Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Oct 12 & 13 (Read 15 times)

an amazing likeness

In many ways, I envy runners lining up for their first half marathon. What they experience for the first time is what keeps bringing many of us back...this wonderful energy at the start...the combined buzz of the pulsing crowd as excited, motivated and energy- filled runners face the start line in dawn's low light...all while trying their best to seem nonplussed about the challenge of running all out for 13 miles.

Coursing through all the runners in the start chute are similar thoughts....will I finish? will I meet my goal? will it hurt? Why are my shoes so dang tight!? Am I in the right spot...is here ok?  Good grief, when are they going to start this thing!?

With that in mind our calendar this week spans far and wide.  Hog4life is coming back from nagging injuries for his 15K with that marathon goal still on the horizon for later this year...so 8miles is a good test of healing. BostonRnR and daisymae25 are half marathon veterans adding to their resume, both in cool fall temps coming off previous halfs in the heat of summer.

And we all send our best good luck to buckindb who brings a good looking training effort into his fist half marathon.

Oct 12 hog4life Fleet Feed Monte Sano 15K Huntsville, AL
    Oct 13 BostonRnR BAA Half 13.1 mi Boston, MA
    Oct 13 daisymae25 Towpath Half 13.1 mi Boston, OH
    Oct 13 buckindb Iron Horse Half 13.1 mi Midway, KY

You’ve done all the work and now it’s time to enjoy that race day energy, spirit and pride of accomplishment.  Run strong!

(*want to be certain to give credit to Mike St. Laurent for the idea of this week's opening paragraph...the idea is from his newsletter*)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Have great races everyone. I hope the weather holds out for you.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Good luck to everyone!

I am running in a 10K race this weekend, but trying to target HM pace instead of 10k pace. I've never tried to use a race as training before, I guess I'll see how it goes. My thought is that 6.2 at goal HMP would suck if I was on my own, but might feel pretty good in the context of a race.

an amazing likeness

I am running in a 10K race this weekend, but trying to target HM pace instead of 10k pace. I've never tried to use a race as training before, I guess I'll see how it goes. My thought is that 6.2 at goal HMP would suck if I was on my own, but might feel pretty good in the context of a race.

Z - My thought is you should be able to run 5-8 (ish) miles at HMP w/out needed a race to pull you.  Just browsed through your log for a bit, and if you're open to suggestions for this 10K....to get a good HM training run, looks to me like you should aim to start at 8:45 and then see if you can push to 8:40 and hold that steady to the end.

Great idea on using the 10K to test your pace!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Woohoo! Wow everyone have great times

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

ashleyww

Good luck everyone!  I hope your training an preparation pays off!

buckindb

Thanks everybody!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get nervous already!

My brother and I are running together.  He posted a photo earlier on FB of my niece and nephew holding our bibs outside of packet pickup.  That's when the butterflies started!

I'll definitely post a race report afterwards.  Thanks everyone for your help throughout my training.  It's gotten me to my first goal: make it to the starting line.  Now it's up to me to make it the rest of the 13.1 miles!

hog4life

Just a quick check in, I'll get a RR and details up tomorrow. I exceeded my expectations by a long shot, I was hoping for a 1:27, but really wanted 1:22......time was 1:20:27 for 8:38 pace! And that was after a 12 hour night shift.

Nice job!  Can't wait to read the report.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

The race report is in the sticky thread. Not much to read, but it's something.

Zelanie

Z - My thought is you should be able to run 5-8 (ish) miles at HMP w/out needed a race to pull you.  Just browsed through your log for a bit, and if you're open to suggestions for this 10K....to get a good HM training run, looks to me like you should aim to start at 8:45 and then see if you can push to 8:40 and hold that steady to the end.

Great idea on using the 10K to test your pace!

Well I started a bit slower, but ended up a lot faster. Smile

buckindb

I had a blast at the Iron Horse HM!  Finished in 2:21:38 running 10:47 min/mi.!  My goal was to simply finish my first HM, but in my mind I was expecting to finish 2:30:00-2:35:00, so needless to say I'm very pleased with my finish!

I'll post a proper race report soon, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there!

hog4life

I had a blast at the Iron Horse HM!  Finished in 2:21:38 running 10:47 min/mi.!  My goal was to simply finish my first HM, but in my mind I was expecting to finish 2:30:00-2:35:00, so needless to say I'm very pleased with my finish!

I'll post a proper race report soon, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there!

Congrats on exceeding your goal, that's always a good feeling.

Zelanie

Congrats, buckin!  What a great feeling to have exceeded your goal!

Rondog65

Congrats to all who raced this past weekend.

Zel - Great job on your training 10K.

Buckindb - It is an awesome accomplishment finishing your first Half Marathon, savor the accomplishment!!

Hog4Life - That is one fast race, great job on crushing your expectations.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)