Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers September 2008 (Read 680 times)

Hey Simon, Yes, the Masters Group is full of lifelong runners, that *yep* are a little intimidating, but they have been SO WELCOMING of me joining the group. Lord knows I have little to no experience to offer the group, but I certainly have the AGE. Shocked They are VERY ACTIVE on the boards, and a lively and fun bunch of folks. It's quickly becoming my favorite spot here on RA. Jump on in over there! Resting up for my race tomorrow. I will go out for an easy 2-3 this evening, to wake up the dead if you know what I mean, and then it's up early tomorrow, place my pretty pink compression wrap around my calf, and off to my HM. *On a Personal Note* A million Thank you's, and warm hugs would never be enough to express my gratitude to you all for the encouragement, support and true friendship you all have given me the last few months as I trained for this. We all know it's not the outcome I had hoped for, but I know I will have my dream race really soon. It keeps my excitement level up just dreaming of it. You all will be in my heart tomorrow when it starts to feel tough, and I know you will be sending me telepathic HTFU's tomorrow. Wink I Love you Guys and Gals, and Can't wait to post about my race! xxxoo Cheffy Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

GOOD LUCK, CHEFFY!! What time is your race? I want to be sending you good thoughts! My running partner and I are making the hour drive down to York, Maine tomorrow afternoon to pick up our race stuff. Probably not necessary to do it ahead of time, but it will be fun, anyway. She and I did our last run this morning - 2 miles in 20:46, which is fast for us! It felt good. My ankle is fine, but my arch is still a little sore. I need to get get some more ice on it. This afternoon I'm driving to Fryeburg, Maine for my son's XC meet. It's about an hour and a half away. A beautiful fall day for a drive! It was 39 this morning when we ran. Winter is coming, I guess. Simon, two months from now I'll be in South Africa! I'm getting very excited.

Prince of Fatness

Simon .... There's a good mix of runners in the Masters group. You shouldn't feel intimidated over there. I don't post there all that often but everyone's been nice to me when I have. Cheffy & Teresa .... Good luck this weekend. Have fun! I'm looking forward to your reports.

Not at it at all. 

GOOD LUCK, CHEFFY!! What time is your race? I want to be sending you good thoughts!
          Gun Time: 7:45AM Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Ringmaster

Cheffy and Teresa, I am getting all excited for you with your races . . . I hope you feel us "virtually" at the starting line with you. I can't wait to hear how your races go . . . We're counting on you to remember every detail. I have to echo Cheffy's sentiment. I am such a rookie runner, and am so thankful for the advice and support of this group. I don't have training partners in real life, but I feel like I've got a whole training group through this forum. Thanks for all the advice you've given me over the weeks and months--it's no doubt I'd be training a lot stupider without your wisdom.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Didn't run last night. Did my warm up walk and the leg was really bothering me. I test ran about 10 yards (twice) and the pain was not good, so I called it a night. Tonight is an off night any way and I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Fortunately, it's taper time, so I'm not in a panic mode or slipping into depression yet! Cheffy, Good luck tomorrow morning, go get them girl, Hope your outfit matches your pink wrap! Big grin Teresa, good luck on yours on Sunday as well. Big grin You might want to get up a little earlier and soak your leg in a hot bath to relax it. Have you been using the Ben Gay before your runs? Simon, I don't see a log entry from you for last night. Two days of running and one day of rest? Come on guy, let's get back wiht the program. Vixidu, As for running partners, I'm basically on my own and prefer to be mostly on my own (Worry about myself only), however once every couple of weeks I get together with a Tanya after work and will do an easy run with her. Had another occassional running partner but she's been sidelined with an injury unrelated to running. She just returned back to running this week. I had hooked her up with Tanya as well and they were trying to run several times a week together. The three of us did speed workouts together one night and that was okay, because we could all run at our own speeds and did not try to run together, so it was different. I look forward to seeing race reports from our two racers. As for support and this group, I'll ditto what's already been said and add that having you all as friends helps to put a little fun into it as well, because running 5 days a week gets a little boring at times and one thing about me, I hate "BORING". Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Larry, that made me laugh out loud! Back at it tonight, promise! Big car show this weekend for the Triumph Club, I am on the executive, used to be president, so have to volunteer to help set up and close down, plus register 1,000 LBCs (Little British Cars), so not much time for running. Good luck racers, have fun and let us know how it went. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

...And I do.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this HM forum. I've been running for about 2 years now. I try to go out for a run at least 3x a week for 5 miles a time and do a long run on Saturdays. In May I took a leap and ran my first 10k. I wasn't too nervous as I'd already run that far several times. Now I am planning a HM on October 18th. I've been increasing my long run and ran 10 mile long runs for two weeks in a row. My plan is to do two more long runs -- one 11 miles and one 12 miles before I taper. I woke up yesterday with a mild stomach flu so I hope to get my long run in tomorrow. My goal is to run the HM slow and easy, have fun and finish. Do you think this is doable?
                    Welcome to the group, Waffles! I see no problem with your plan to run your first half next month; you have 2 years of experience and "base" to rely on, just not much in the way of long runs. I would counsel not to push for a fast time on your first one, take it easy to the 10 mile mark and see how you feel, then speed up if you feel confident. Since you will have run 11 and 12 by race day you will know how you should feel and how strongly you can finish. Larry, I went out for 10k easy last night, so if I get in one more run this week I am ok. I did introduce myself over at the masters group, they seem friendly, I am just not sure I can talk about running with 60 year old men who can run 10 miles in 60 minutes, women who can do a 19 mile run in Alaska in January, and people who seem routinely run 70 miles a week-we are clearly not discussing things as equals! They do seem an interesting bunch, though. Next week is going to be very difficult at work, I work in a small office, only six people, just got a call to tell me the boss's dad just died (at about 90, so not completely unexpected) so I doubt he will be in this week. So running is going to be tough as I will be there at all hours. Simon.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Simon, the masters' board folks make ME feel welcome, so you should be fine! I've gotten some great advice from them. Some of us may get together to watch the Red Sox in the playoffs, too!
                        Wafles, welcome to the group. Simon, great job on getting back into the swing. Teresa, by now, you should be sound asleep, but good luck and i look forward to hearing your race report. Looks like I'm done again for awhile. The wife wants me to go to the Dr this time as the pain is in the bone. sshe's afraid I've got a stress fracture or something. Feels okay when I get up in the morning, but after any walking around, it gets pretty painful. Rested again today and will rest again tomorrow, which will be 4 days off and then will see what it feels like. I've worked too hard to miss this HM...... Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

...And I do.

Thanks for the welcome! I live in CA and am going to Louisville in a couple of weeks to run in a Susan Komen Breast Cancer run with some internet buddies -- we've never met so we will be meeting and running together for the first time. It is only a 5k and then the next weekend I will be doing my HM in the CA redwoods. Kind of excited about the whole thing!

50 halfs by age 50

Hey everyone! Can ya stand one more? This is my 4th year running...started as a walker but started running to get faster. I'm just about to start training for my 6th half marathon...Disney in Jan, followed by my 7th, my hometown Sarasota half in Feb. It will be the third time for me doing both races. I run Disney for fun with an internet group and will run Sarasota for a PR attempt (PR is currently 2:45:35). I'm not fast but I'm stubborn and trying to learn to run and train smarter and better. Good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Ringmaster

Hi, everyone. Did 13 on Saturday and felt really good, thinking of Teresa and Cheffy. Funny, the 6 today felt tougher. Simon, glad you're back on the roads feeling good and I know how it is when life gets in the way of your running. My dh just got out yesterday for the first time in about 10 days. He said it felt okay, though--I hope your longer days at work won't cost you much training time. Larry, no foolishness now. One missed race is better than a permanent injury. Be smart, o fast one. Waffles and Chimera, welcome! The more, the merrier. Waffles, I think your training to date will more than carry you to the finish line of your first half, and Simon's advice, as usual, is spot-on. Run this one to finish. See how you feel at the 10-mile mark and let it out then if you can. Congrats on setting the 13.1 as a goal, btw. Chimera, I'm on the opposite coast, in Jupiter, but I have family close to you, both in St. Pete and in Bradenton. I thought of doing the Gasparilla half, or maybe running my first 26.2 there. Maybe someday. Here's to good recovery for Cheffy and Teresa, and thanks for kicking off the season for us. It's really here!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

I was speaking to someone from South Africa today, Teresa, and asked her a few questions. I don't know what cities you are planning to visit, but apparently Cape Town, which is a beautiful place, is relatively safe and has a lower crime rate than Jo'burg or Durban. It is also near the main agricultural areas, so vineyards might be nice to visit as well as the beaches, Table mountain etc.I remember they used to have an ostrich ranch near there that was interesting. In Jo'burg make sure you hold tight to your purse, and keep it zipped up; there will be public service announcements and notices in the malls to warn you of this. When driving, try to roll through intersections, not stop at stop signs, and try to time traffic lights so you get through on green, as car jacking can be a problem. If you go running take it easy as Jo'burg is up on the Reef, at about 5,000 feet altitude I think. Try to choose restaurants with security guards in the parking lot so you car is not stolen or possibly blown up. My son says the food at Spur is not bad, a ribs, steak, chicken place, sort of fast food but quite nice, good salads. It has a Western theme, they give kids Indian headdresses for birthday parties, sounds bizarrely out of place in Africa, but then we have Australian themed restaurants here, so why not? Take lots of pictures! Simon.