Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathoners August 2008 (Read 585 times)

Rainy training runs (again!) for me. My son is now working for a running store, leading a 10k clinic. Some of his runners are just trying to finish, others have goal times in the low 40 minute range, so a varied group of 20 people +/- a couple. Because of the range of speed they may need to form two groups, tough to get them all to run together! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

a quick summary of the week - most mileage ever 33 today: 12 miles 2:40:05 (13:21 average pace) 140 average HR 64º dewpoint 61º just a note - I am super slow and I'm generally sticking with a low heart rate training plan - so I try to stay under 143 HR mile 1 HR 131 miles 2-5 HR 136 kinda slow - there a a couple of hills in this part miles 6-11 HR 142 I had some "feeling groovy" miles in here around 13:00 and one at 12:46 - then the body kind of gave up around 9.5 and the HR started rising and pace went more towards 14:00 mile 12 HR 154 (11:48) still felt pretty good and wanted to see what pace HR 156 would give me fri: stretch class thurs: indoor track 4 miles 51:20 (12:53 m/m) wed: indoor track + jog to and fro gym 8.5 miles I planned 2x 2 mile intervals at my (hopeful) HM race pace 10:30m/m - in reality I got too competitive with aerobics bunnies who were lapping me on the track - with weights on their legs! so it turned out to be more like 10:00 m/m so I'm feeling pretty tired, but no injuries - my mid week heel pain seems to have disappeared, next week is a cut back week, I'm hoping that the effects of this week and last (32 mi) show up. Happy running! A (also posted in LHR training group)

Recalculating...

Wow! Great LR Ayola! How do you manage to maintain such a pace and not have your legs cramp up? If someone can enlighten me to this I would be most appreciative. My shorter runs are turning to total crap lately. I am so crampy in my lower legs/calves that by the time the run is overwith, I am finally loose! Angry Looking forward to my 11 miler tomorrow just cause I won't feel as crampy... Any advice appreciated! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Yeah! Nice weather for a long run this morning did 10 miles in 1:40:50 (10:05 pace) 55F & beautiful sunny morning with a gentle breeze. 1st 10 miler in 5 weeks, which highly unusual for me. I've been running easy through a hamstring strain it's at about 80% now only hurts if I try to push the pace. NE Ohio has had really nice weather this summer. A few passing storms but no rainy days, a little too warm for runners but I can deal with that. Cool Fantastic for swimming and the golf courses aren't busy in the late afternoon because it's too hot 4'm. Roll eyes Seems like there's been lots of rain up north especially Maine. Nice mileage you're getting in Ayola keep up the good work in a few weeks you'll be ready to pick up pace. Trust me you can do it. Cheffy good luck with the 11 miles tomorrow, I'll look at your log & see if I have any suggestions. Well Cheffy it looks like you have enough rest. Is the sore & tight calves something new? Could be you land on your forefoot too much ( on or near your toes) or not getting enough potassium. Try icing & stretching the calves & soleus. Since it does loosen as you run it pretty safe to say it's not serious so you can fix it. Another thing I noticed is that your short runs & long runs are at too close to the same pace. You need to slow the long runs or speed up one short one per week.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I'll up the potassium..... and I would be that it's easier to slow the long run down than to pound myself to oblivion on the shorter runs. What I also find helps is to throw a few striders in at the end of the long run just to un-cramp.... Yes, they do loosen up as I run it out.... but DANG it sucks those first couple miles..... What about: lengthening one of my runs mid week? say 11 Tomorrow, rest Monday, Easy 3 Tuesday, 6 on Wednesday, 3 Thursday, Rest Friday, and 3 Saturday? That would ramp me to 26 for the week.... okay? Thanks Sarge, As always I appreciate the coaching advice! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Cheffy I'm a big believer in longer mid week runs but I think you should wait until you get rid of this calf soreness. Slow down tomorrow then try icing & stretching after & then see how you feel Tues. if all is good do 6 Wed. Get the mid week run up to 8 miles about 30 seconds slower than the pace you want your half marathon to be. Always try to finish every run faster the last 1/2 mile than your average pace, this helps prepare you physically & psychologically for racing. Striders could be a good way to do that. Cool Good Luck Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I ran 7.1 miles this morning in 1:24:26 and it felt great! I'm definitely almost a minute per mile slower than before my injury, but that's OK! My ankle never twinged, during or after the run. I'm going to try a 3-mile run tomorrow for my first two-day-in-a-row attempt in over two months. I need to be able to do that to start building my mileage again!
                Ringmaster

Hi, everyone! I read about your pain-free running and am soooo thrilled for you, Teresa! You too, Ayola. Goodness, I wish I had your strength of training. My training looks very skimpy by comparison. Definitely gotta do more cross-training. Not happy to hear about your cramping, though, Cheffy. This is probably a dumb question, but you are hydrating lots all the time and especially the day before the long run, right? Sarge, MrPh and Larry have much better advice than I do but it's all I could think of. Smile Decided to not run a long one this week b/c . . . well, frankly, because I was lazy, I guess. The course I usually run was overrun by a sprint tri and I had a friend in it so I slept in a little (sorely needed!), ran almost-six with some goal-HM pace miles thrown in and then went to cheer my friend. Been fearing overtraining lately anyway and it's good to show running who's the boss once in a while. Back on schedule next week.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

Hi everybody, I'm back form a wonderful vacation. Ran almost everyday, but did no speed work in fact tried to keep my pacw down even more. Did some strength running on stairs and a ramp and I'm really happy to say my leg feels really great. Don't know how my speed is, but will find out in my 5M race tomorrow, it was my target race for my 5M PR, even though I actually already PR'd earlier this year. Weather report is really good for a 10Am race, 79-80 degrees and slightly cloudy. However this is New England and either our weather men suck or the weather changes so drastically that they haven't got a clue. Will catch up later. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Two sunny days in a row! Cheffy, I do find when I slow my pace down (to keep my heart rate down) I can get really sore calves and some weird tightness in the hips. The calves feel more like bricks for 2-3 miles (at least they are starting to look like bricks) What I try to do is foam roll my calves and hamstrings every time I go to the YMCA - have to get one for home. I do "foot circles" laying on my back to loosen up my ankles. I also go to a yoga based stretch class once a week. I think that doing a tempo/ faster run once a week helps too. Teresa, I'm glad you're healing. I think we have exactly the same pace. Good luck Larry! A

Recalculating...

My 5M race report. Well to begin with, the weather men were wrong. Temp was in the 80s and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, clear as could be and the sun was bright and hot. Looking back, I had set a goal of 37:30 (7:30 Pace) for this race in the spring. Due yo my injury and loosing 4 weeks of training, I wasn't sure if I could do it. I went out in excellent pace really telling myself to keep it down. I ran a 7:27 M1 and felt fantastic. At M2, it said I did a 630 M2 and I said no fing way, they must have the marker set-up worng, both guys running in proximity said the same thing, Sure enough, up the road 57 seconds later, we found the correct 2M marker. My time was again 7:27. Still feeling great and climbing hills with ease, I stayed at the same pace and finished M3 at 7:27 as well. Although these are all rounded times, you can't get more consistent than that. Still feeling great, I picked up the pace a little bit and ran a 7:20 M4. Once I finished M4, I knew of two small hills left, picked up the pace even more and finished with a 6:57, kicking strong to the finish line. My official time 36:39 almost a minute faster than the time I had set in the spring. I probably could have run even faster than that, but was holding back (as I always go out too strong) I don't have the final results, but the preliminary had me at 55th place, but I'm not sure of the number of runners, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300. I'll get the officical and age group placement from the website. Overall, I'm really pleased with my run and my effort, but even more so at my discipline to setting and sticking to a pace. So, I have a new PR in the 5M. Nest Sunday I've got the 5K race which was my first ever race and is the target race for my new 5K PR. Need to do some speed work this week, my goal is to run it in a 6:59 pace. I've now run four races this year where I completed the last mile in under 7:00 mins, so now I have to see if I can put 3.1 of them together. Larry

LPH

Hi, everyone. We maybe should do a sticky with everyone's race dates. I'm trying to keep this straight. Cheffy is on September 20. Teresa's is September 21. Simon, is yours on the weekend of October 18? Looks like mine is the latest--November 16.
                          My HM is Sept 27th.

LPH

Ayola, Welcome to our group. Simon, if you read my race report, you'll see that I slowed my training runs down this past week. I have to admit, it seemed to work., or maybe I was just ready for this. Certainly training in the heat all week helped. Cheffy, Tereasa, VixiDu, Sarge and MrPhin, good to hear from you all. Sounds like the walking wounded are getting better and logging some miles, but a few of you still have nagging injuries, that need close attention. Larry

LPH

Ringmaster

Larry=Mr. Speed. WOW! Big grin

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Great race, Larry, really happy for you! That's a time you must be really proud of. Maybe slowing down the last week helped your taper, i always find I feel bursting with energy before a race if I have tapered well. Must have been a pretty strong field; with a time like that I would have expected you would finish in the top 10%. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.