Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

New year is here! I'm shaking off a lousy December (although really good running year overall) and looking forward to getting back on track. I did 7 races last year and I think all were races I'd like to run again. Off to Resolution Run 5K in about half an hour. Not expecting to PR, but just need to get out there and break in the new year running. Get that log started for the year!

Happy New to My Fellow Halfers! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

I did my part to start us off --- I stayed up and ran a mile at midnight - with a pink sequin tiara on my head! DH went to bed and then got back up to run it with me - chivalry is not dead!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Thanks for starting us off Meg!

Ran the Resolution Run, slowly for a bit then some tempo, then ran back to meet my wife and two friends, couldn't find them so tempo'd back to the finish, then jogged back, found them and walked to the finish again. Now on a pace for 3650 kms this year!!!

Got a really interesting running book for Christmas, "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn.  Informative and with a light humour I enjoy.

Happy New Year all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Happy New Year everyone!

Started the year off right by running 3.25 this afternoon.

Thanks, MT, for your year end summary, which I just read.

You and Matt have really become the "leaders" of the group through your involvement.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Happy January, all!

I started the year off with a 3 mile recovery run yesterday. Training now starts for my 15K in March.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

This morning marked my first run of the year, a cold 4.5 miles in the dark. Today will be a double. I need to start this year off with some consistent mileage. I would love to work up to some 70 mile weeks, but I took December pretty easy.

On the plus side, my sister bought me a Rock and Roll Tour Pass for Christmas. Looks like I can run as many halfs as I can schedule in 2013 (and maybe a full or two) Smile

--

Nashville, TN

hog4life

8.12 miles done with a couple big hills that forced me to walk a little, no big deal though as OA pace was 9:47. I used this MLR as a sub for 25 minutes hard tempo.

Nice run Mitch!

5.25 last night in a cold and lonely Verona Park.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

So, now does this sound - I have 10 (well, 9.5 really) weeks until my first 15K of the year.

I have an awkward work schedule - rotating 12-hour shifts - that I have to deal with, so a standard training plan just doesn't fit.

What I intend to do is this:

I will do 1 interval run and/or 1 hilly run per week

I will do 1 long run per week, starting with 8, then 9, then 10, then 11, with 2 cutback weeks.

I'll taper the long run back the week before the race

I have to schedule my more vigorous runs for days when I'm off work, and stick to easy runs on work days, especially day shift when I don't have much time to squeeze in the mileage.

As I progress through my long runs, I will dedicate an increasing portion of the run to 15K pace, based on my VDOT. I had some success with this approach for last year's HM (my first) and was surprised at my ability to finish within 7 seconds of what Daniels' predicted.

I tend to stay a little loose with the schedule, moving things around a bit to accomodate weather or soreness or other surprises.

Any suggestions as to how I can get better "bang for the buck" with my training?

BTW, I'll be in the 25-30 mile/week range.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

vegefrog

So I have some news...

I'm 10 wks pregnant! LOL!

There go my plans to BQ in Feb!!!!

This was supposed to be an impossibility due to the chemo I had and test results that we did for fertility. So it's a MIRACLE BABY! While I'm super excited and feeling very blessed...I'm also dealing with a tiny bit of disappointment Sad I had such lofty running goals for 2013!!

I'm gonna keep running as long as I can, just tone down the intensity and maybe the mileage. Doc says it's fine since I was already running. Hey this baby has already run one marathon!!

I still plan to do a half marathon on Feb 9th, and I changed my registration for NOLA to the half as well. I'll just take those easy and sight see along the way.

Plenty of running to do left in my life and what a challenge it will be to get back in shape after the baby comes Smile I'll just move my BQ goal to 2014!! HA!

HF that is so awesome that you did a midnight mile!

Simon, I went to check that book out at the Library and it was checked out...I'll keep it on my list since you said it was decent.

Looks like everyone is getting some good mileage in already for the year! Keep it up Smile

HappyFeat

(((Big Hug))) to Vege - congratulations on your Miracle Baby news. You will be an Awesome Mom!!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Happy New Years, guys!

vegefrog, congratulations!

Damaris

Vegefrog, awesome news, congrats!

3 miles tonight in the park.