Half Marathon Trainers

Bring on October! (Read 31 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, here we are in October. Smile

This month, I'm running two halfs and I'm a bit nervous about it. I've never run more than 1 a year and I'm running 3 in 42 days. I know in my head I can do it, but I worry how I'll do. We are starting out here cool, on and off light rain, but very windy (currently 32 gusting to 46kph).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

I finished Sept with 96.4 miles, way better than August's 34.5. I'm looking for October be be great. I usually do a lot of racing, but am planning to scale back the paces some.

Meg. You are going to do fine with the halves.

Cyberic

Good racing everyone.

I haven't run since my race. I didn't do that last year, but I wanted to try it this year: one week (or at least five days, I'll see) without running. Played hockey on tuesday, biked to work and back yesterday and today, but no running. I might start again this weekend or next Monday.

After that I want to start running again, easy at first, and then work on my speed. Not VO2Max, just speed. And my form. Improve on my form while running slow and running fast. One month won't be enough for the form change to really sink in, but I want to try it at least. Lift my heels higher to involve the glutes more in my running.

No racing.

redleaf

3 days in a row of 5 km runs. I'm cautiously optimistic that I've finally shaken the double-duo of strep-cold from hell. And only 16.5 days out from my next half...

I'll try for a 90 minute 5:1 tomorrow if our son can pry himself off of me for that long (we're currently in BC visiting my husband's folks and Q has been extra clingy for the last couple of weeks). We fly home on Saturday so I'm hoping for a 10-11 mile slow slow slow run on Sunday.

I think I'm going to try and 1 mile or + streak in October which should help. I haven't told Toby this yet, I think I'm just gonna try and wing it Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Been MIA due to work.  Ran 7 miles on Wednesday, Pilates and 10 with 6 at MP last night, and today I have Pilates and 6 miles after work.

Meg, good luck with the two halfs!

Mitch, nice job on the miles!

Cyberic, sounds like a great recovery strategy.

redleaf, yay!  Hope you feel better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks, Mitch and D. I had a wonderful near 3.5 mile run yesterday despite awful wind (45 gusting to 59kph); paces were down and weather was crap, but I had company and that was a nice change. A friend runs with me on the rare occasion. This morning, it's below freezing, chance of wet snow and wind 30 gusting to 50kph. Forecast is -3*C/ 27*F overnight and Saturday daytime high of 9*C/ 48*F, but I don't know what the wind is expected to be. The wind has been nuts for days.

Lisa, if you are going to streak, let me know if you want log stocked. In December when the streak challenge came up, that helped. And I can't wait to meet you in TO (my first destination race). I've never done a race with a bunch of RA folk. That will make my second half this month so much better.  Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

October has been a slow month so far for me.  Rainy dar morning are making it tought to get in any miles before work and after work it is just not going to happen.  I got in 3 this morning and they were crappy miles and I just wasn't feeling it.  Hoping for better over the weekend.

Lisa you can do it, sometimes that 1 mile is enough to get you going and keep you going.

Meg - you can do them both and running with LLR is going to be such fun for you.  Going to miss it but will be looing on FB for all the pictures.

D - you may be MIA but I know you are still at it.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Thanks all! It's been harder than I thought to get stuff in this weekend - long day travelling yesterday and then today I spent a lot of time with my nephew visiting from PEI. So my planned 16-18km turned into 3!

But I'm just rolling with the punches at this point.

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Something is better than nothing, right? Good job!

Today I did a 1.5 mile run because that was what I felt like. My habit is to run the day after a race without a watch and run a known distance route so I can bail if I want to. First mile felt easy and the half mile was when my legs started to feel more tired. It was good to be out there. The one surprise to me in all the extra miles this year and with better training that I never thought about is that recovery from races is so much easier. I think it's easy to think of training in terms of race day experience and not recovery if that makes any sense.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Busy weekend with 6 on Friday (I did not want to run), 10 at the Tower of Terror 10 miler run/walking with hubby on Saturday/Sunday, and 8 last night.  I am exhausted.

SRD today, 6 days until my race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I did 5.25 on Sunday, and 5 today with 6x400's. Haven't done that in a while, it kind of whipped me. I got a new Garmin 310XT last Friday, so been learning a few new things. So far, I like the vibration at each mile, never could hear the beeps due to bad hearing. The other thing I think I will like, when I figure out what to do with the data is the HRM. Anyone ever use one? Any tips or pointers?

I put the HR up on one of the screens so I can see it. Today during the intervals, it went something like this. When I first put it on, HR was 58. During the 1st mile, it climbed to 144, then I took off for the first interval, HR climbed to 163, then back down to 148 on the recover. On the 6th interval, my HR was peaked at 168, and the recovery HR was like 156. On the last cool down mile, it settled down to about 146. What does all that mean?

Cyberic

I did 5.25 on Sunday, and 5 today with 6x400's. Haven't done that in a while, it kind of whipped me. I got a new Garmin 310XT last Friday, so been learning a few new things. So far, I like the vibration at each mile, never could hear the beeps due to bad hearing. The other thing I think I will like, when I figure out what to do with the data is the HRM. Anyone ever use one? Any tips or pointers?

I put the HR up on one of the screens so I can see it. Today during the intervals, it went something like this. When I first put it on, HR was 58. During the 1st mile, it climbed to 144, then I took off for the first interval, HR climbed to 163, then back down to 148 on the recover. On the 6th interval, my HR was peaked at 168, and the recovery HR was like 156. On the last cool down mile, it settled down to about 146. What does all that mean?

Hey Mitch, Those numbers look fine. HR goes up with effort, and comes back down with active recovery, and during the later intervals, the global HR tends to be higher than during the first, both during the interval and during the active recovery. That's what I observed of my own running when I used to wear the HRM, for over a year.

Back to the gym and the dreaded treadmill.  Wow it has been hot and humid in there and it feels so hard.  I have to make friends with it as it is just to dark in the morning.  Weekends when not workig will be outside.  Managed 3 miles yesterday and today.  also started back with light weight training, feeling that today.

MItch - Cyber hit it right on the HR.  Iam doing HR training now and it always spikes when I am pushing it and hills and then as time goes on.  It is nice to see here you are at depending on the training you are doing.  I am following the Maffetone method which has been very challenging as I have had to really slow down.  Since I am fairly new at it I am shure there are others here that know much more.  I beieve Damarais also runs by HR.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

streak ended yesterday and won't be running today either (donated blood this morning and have a sporting thing to go to with my dad after work and I won't get home until after 10:30 pm)

BUT that just means I can start again tomorrow right? Big grin

HF #4362

Yup, its getting super dark. My regular morning runs are getting curtailed to a few street lamp lit routes (and soon the treadmill, Im going to stick it out until the snow flies).

Lots of outside time this weekend - fossil hunt and exploring small town New Brunswick -  no running.

3.5 this morning - wow it was warm and humid just like end of August - and 4 yesterday on the treadmill, 2 at HM race pace. Although I'm planning on a slow HM on sunday, with a slower start (uphill), feeling slooow this year. A solid minute per mile sloooower.

Happy wednesday, A

Recalculating...