases, and having something to eat it was about 7. I felt weird but decided to go for a short 3 mile run just to shake all that airplane sitting out of my legs. I thought I would run like a rocket after two complete days off, but I was slogging. Actually I ran my usual easy pace but didn't feel too good. It was 1 AM in Spain time. Maybe it was that.

This morning I still feel weird. Jet lag I guess.