Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - June 2011 (Read 482 times)

So here we are in June.... already!

As we approach the mid-point of the year many folks take a quick check of the goals that they set for themselves at the start of the year and see how they are doing.

For me, on the back end of missing many of my 2010 goals I set myself 3 goals for 2011:

1) 200 lbs by the end of 2011 - I have realized that I just don't take this one seriously enough. I eat too much and drink too much beer. I weigh 207lbs this morning. I was 214lbs at the start of the year. I think this is good luck as it's certainly not good planning. If I meet this goal it will not be due to any diet!
    2) Break 2 hours in a HM - again! - I was shocked that my pace in races came back so quickly. I ran 1:52:19 @ the National Half on 3/26 to meet this goal and set a new PR
    3) Run 1,000 miles for the year. - At this point last year I was on pace for 1500 miles then went through a corporate relo and finished the year with 900. This year I have just passed 500 miles but I am 3 weeks away from moving house again. My plan is to desperately try to average 20 mpw through June & July then ramp back up in August. I really want to meet this goal as it will represent a consistency that has failed me in the previous 3 years.

In summary - running year is going OK.

Inspired by vino and hoping to tempt red to do the same thing ... I'm adding one more goal:

4) Run my first marathon - I am entered in the Dallas White Rock Marathon on Sunday December 4th 2011 (so no Vegas for me). I've run the half here a few times - It's a good race.

WRM

How's it going for all of you? Whether you had goals you shared or you were just keeping track in your head let us know how you are getting on.

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Excellent, Matt! You are well on your way.

My son and I both lost weight a few years ago, not by dieting but simply by gradually reducing the amount of stuff we ate that was obviously a bad idea, like donuts or birthday cake etc. I have not completely stopped eating these things but I eat more good stuff and less bad, and have maintained my weight within a few pounds for the last 2 years or more, no effort required.

Of course we are all built differently and have different metabolisms, but I think this approach works for the long term.

Anyway, congrats on the marathon entry!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, I set three goals for the year as far as running.

1. Improve my 10k PR.

The last six weeks have been very consistent for me and higher mileage than I've had going into this 10K the last two years. I've got a 10K on June 12. I'm hoping to break my current record. I think I'm in better shape than I have been. I've got a second 10k in October, but I want to break this record now. I think I can.

2. Improve my half marathon time.

Nothing to report here. I'll start training toward this in a couple of weeks. The race is 9-11-2011. It's the same race I did last year for my first half. I've got a much stronger base going into training.

3. Mileage goal 600 miles (stretch 650).

I'm low on this one, but I think I can still hit it. I'm about 70 miles behind where I should be. That seems like a lot, but I'm not worrying about it. If I held my mileage where I am to year end, I'd hit it, but I expect to increase in half training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

My goals and aspirations this year were really more non-running related than running.  But still - of the running related ones:

2500 miles - 5 months in and I'm at 1095 miles.  Nicely on track with marathon training for NY still to come.

87 minute half marathon - My PR was 1.33.09 when I wrote this.  I ran 1.32 15 in Feb.  Will try to get close to 1.30 this weekend. How on track or not I am will become obvious then!

Weight - at or around 125 (maybe as low as 120 for racing) - I was 130 when I wrote this.  Have been down to 124 (for my target race in April).  Currently 127.  

Beginner all over again

Goals

1-- Remain Injury-free

2--Lose These 20 pounds I gained back

I've been walk-jogging for 10 weeks and have Not lost an ounce.

It would be nice to lose my extra 20 pounds by year end.

I have No Idea how to accomplish this.

Lately I'm trying to keep Carb grams <100 daily.

Not sure whether it's working

3-- Finish my 2nd HM

It's in the fall. 

I'm going to run it at HeartRate increments.

Hope I come in under 3:00 hours

Training so far has been incremental increase of time on feet and seems to be working .

I have HM#3 in Feb that I should be more ready for.

In May I might do a full, or my 4th HM

Smile

an amazing likeness

Since I've posted June goals in another group, I suppose it would be cheating to have a different set here in HMT....I thought about it though.

1. 200 miles

2. 27 run days (or the real goal to take 3 days off)

3. Add 1 "speed" (I heard you laughing at me calling it that...!) session per week. Move mid-week longish to 10 +/- miles.

4. Stay ahead of Ileneforward in ytd.  (huff, huff)

Really my overall goal for June is to setup for trying to hit "lifetime" PR (not post-accident PR) in 10K and Half in the coming months.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

More about the journey for me this year.  I want to broaden my running skill, try more distances/ disciplines and run a succesful Marathon.

Success for me for my first Marathon will basically entail 1) Getting over the line in good shape.  I do not wish to be ambulence fodder and 2) Hit my target time. 3) Eat like crazy 4) Sleep alot.

I haven't decided on a target time yet. Could be anywhere between 3:30 and 4:00.  At the moment I just dont have the experience over 20km to make that call. That will come with training over the coming months.

I haven't thought about a milage target this year...taking one month at a time but will be aiming to get well up over 200km a month as the body allows.

After the marathon I am going to look to move to trail running more with the aim to complete the 75km (3500m total ascent) Hillary Trail in one day sometime over summer (run and fast hike it).  I also want to run/hike the Tongariro Northern Circuit in a day (42km - circles Mt Doom) possibly with the kids this summer.  I know they have the endurance for a day that big if we pace it well and make it a very full day (they have already easily managed a 12 hour day at the Tongariro Crossing trip (18km) taking in two summit sidetrips incl the volcano in the foreground of this shot you will know as Mt Doom) ....some of the worlds best scenery too around here Smile

On part of the Northern Circuit/ Tongariro Crossing

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great photo!

Can someone remind me again how long it takes to get used to warmer weather again? I think that's what took a good bite out of this morning's long run. Yesterday it was barely above zero and the furnace was kicking in. Today it's full sun, no wind and 25*C.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I hate running in the heat.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Hot and humid here! not pleasant.

You guys living in NV sure have some great natural scenery to look at!  There are certainly many beautiful places in Canada, but they tend to be on either coast- I live in the middle!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hot and humid here! not pleasant.

You guys living in NV sure have some great natural scenery to look at!  There are certainly many beautiful places in Canada, but they tend to be on either coast- I live in the middle!

There are beautiful parts in the middle too, says this Sask runner. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Loves the outdoors

My goal half marathon is on the 19th, so 10 days away. I have a cold. I am coughing up rubbish and I've had to cut my running way way back. Please tell me I will be better by my half. Please.....

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hi NZrun

sux that you have a cold. I have been lucky to skip them for what seems like a couple of years now

don't take this as good advice as i wouldnt know but if it was me id train anyway.   Would feel like rubbish but id just do it anyway

just me and please more experioenced folk jump in here!! Shocked

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My goal half marathon is on the 19th, so 10 days away. I have a cold. I am coughing up rubbish and I've had to cut my running way way back. Please tell me I will be better by my half. Please.....

If a cold is in my head, I run anyway, but if it's in my lungs, I rest. Ten days can be a good chunk of time to feel better.

How long have you been suffering?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Beginner all over again

I hope you feel better soon !!