Half Marathon Trainers

February 2016 (Read 20 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Soon people will start posting again, races will get closer.

I registered for my usual fall goal half on Feb 01 when registration opened. Then I found some bravery yesterday and registered for the Regina Police Service Half on May 01. I've never run a spring half before. I've run 6 halfs in Sept and 2 in October. I've always been nervous about winter long runs and being ready for a spring half. Guess I'm going to do it this year! First up, Hypothermic 10K on the 21st!

Anyone else have races coming up? Or thinking about one?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hiya,

I got my February notice for the Halifax Bluenose promptly on the first too, its always the Sunday of Victoria day weekend (end of may). I'll probably sign up for the 10K this year and save the HMs for the fall. Planning on 4 day work weeks in July and August which really helps. I love a Friday morning long run!

Last week's weather allowed for dry street for two outside runs, yesterday was gorgeous with bright sun and temps on the plus side! Tons of folks out walking and running. Snow is coming at noon today so probably back to the treadmill tomorrow.

I'm still running very minimally but weight training, strengthening the back and working on a side project but im writing up a ten week training schedule aimed at the end of may.

Happy running out there, A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

Meg...I think you really are underselling your overall running fitness in skipping spring events due to the challenges of your winter runs being shorter. Sure, you'll usually lay down better times in fall events after a summer of workouts off the treadmill, but you have the running background to be able to go out and run a half or 10K on any day.  It's all about pace and energy management.

I ran a 10 mile race yesterday here locally which is always the 1st Sunday in Feb -- the weather was amazing, we were jokingly calling it the "early spring 10 miler" instead of the Mid-Winter 10 Mile Classic -- 35F, bright sun, light breeze. Speaking of pace and energy management...I thought for certain I'd be able to run at half marathon effort for the 1st 7-8mi then pick up. But by mile 7, I was cooked and faded all the way to the end. I clearly outran my training and paid for it, the last 3 miles stunk, just plain miserable!

What I'm trying to take away from this is to ponder when I knew I should have eased up, and why I didn't heed the signals.

Next up is just the general challenge of making it through February's weather and get through to March with hopefully a few runs over 9-10 miles.

Run strong!  Stay Safe!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Meg...I think you really are underselling your overall running fitness in skipping spring events due to the challenges of your winter runs being shorter. Sure, you'll usually lay down better times in fall events after a summer of workouts off the treadmill, but you have the running background to be able to go out and run a half or 10K on any day.  It's all about pace and energy management.

I've never thought about it that way. Thanks! I'm not a very confident runner. A friend told me I should do the spring race because it's the natural next step in my progression as a runner. I really want to have a great race and shift my own thinking.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Planned an 8 mile run today. Weather was fantastic -- full sun, just above freezing, not much wind. I ran 9.1 miles instead and felt good. My pace felt all over the place, but that's not unusual when the weather suddenly changes. Two days ago, it was -5*F/-21*C and now I'm running in 35*F/+3*C. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

Think I can sneak back in here?

Hello everyone!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Think I can sneak back in here?

Hello everyone!

Only in leap years...

Howdy Stranger, how's things ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Only in leap years...

Howdy Stranger, how's things ?

You know, me being me; running well, fall off the bandwagon, be miserable, start running again Wink

Planning for 2 halfs this year (in addition to the one I'm running on Sunday). Goal is, as always, to improve my consistency and lose some weight.

Do y'all have a race calendar going this year?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362