Half Marathon Trainers

Review of the year, plans for next year. (Read 573 times)

Kinda new here and been a lurker but definitely want to post my goals 2008 I wanted to do a 5K in less than 30 minutes and 10K in less than a hour and accomplished both. This was my first year being really serious with running and my first year with any races so I'm very excited. My last race will probably be a 4 miler on Thanksgiving day. 1000K which I will hit this week Smile More than double last years mileage For 2009 Run my first Half Marathon on May 2. To do this I want to maintain my fitness through the winter, running 15 - 20 mpw. I have yet to hit a 20 mile week...I've come close, but never gotten there. I hope to hit 20 and make that a normal for me in 2009 and then start my training plan late winter or early spring Want to try a Tri. I love to swim and have recently joined a Masters Swim Team. I definitely have a long ways to go to rebuild my upper body strength, but hope by summer to be ready to go. Add weight training....it's time I realize that running and swimming and yoga still aren't actual weight training and if I want to lose this last 5 lbs I need to at least hit the weights a few times a week. Run 800 miles next year You all are great inspirations, I am really enjoying reading your stories and RR.
    Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
      Ginny you have reached and passed a very important psychological barrier in breaking 60 minutes for the 10k, congratulations. From now on the progress will be fairly gradual, just chipping off little bits of time-but it does happen! I think two things I did really helped me at that stage, one was to gradually increase my long run till I knew not only that I could finish a half marathon, but that I could run hard at the end. The other thing I did was a one mile time trial, to see how fast I could run. When I knew that I could go much faster in short bursts I felt that by improving my fitness i would be able to go faster over a longer distance, even though it seemed unlikely at the time. Keep up the good work, everyone, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

I was hoping for a fall marathon next year, but now that I am dealing with stress fractures I am taking a step back. Not that I won't do it, but my goal now is to hold off on goals until I am recovered from injuries.
        Sorry I derailed this thread with my tale of woe, Simon. Now that I found out that I don't have any stress fractures, I can focus on healing right away, and set some goals for next year. The goals will pertain to how I train, and will not be race specific for the time being. This year has been a good year for me despite my recent setback. I set several PR's, and will probably run more miles than ever before in one year. Here is what I learned... Consistency works for me. As long as I am getting consistent mileage in I can be reasonably successful in races. Increasing mileage doesn't seem to bother me much. I need to be careful when I increase intensity. I have some flexibility issues. While running easy most of the time is the way to go, varying my pace is better even if it just means occasional strides or tempo runs. My hamstring issues that I had over the summer virtually went away after I started varying my pace. So, considering what I have learned here are my training goals for 2009. Get my mileage back up to where it was or even a little higher, and consistently keep it there. Cross train more, specifically for flexibility. I have started doing yoga, and my goal is to do that twice a week. Add intensity workouts, such as intervals. But do so sparingly, probably no more than once a month. Stretch after every run. I was getting lazy. I think that does it for now.

Not at it at all. 

MrPh! Woo Hoo for NO STRESS FRACTURES! I must admit, I felt your pain almost equal to you when you shared that.... as well as being so shocked that you could have them, as well as you train, and as much as you run.... I was so confused by that... Confused I am sure you feel a huge relief, and can now focus on training/recovering actively. Nothing crumbles the spirit more than not being able to participate in the sport that you love. I am happy for you. My 2009 goals: Keep up with my weight training to reduce my weight, and ultimately train better, and stronger run for fun, not to the point of stress over competing. continue to build all my great friendships here on RA become a mentor/coach for girls on the run- a charity for teaching young girls to train for a 5k that teaches them self esteem and self worth. Maybe a 2nd crack at a HM to see if I can acturally complete one UNINJURED. Wink Goes without say: Run Injury FREE. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Ringmaster

I've been slow posting mine, but . . . I'll close out the year racing one more 5k and 10k. South Florida loves this time of year! I need to get better about cross-training. Since I think flexibility is the big issue for me, maybe I'll finally investigate yoga more purposefully. I'd like to get in a sub-24 5k and a sub-54 10k. They're high goals considering my current PRs, but my recent accomplishment is leading me to dream big. I'd also like to race another half next year, with far less pressure, and run my first 26.2, with no goal but to finish happy and uninjured. I haven't set a mileage goal because all that training will leave me no option but to run a lot. And I should probably eat better. My weight is fine, but my diet could be loads better.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Ringmaster

MrPh, I'm so glad the diagnosis was good! I hope you're able to return to training form soon! George, congrats on impending daddyhood! Ayola, are you okay?

Mile by Mile

George, congrats on impending daddyhood!
                I think you meant to congratulate RunAsics (is his name George too?) Wink. I'm a Dad three times over Big grin.

Ringmaster

Tee-hee! My bad. Well, congrats to you on doing it three times. Two was enough for me. Sorry, Asics. Congrats to you!

Mile by Mile

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Tee-hee! My bad. Well, congrats to you on doing it three times. Two was enough for me. Sorry, Asics. Congrats to you!
                    Thanks! Too funny - no my name is not George. This'll be #1 for us. I should convince DW to name her Boston... then I'll be able to say "Miss Boston" to remind her of the sacrifice. Big grin I think it's a fair trade.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I'm totally fine, I'm just hating driving at the moment - thanks Vixi And DH got a new car out of the whole thing... I also forgot, for any folks located in cold weather world, its curling season! http://www.curlingrocks.net/ A

Recalculating...

I happen to live across the street from a very famous curler, "the Wrench" , Ed Werenich, multiple time Cdn. champion, and a great guy. Ayola, you may have heard of him? Asics, I just noticed the Murrayism in your sig., must be a fellow F1 fan, I assume? Back in the mid 1970's my best friend worked for the Surtees team, after being a fabricator at McLaren, and before a stint at Shadow building CanAm cars for Don Nichols. He has some good stories.... Sorry this wasn't about running-10.1kms easy pace, cold and light snow. Son getting ECG today, he has a heart murmur and irregular heart rate, he is concerned he may not be allowed to run marathons anymore, but thinking about taking up cycling, he has unbelievably strong legs, can leg press 1300lbs on a machine, probably better at cycling than running. Simon.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

SimomR: Yep, I have a nice listing of Murrayisms. I still watch F1 but not so much as when I was younger when we'd hit the pub to watch a race. I always used to follow Williams. Remember when they had cars with turbos and others without... "oh, he's turning down the [turbo] boost to save fuel"... as the car laps a regular engined for the 5th time then stops because he's out of fuel. Hope your son's EKG comes out fine... still, strong legs are great on the bike.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

jules2

Funnily enough just posted this on another forum. 2008 Reach 1000 miles for the first time ever, this does not sound much to you guys but for several years I've had tendon problems. In January I hit my first ever 100 month then things got bad. But in the last two months I've done 264 so I've only got 148 to go and I'm running better than I ever have before so wish me luck. 2009 Anyway ( fingers crossed ) on the 14 March 2009 I will be on the starting line of the Hague half marathon as a member of a Dutch Civil Service Team ( don't ask ) this is on the world record course ( 58.35 I think from memory) and we get a start just behind the elites so I want a sub 1.27.00. Plus 1500 miles for the year.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Spectaculaar time you're going for, Jules, that would put you in the top 3 in your age group at most races I expect!

jules2

Simon, we have a half marathon around Silverstone Race Circuit with around 6000 entires and I've been either second or third in my age group all three times I ran it. What made it worse is that it is a week or so before my birthday and one year had I been born a week earlier I would have been first. Hague is a fast course last this yearI had real problems and I finished with one functioning leg and came 764 out of 5765, no idea how I came in my age group.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.