Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

Thanks Tom, got it!

I often do fast finish runs but that's more like gradually ratcheting up the pace over the last 4kilometers. Idea is to be able to run hard for the last part of the race- I don't really care about a finish sprint as I absolutely cannot sprint- I ran a 400 recently in 83.07- pathetic!

Jerry, thanks! That's a great story by the way- my son got me into running as he lost a lot of weight and got into shape and made me realize I needed to do something too. Cancer runs in my family, and I have some hope staying fit will improve the odds, but I also enjoy the competitive aspect, and frankly, feeling that I am in better shape than most guys my age.

My wife has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, she also has asthma which makes it tough to do much walking. She is, err, short for her weight, and hopes to work on that somewhat.

Ran intervals today, 5k warmup then 8x400M. Ran them in around 105 seconds each, about 7:00/mile pace, 13:58 total but I did not time the individual splits, sometimes I am funny that way.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Based on the weather forecast and a couple of deliveries due tomorrow, I decided to do my interval training today instead of tomorrow. So, 5 miles with 2X1 mile @ about 5K pace. When I hit 4.89 miles, I cracked the throttle wide open and sprinted (sort of, my sprint pace is pretty pathetic really) to the 5 mile mark. The proverbial moth finish. Smile

Mitch, I've already signed up for the 4 bridges. I'd love to do the Chickamauga half again, but I'm working that weekend. But at least I'll be able to do the 15K at the battlefield, which is also very nice.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4.5m on the streets @ 9:30.  Didn't think it was that fast, but I have a speedy RP dragging me along.  Hope  the forest preserve bike path melts tomorrow, so we can do the overdue LR.  We need to start running those bridges since our race has a 120' elevation drop.

hog4life

Simon, I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not when I started in this group, but I just beat colon cancer(Aug 28th, 2012). You can see the drop in my mileage for Sept, which was spent recovering from surgery. I had a pretty consistant 100+ mpm going into it, and I'm a very firm believer that being fit helped me recover so quickly. I'm not sure if it will help prevent cancer, but it sure could help in the recovery. I posted a big story over on RWOL before it took a nose dive. Speaking of RW, did this group migrate from over there?

I should go see if I can find that thread so it's not lost if they completely dump the old threads.......

3.25 tonight on the TM for me, fighting a cold so I stayed inside.

Zelanie

Got my 7 mile MLR in, good start to Week 2!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Been super busy at work and I"m going crazy.  Looking forward to my first HM this year (Disney!) and I cannot wait to get out of the office for one day, LOL.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Snickers1230

Good luck this weekend!

Hi, guys.  Been super busy at work and I"m going crazy.  Looking forward to my first HM this year (Disney!) and I cannot wait to get out of the office for one day, LOL.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Got in a short easy run on my lunch break today.  I'm planning on a MLR (5-7 miles) tomorrow.  I usually run with a friend after work on Thursdays, but she wants us to get pedicures instead (and I totally need one!)  So I might have to suck it up and wake up early to run.  Lol

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Good luck DR!

That's an encouraging personal story, Mitch. The group has actually been in existence about 3-4 years, I think it was started and initially moderated by a guy named Larry, who sustained an injury which I think ended his running. Certainly has come alive with all the new blood, though.

I used to belong to a half marathon group over on Cool  Running about 5 years ago, a very active group but the board had problems after it became part of the Active group.

I am going away for 10 days starting next week, so will be running but not posting.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5@10:00 through ice, wind, and horseshit.  LR coming up while its warm this week.  I'll save repeats for the track.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!  It's going to be an easy HM because I'm doing the Goofy so I need some energy for the marathon on Sunday.

I managed to run my 4 recovery miles tonight.  Super busy this week, ugh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

D- Hope you enjoy Disney!

Jackie- My last pedi totally cured a sore spot I'd gotten from my shoes.  Hope you enjoy it!

Simon- Enjoy the trip!

Jerry- You are tougher than I am!  I don't do well with cold, and haven't had to dodge much horseshit.

me- Had a great interval workout tonight!  I decided to run on the TM because it was dark by the time I got home and I didn't want to wipe out.  The plan was for a 2 mile warm up, 5x2:30 @8:14 with 2:00 recoveries @10:20, and a cooldown to total 5 miles.  Maybe I was running them too slowly, though, or maybe the TM was wrong (though my easy run TM pace does match my outside Garmin pace), but I honestly really enjoyed the intervals.  They were so short that I really had only just started to think about maybe being a bit uncomfortable when it was time to slow down again.  So I ran the 5th one at 7:54 and it was tougher but still fun.  Still, since I'm new to everything but easy runs, I figured it would be better to go out conservatively and have a successful workout than do the first few too fast and blow up.

Next time this workout comes up, I'm supposed to run it on a "moderately steep hill".  THAT might take some of the fun out of it!

5.2 MLR in the park last night.

Snickers1230

Nice job on the interval run Zelanie!  Your recovery paces are about what my interval paces are...  Lol!

I decided on an off day today and will run tomorrow instead.  I have a 5K Saturday, but I'm running it to run with a friend and encourage her (she does better when I'm there to "help" her)

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You inspired me Melanie.  I had some time to kill at the health club after using the strength machines. so I hopped on the TM and did 5 repeats (3min @ 9:00 + 2 min walk).  Guess that would be a third of a mile.  No problems, so I should be able to step it up on future runs.  This was after I ran with DW, 5.7m @ 9:30 on a new route through the neighborhood.  Ready for a LR while we have this warm spell.  Feelin Good and great start to the weekend.

Happy Hour  !!!!