Half Marathon Trainers

Goal thread. (Read 610 times)

I have started a 1:40  for the half goal thread over in the racing forum- it may be of interest to you, and I hope it will attract some new members to help keep this group going.

Thanks!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's a great goal!  I guess I should think about setting a new one for my October HM, but I have so far to go I can't think about it yet.  Today, though, I ran 4.6 miles at 10:36 pace, which was 44 sec/mile faster than my average pace for May!  How bizarre.  And it felt SO GOOD!  This was the 19th day of my streak.

Great, Teresa!

Mr.PH has already posted, and I hope Larry and others from here will also.

Glad your speed is improving, I think you may be breaking through a barrier because usually we slow down as the hotter summer weather comes along.

I usually find if I run fast twice that after that I will do my slower runs at a better pace because it seems slower. One of the mental aspects of running I suppose.

Hi Simon, I saw your post in the racing forum earlier today and almost responded, but got busy and didn't get back to it. 

My HM is Sunday.  Currently my goal for this one is 142:30, and a 1:42 is reachable if all is well.  I'm running well right now and feeling good, but I'm questioning this two week taper without any long runs.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I calculated my pace at 7;50 per mile and then calculated each accumulated mile and typed it on a sheet and laminated so I can carry it in my pocket.  I know I should be able to keep the pace up for 8-9 miles, but not sure about the last three or four miles, that's when I seem to start breaking down. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hope you have a great race,Larry!

Factors like weather or traffic near the start in a big race can make a difference of a minute or more to your time, I hope all the details are in your favour on this one.

Simon.

Well Simon, the odds weren't in my favor for the start of the race.  I'll post a complete race report, but the bottom line on the start, is that they added a 5K race this year. The start takes place on a two lane road separated by a medium.  So they gave the 5Kers one lane and crammed 750+ plus HM runners into the other.  The start was horrible and I finshed at 1:43:00, 30 seconds off of my goal. 

They should have done with the 5K what they do with the 10K, which is to start at  a differnet time.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I wish I had not said anything about "traffic near the start", I may have jinxed you!

You Are Beautiful.

I have been lurking in this thread. I'm Cassie. I just completed c25k and am looking forward to a HM in October (Portland), if all goes well. If I can get there, I don't care what my time is. I'll take anything. So I'm running 3 miles without too much trouble now. And my "pace" (don't laugh!) is about 11Tight lippedx, I'm hoping with more practice and endurance, the time will slowly eke down. If I could get to a 10:30 pace, that would be great. I envy you, Theresa!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                  Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Welcome! Glad you joined us, I am sure your progress will amaze you over the first several months.

October seems a popular month for races, nice cool weather.

Simon.

IMKY13 finish!!

October seems a popular month for races, nice cool weather.

Not always....Chicago 2007

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Ringmaster

Hi, Cassie. Good for you for tackling a half--it's a great distance. Where's your race?

Larry, sorry about your 30-second delay; things like that can really bug you, especially when you feel like external factors slowed you down. I'm aiming to redeem my 4:30 marathon; I feel like under better weather conditions I could have done better.

I'm actually reversing my training schedule this year, so I'll do my marathon in the fall and then not race a half til the spring--early February, I think. My pr is 1:50 so the goal is to get close to 1:45 this time. I'm trying to keep the races far enough apart that I can get my legs back under me after the marathon and do a little speed training before the half--I think my schedule right now gives me about eight weeks between races.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

You Are Beautiful.

My HM will be Portland, Oct 4th, I think. Hopefully I'll be living there. Crossing my fingers. My lease is up in September and I'm trying to make a seamless move.

My Storygraph

Hiya, I'm still around. My goal is still 2:15:00 for the Bar Harbor HM in September - on pace with a 1:00:51 10K this weekend (Oy, I did want the 59 minutes)

Hey Cassie, Portland Maine or Portland Oregon? I did the Maine one last year...

A

Recalculating...

You Are Beautiful.

Portland Oregon. Smile

I want to move there so bad! I live in Washington State now.

My Storygraph

50 halfs by age 50

My name is Melissa and I am an addict .

I have completed 8 half marathons in the past 4 years and am registered for #9 and #10. I am painfully slow, but I get there. My goal is a half marathon in all 50 states and some in Canada for good measure (got my eye on Nova Scotia). Time goal currently is to break 2:45, but ultimately, I'd like to be below 2:30.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine