Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

VixDu, I hope you aren't suffering form the same thing I've been nursing. I just looked back at my log today and now realize, that it's actually been 4 weeks since I haven't done any serious training and two of those weeks was like nothing at all. There was no question in my mind, that the only cure was rest and it wasn't something I could work through. There is still a little sorness at times and an occasion pain to remind me to be careful. At least for the past week I'm running although not a lot and not fast and certainly not any real hills. My pull was just under the calf muscle where the calf muscle just starts to form and I pulled it on a hill. I can't tell you if yours is the same and whether or not to run on it or not, you've got to judge that for yourself. The best I can do, is to get you to listen to your body and let it tell you what to do. Take care and good luck. Larrry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I've gained 5-6 lbs while being inactive as well. Hopwefully as I swing back to some heavy training and logging more miles, that will go away just as fast. One of the problems was having too much time on my hands to eat and enjoy a few extra cocktails. Big grin <quote . i've gained a few pounds back, so i have to make sure i get to the gym more often! .="" i've="" gained="" a="" few="" pounds="" back,="" so="" i="" have="" to="" make="" sure="" i="" get="" to="" the="" gym="" more="" often!=""></quote . i've gained a few pounds back, so i have to make sure i get to the gym more often! >

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, Larry, those cocktails will do it. DH kept bringing me drinks by the pool last week! Hard to refuse a good gin and tonic when you're basking in the sun.
          Wow the injuries sure are beginning to mount yes? I don't know that I " Have" an injury, just don't want it to become one.... my knee is not sore, only really tight after running.... Yesterday was a rest day, typically the day after the long run is when the tightness is the worst, but I wore my knee brace yesterday and there was no pain to speak of. I too, always have tight calves, soleus muscles. Today while sitting on my couch, I used my electronic pillow massager thingy and placed my calves on it to do some heated massage..... hurts worse to do that than to run. When I rest, I hurt. When I run, I don't..... What's a gal to do? We are headed to the gym this evening for mixed cardio/strength training. I think I will not do any treadmill running, just to rest it a little more.... Hub on the other hand: Seems to have picked up bi-lateral runners knee.... Angry he was the warrior in our training, running so well, and nicely increasing speed.... enter the hill workouts, and Presto! Knees that seem to think something different. He is opting for eliptical training this week, as the pain is not severe by any means, but stairs are definitely an issue. He is also going to do some quad strengthening. Just want us all to achieve our goals and wants.... seems like such a bitch now doesn't it? Undecided

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, my ankle is like that - I don't feel it when I run, but then several hours later it's irritated. My PT said I should make sure to use ice right after each run, even if it doesn't hurt then. I hope you and your DH get back on track quickly. Yep, it's very frustrating. I try not to think about it too much, or I get discouraged.
              Maybe we should retitle this thread "Walking Wounded" Is it just that we are breaking down or what? I will say, I pushed my run tonight. Was going to do 5 miles, but after my walk and stretching, it started to rain pretty good. Normally I'd say the heck wit that and go home, but I need the runs. So I opted for a 5K. Didn't realize how fast I was running and the rain opened up to a real down pour so I just said oush it and get it done. Ended up running a 7:18 pace with no pain in the leg. However I didn't ice it tonight (I was so fing wet, I just went home and didn't think about it and then tonight sitting watching TV, it started bothering me. Feels better now after stretching. So I'm getting some speed back, so now I have to get my base built back up. My next HM is now only 8-9 weeks away, so I've got to start getting long runs in again pretty soon. Well everyone rest up and nurse those injuries or those minor pains (to make sure they don't become injuries) Larry PS Teresa, has DS (and/or you) started training with Blsaine yet?

LPH

Barcardi and diet cola (pepsi preferred), but sounds like my type of vacation Cool
                LOL, Larry, those cocktails will do it. DH kept bringing me drinks by the pool last week! Hard to refuse a good gin and tonic when you're basking in the sun.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, I'm taking DS16 (how can he be 16 already??) to run in a 5K race tonight (it's one of a summer series) that Blaine will also be doing. We're going to come up with a plan for coaching at that point. I don't think coaching will help me right now, until I build up some mileage again. DH is encouraging me to run less to let my ankle heal more completely, and I think he's right.
                    You know Teresa, I hurt my heel pretty bad in a race in February, and it took me out for 5 weeks. That heel still hurts daily, especially when getting up in the morning. It was diagnosed as Peroneal Tendonitis, but I really don't think that is what it was..... I think running will eventually make it stronger, and heal more completely. You and I run very similarly from both a mileage and a pace standpoint. The bad thing about the whole injury process is so damn long, you lose more conditioning by the hour it seems. The only thing that heals injuries is stronger muscles and tendons etc.... the only way we get there is through toughening them up by either smarter running, or specific exercises. At the gym last night, we spent some time with one of the Trainers who is a runner, and he said, " You know everyone is going to tell you to do quad strengthening exercises, and the only way to really get stronger quads is to keep running".... Confused I think fear of the injury keeps us from toughening up to push a little harder. JMO. I got on the ARC trainer last night, and set the resistance to a whopping 60 and did 25 minutes at that resistance, and my quads were burning when I got off.... I think both my Hubby and I can overcome our knee issues on that machine alone... withought ever having to do a painful lunge. Hope you get back to your full training schedule soon.... Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the advice, Cheffy! That's actually helpful to know your heel still hurts every day. Gah, I'm such a newbie that I have a hard time knowing when to HTFU and when to back off. For my run tomorrow, I've told my RP that I want to go mile by mile and play it by ear. I really don't mind some pain as long as I'm not doing long-term damage. I know what you mean about quads - I do NOT like quads - seems like I'm putting pressure on my body in bad ways. I will try setting the resistance higher on the arc trainer - I think 35 is the highest I've gone so far.
                        Just run...... run like you used to, easy nice pace, and see if you don't feel better for it.... I ended up having to take a prescription pred-pak to stamp out the pain in my heel to let the tendons heal, but the pain was completely gone from the acute strain in just 4 days.... after weeks of stretching and icing did NOTHING. I had to work out in the midwest, and had an imobilization boot on my foot the whole week, and my foot would swell at the end of each night. I Iced, and Iced, and Cried..... and cried harder. I just wanted to run again..... That following Tuesday I went back for a follow up with the ortho and demanded the pred pack and I was healed in 4 days and running again 1 week later. Now, Granted, prednisone is a dangerous drug if taken in excess, but a 5 day therapy did what icing and stretching were not even touching. As I said, my heel still is sore in the mornings, but after I put on my flip flops, and get up and get my pot of coffee on, and let the dog out, I am pain free, and it does not hurt when I run at all..... Sometimes at the end of my long runs, my heel aches a little, but I stretch it, and feel fine by the end of the day.... We'll get through these things together, that's what the support is for! Wink

Let us know how DS16 does tonight. Also, don't be afraid to talk to Blaine about your injury as well. He seems very experienced and may have some recommendations. Something you might want to try (and this goes for you too Cheffy), is before you exercise (run or gym) put some Ben Gay or ICE Ointment on the area. Let it have a little time to set in and start working before you exercise on it. Glad to see that I'm not the only one that likes my cocktails when I'm relaxing. Then for meals, (as we have discussed Cheffy) it's wine time and the better the meal, the finer the wine. Of course if Cheffy was doing the cooking, it would have to be very fine wine Big grin Oh, by the way, I don't do much quad work either, I just try to stretch them a lot and let my running build them up. Larry
                          Larry, I'm taking DS16 (how can he be 16 already??) to run in a 5K race tonight (it's one of a summer series) that Blaine will also be doing. We're going to come up with a plan for coaching at that point. I don't think coaching will help me right now, until I build up some mileage again. DH is encouraging me to run less to let my ankle heal more completely, and I think he's right.

LPH

Let us know how DS16 does tonight. Also, don't be afraid to talk to Blaine about your injury as well. He seems very experienced and may have some recommendations. Something you might want to try (and this goes for you too Cheffy), is before you exercise (run or gym) put some Ben Gay or ICE Ointment on the area. Let it have a little time to set in and start working before you exercise on it. Glad to see that I'm not the only one that likes my cocktails when I'm relaxing. Then for meals, (as we have discussed Cheffy) it's wine time and the better the meal, the finer the wine. Of course if Cheffy was doing the cooking, it would have to be very fine wine Big grin Oh, by the way, I don't do much quad work either, I just try to stretch them a lot and let my running build them up. Larry
                            I second the Idea of talking to Blaine.... He is probably a great resource for Injury recovery.... Larry: Fine Wine is always on my menu.... That's why I am busting my ass in the gym so I can continue to drink my wine! Big grin

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I hadn't even thought of asking Blaine about my injury - duh! Good suggestion! Does prednisone help with achilles tendonitis??
                              Ringmaster

Walking Wounded . . . really! Hey, I'm happy for the recommendation of the BenGay before running. I might try that. I wonder if I overstretched maybe before running? After our conversation about stretching I was trying to be more conscious of my own habits and I wonder if that did it or if it had nothing to do w/ it and it's just an overtraining thing b/c I've increased my mileage of late. Another rest day today after all. Leg felt great but as all of you pointed out, another rest day's not gonna hurt anything and running on an injury just might. Larry, I didn't feel it when it happened, there was just a soreness there when one of my easy runs was done. The funny thing is I've started gaining some weight already--maybe the increase in mileage? I swear I'm always hungry lately. Okay, rookie question--again. For those of you who do gym work: I was told by my ortho I should do quad strengthening stuff too to help with the patellar tendinitis issue, but when? Do you do it on days off? On running days, immediately after the run? I know, this is so stupid, but I cannot seem to find a time to do it that it doesn't leave my legs weak for the run, so I'm hoping to hear how other runners do it. Am I just doing too much of it?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile