Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon trainers - April '08 (Read 594 times)

Looking forward to all the race reports, guys! it seems everyone has been working hard on their goals, and I wish you all success in meeting them. I am running a very hilly course, and have a 10k race on May 4th, the following weekend, so don't expect a great time for my half, perhaps 2:05, but under 48 minutes for the 10k. I am hoping to run a faster half in October but that's a long way off. Did a group run with a bunch of marathoners from the running store last night, 105k, or 6.5 miles, steady pace. (I seem to be doing a lot of running at "in-between' paces, must get more scientific about this if I want to improve.) Anyway, one was a lady my wife and I know but haven't seen for a couple of years, ran a marathon in 3:55, 45-49 age group, and is going to Boston. Very pleased for her and impressed. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

enjoyed running this week. 8k tuesday, 10k wednesday, 14k yesterday - all easy (although easy pace got quicker through the week as my legs recovered from the weekend). having today off before the first of the club races at the weekend (3miles with a huge hill in it). i'm so glad harrier season has started again - i've missed club racing! also i'm "racing" a half on sunday. i've decided that success is judged by how close i can get to 2hrs - rather than how fast i can go. that way i stand a chance of actually sticking to training pace rather than racing it!
      wbertha

Did 4 mile tempo run at the gym last night. Tonight I was able to get outside for an "easy" 4 miler. However, work was very long yesterday, the night was very short and this was my third day in a row of running. Needless to say, the 4 miles today seemed harder than the 5 miler I did at a faster pace on Tuesday. Really need a good nights sleep tonight and my rest day tomorrow. Am looking forward to getting outside for my LSD on Sunday. I usually do it on Saturday but will be out of town most of the day and will only be able to squeeze in a short workout. Has anyone ran the Chicago Distance Classic? I believe that it is scheduled for August 10th this year. Best of luck to all in their upcoming races!!! wbertha

jules2

Decided to go for a long run but use my racing shoes, new socks and new othontics to see what they were like for my next half. The course I used is an old railway line converted to a bike track, took it steady on the way out as strond wind behind me and slightly downhill, hit the turn at 40:50 and finished in 1:22:40 which surprised me considering I've been laid up a bit recently. Trouble is my toes hurt and I have a blister on my heel. Good news is I've now done 52 miles this month which is already more than the whole of last month.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Nice run there Jules! I had to peek at your log 12 miles at sub 7 minute pace is one heck of a training run. Sounds like the rest may have been a good thing. 9.7 miles for me today. 2 weeks until my half & all systems are go! Smile Question for CarmelRunner, if I heard correctly the recent earthquake was centered in Carmel? Surprised

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Ran a 10K race today. I took 6 minutes off the same race as last year. My training must be paying off. Also, my friend and I both admitted that since we have been running longer distances we don't feel as tired as we used to for that distance. For some older women we consider that a positive. 7 weeks till my first HM!! Everyone looks like the weather has made a turn for the drier/warmer and that everyone is getting good training runs in...Happy running to all!
              Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                I haven't posted much on this board, but I am here. Saturday was my first 5k--my time was 29:43. It was so much fun--it really got me motivated to step up my training. The half marathon I am training for is in September, so plenty of time, but I want to be really strong for it.
                wbertha

Marsha, congrats on the great race. An improvement like that is fantastic. Have been having a bit of a sore knee. Well, actually just a sore spot on the inside of my left knee cap. Weird, I know. Not really painful when I run but more of a nagging soreness the rest of the day. Decided while in Madison to look at a new pair of shoes even though the old ones only have about 375 miles on them. Bought a different brand this time. Went for an 11 mile run in them on Sunday. They seem to be working well and in spite of my LSD yesterday, the knee feels better today. Maybe it is too early to tell but it might have been my shoes. Hope it is that simple. But then again, it really wasn't a huge deal anyway. Just want to be in the best shape possible for my race in five weeks. I am doing a 2 mile small local charity run next Sunday. Not really expecting anything. Just going to call it my speed work for the week. Don't really want to go out so fast that I end up injured or something foolish happening. Good runs to all, wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Lots of good runs posted here. Yesterday i ran 11.3 to finish just below 38 for last week. My half is Sunday, so it will be a few days of easy running then time to let it rip.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck with your HM, Mr PH! Sounds like you're in great shape for it.
                        Well done Marsha and waytogomom! Good luck on Sunday, Mandy, I am running the same day, we'll have to compare notes. Tapering this week so not much activity to report, but i tracked my friends progress at Boston, nice even 5k splits, the one after heartbreak hill in 29 minutes, all the others around 28 and change, finished in 3:57, a great run. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

thanks simon - good luck to you too. i think mine is actually the same day as your 10k - may 4th so i've got an extra week to wait. will be looking forward to your race report. overall i'm starting to think i peaked a few weeks too soon. i don't feel anything like as good as i did when i ran round the vines about a month ago Sad
                          wbertha

Good luck with your HM, Mr PHin. We will be waiting for your race report. How do you know how to train so that you peak at the right time? Just a question as I don't think this is something that I need to worry about. I'm still at the "I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...I think I can..." stage of running when it comes to a half marathon. I really need to work on the positive thoughts. I have managed 13.1 twice before so I should be able to do it again in about 3.5 weeks. Then why do I continually question it???????? Did a nice 4 miler OUTSIDE today!!! It was great. The snow and ice have finally gone. There were thunder storms earlier today but they had cleared out by the time I got off work. It was about 73 degrees with some wind and partly cloudy. Felt great!!! wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Thanks to all for the well wishes. In regard to peaking, I'm no expert, but I have had races where I thought I peaked too early and did great, and other races where the opposite happened. Injuries aside, I try not to dwell too much on how I feel. Instead I just follow the old saying ..... Trust your training.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

Wow--lots of racing coming up in this group! With your base mileage, you are in great shape. We have so many fast runners in here! MrPH, I know you are going to be fantastic. I can't wait to read your race report. I'm sorry I've been so absent from the group. I've actually been training well. I increased my mileage to about 32 mpw, but apparently not slowly enough. My knees are giving me enough trouble that I finally listened and have decided not to run at all this week until I can see the ortho. I have an appt for tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping his diagnosis is nothing distressing and I can return to the road, but until he gives me the go ahead I'm too scared to try it and make it worse. I'll let you know what he says!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile