Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathoners August 2008 (Read 585 times)

Thanks VixDu and Simon. Finally got the official results from the net today. My offical time was 36:38. My placement was 55th out of 262 and 11th out of 40 in my age group. Yes, there are some really excellent runners up here in CT. That's why I don't expect to place in my races, but for me, it's the pure satisfaction of the run and continued improvement in it. There was a 68 year old guy who finished 19th with a 32:04/6:25, Unbelieveable! Oh, by the way, My wife said I had a big smile on my face as I raced down the final stretch and into the chute. Makes it all worthwhile.
    Great race, Larry, really happy for you! That's a time you must be really proud of. Maybe slowing down the last week helped your taper, i always find I feel bursting with energy before a race if I have tapered well. Must have been a pretty strong field; with a time like that I would have expected you would finish in the top 10%. Simon.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Larry! I missed this thread, somehow. Company is keeping me too busy, I guess. It's amazing you did so well so soon after your injury! Keep up the good work. PS - DS16 ran 60 miles last week, as his XC coach had outlined for the juniors and seniors to do. He was pretty pooped out yesterday! He's started driving school, also, so he has a lot on his plate.
        No problem Teresa, I was only bragging anyway. I guess congratulations to your son for completing 60 miles last week, but despite what so many others say, I think it's too many miles for a young man to be running. My son was just reminding me last week, about when he was a freshman, there was a kid from another school who was just blowing everyone off the track. This kid was just an outstanding runner. Then one meet, he was going around the turn and all of a sudden let out a blood curdling scream and feel to the track. Ended up he had a spiral fracture in his leg and was done for the season. My other concern as you just expressed is that he has other things on his plate as well and needs to have a life. I know what I say won't make any difference, as he has to and is going to follow his coaches directions any way and many coaches do it. I do however remember my sons orthopedic saying that as teenagers, their growth paletes are still growing (as he showed us X-rays showing a gap in the joints) and that he advised against his Tri athlete training and marathan training until he was into his 20s.
        Great job, Larry! I missed this thread, somehow. Company is keeping me too busy, I guess. PS - DS16 ran 60 miles last week, as his XC coach had outlined for the juniors and seniors to do. He was pretty pooped out yesterday! He's started driving school, also, so he has a lot on his plate.

LPH

Vix, Not sure if I ever supplied you with the site for the stretching information. Anyway, here it is. There is a lot inthere and some of it was way too thecnical for m (I like thinks in simple terms) but the basics were easy to understand and then you can pick the stretching for the zones you need to work on most. http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_toc.html
          Hi, everyone. Yeah, I'm back to walking first and stretching very minimally about a mile into the run.

LPH

Ringmaster

Thanks for that link, Larry. I'm so concerned I'm not doing this right. I'm trying to make sure I stretch after the run in addition to my 1-mile light stretch, so I'm sure learning more about the right way to do it is going to be very helpful. I gotta say, I'm so thankful for you guys. Good coaching!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This may be repetitive for some of you since I'm posting it everywhere, but I had a wonderful annual physical exam today. My doctor said I'm in "great shape." Blood pressure OK, cholesterol OK (even though it went up, the good stuff went up more than the bad), oxygen saturation level 100% (the nurse said that's because I'm a runner!), weight 148.2 (three years ago, the doctor told me I needed to get down to 150 from 180+, and I finally did it!). He actually asked if I'm eating enough, lol. At least twice, he said, "Remarkable job!" which means a lot coming from him. He doesn't toss off compliments lightly. I'm so happy! I just e-mailed a friend the link to the C25K program - she's gotten very heavy after taking some serious meds for depression, etc., and this would help her so much. She expressed interest in it when I told her about it, so I hope she tries it. I warned her to go VERY slowly. Larry, thanks for your thoughts. You're right, I don't think there's anything I can do, but I will keep an eye out for him. I can see what Blaine thinks, also. He's a good influence on my son.

Prince of Fatness

I haven't been posting much the last few days. I went away for a few days and am just getting back into things. I've been running, though, and the weather has been perfect for it. It's been more like September here lately. I have a 4 mile race Saturday. I really haven't done much to prepare for it other than getting the miles in, so we'll see. Larry, nice job on the 5M. Teresa, glad to hear about the doctor visit. Isn't it great to see tangible results from all of your hard work? Cheffy, I think the others may be onto something regarding hydration and potassium. I think that might be a contributor to my hamstring soreness, even though I have tried to keep on top of it. I am on a mild blood pressure medication that contains a diuretic, which doesn't help my cause I'm sure. I do like the idea of throwing in some strides toward the end of the run.

Not at it at all. 

Congratulations on the great checkup, Teresa. I am sure your friend will find running helps with the depression, at least in a minor way, as it gives us a feeling of wellbeing and of having some control over at least one aspect of our lives. Vixi, it sounds as though you are doing more stretching than I do, though i try to do some at the end of my run if I go for more than an hour. I also have a habit of stretching my calf muscles when I am sitting watching tv, and i also make circles with my toes to loosen up my ankles. Not much of a stretching regime! I am sure you will run well on Saturday, Mr. PH, you have been doing lots of miles consistently for months. Are you planning to cut back this week to have fresher legs? Let us know how it goes! Ran down a street yesterday and saw a sign that said "Max 50" referring to the speed limit in kilometers per hour, of course, but it didn't say so. Being a rebel by nature I continued running (even though I am 57). I amused myself for the next few minutes wondering what might happen if someone stopped me for being too old; having no id with me when I run. Childish, but your mind wanders when you run without an ipod! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Everyone~ Wow, What A week. Wish I could say that was a Good thing. My dead legs continue. I had a rather enlightening day yesterday when Hubby and I stopped into the running store to pick up some more pairs of Thorlo socks. We had just come off of a 4 mile run, in which 2 of those 4 miles were quality for me. My legs have been absolute shit for about 2 weeks now. They throb when I sleep, and I awaken at night from it. It is spilling over into my training runs.... sleep like shit, run like shit.... you get the Idea. Anyway, While in the store, I ask the owner " Pretend you don't know me, and look at my feet".... Confused is the look I get.... I strip out of my shoes and socks, and he says " Bend your knees".... Okay. He looks at my shoes, looks at my feet, and looks at my shoes again, and then looks at me and says " Let's try something" and he gets a pair of NB 858 shoes out, slaps them on my feet, orders me onto the treadmill and says " Run" ...... he says nothing, I run, and run, and run, and Run more..... feet feel GOOD. matter of fact.... GREAT. Now mind you, I currently run in NB 768 which are a grade lower than these shoes, and they have made a huge difference in my running, but lately it seems like nothing has helped. The guy also notices and says " Wow, your calves are really developed".... I'm thinking, Boy don't I know! they ache so bad and are so tight when I run, no wonder! ..... long and short of the story is, while I am in the store, the following things are decided: New Stability Shoes Booked an Appointment with a sports massage therapist whom is a distance runner also Decided that 3 yoga classes per week at the gym are now a necessary component to my overall training.... Massage appointment is tomorrow afternoon.... as tight and sore as I am, ( I am a very stressy type person by nature) I am sure this is going to HURT. She promises to not make me yelp, but assures me it will be memorable.... Undecided Yoga starts Sunday Afternoon..... after my long run early that morning.... Pray for me Friends! Cheffy Dead Legs Black eye PS: I travel for work all next week, and I will not run again till Saturday when I return.... I think this is just what I need....a good cut-back week to help my legs refresh.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Pray for me Friends! PS: I travel for work all next week, and I will not run again till Saturday when I return.... I think this is just what I need....a good cut-back week to help my legs refresh.
                      I'm not the praying type, but I certainly can wish you the best of luck. PS: Some walking next week would be better than doing nothing, me thinks. Just enough to stay loose.

Not at it at all. 

Cheffy progress is not linear-it comes in fits and starts. Sometimes there is a setback because our legs/bodies are changing and something that worked before no longer works. we have to figure out what has changed and how to deal with it before the obstacle is overcome and progress continues. Simon

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Cheffy progress is not linear-it comes in fits and starts. Sometimes there is a setback because our legs/bodies are changing and something that worked before no longer works. we have to figure out what has changed and how to deal with it before the obstacle is overcome and progress continues. Simon
                          Thanks So Much Simon and MrPH..... I am sure this is yet another chapter in the making of me as a runner.... Tough to tell a sedentary 40 year old body last year to get off it's booty and get moving and expect there to be no complications. As frustrating as these last few weeks have been, I am alot tougher than a setback or two... I really don't consider this to be much of a setback, as I do a valuable learning experience. Between the Massage Therapist ( whom works regularly with marathoners as well as the owner of the running store) and the Folks at my running store, they feel like my mammoth calves are causing some muscle imbalance to my quads/hammies that are trying to catch up... Because I run a fair amount of hills in my long training run, ( no other choice) it has really built me up quickly, a little too quickly so it seems. Since In theory My Long run on Sunday is the start of " Next Week" I will do one small run mid week of maybe 3-4 miles, giving me a total somewhere around 15 miles or so. I know that I am not going to obscess about it, just going to concentrate on Work next week. I will be on my feet long hours next week everyday, so I am not too worried about staying " loose".... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Heh. I sit on my ass in a cube all day when working. I need to remember not everyone has a desk job. Wink

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, are you sure we're not the same person?? You are going through the same stuff that I have. I could barely put on my ski boots this winter because my calves have gotten so much bigger. I got a sports massage in May - it was wonderful! The guy, a runner who also works with people like you mentioned, said I was VERY tight. So be careful! I'm in the same boat - telling my 46-year-old body that it IS going to run, so just shut up about it! I should be at 22 miles or so this week, for the first time since the end of May. I'm hoping my 8-mile run tomorrow goes OK. Hang in there - we're going to make it! A few obstacles along the way aren't enough to stop us.
                              Ringmaster

So many wise people on this board! You're right--progress does come in fits and starts! At times it seems I'm not accomplishing anything; I feel sluggish and s-l-o-w. It takes real persistence to get up and stick with the plan. But cutback weeks and rest are part of the plan, too. Cheffy, I'm glad you stopped in that store. Sometimes an objective eye is what it takes. A massage is sure to help--even if it smarts at first! I'll be thinking of you. I hope next week helps to settle your muscles down some. I'm sure I could use better cross training myself. Our nearest Fleet Feet had "Diva Night" last week and they had a wonderful yoga and pilates instructor. I so wish I could go do a class there, but it's an hour away so it's out of the question. I know I could really strengthen my core, improve my posture and my running form. Like your masseuse, she works with runners, so she would have been perfect, but I'll just have to find someone local. Simon, I think your "Max 50" sign is great! I don't run with music either, and my mind tends to wander quite a bit. I'm not quite as funny as you are, sadly . . . Teresa, congrats on the wonderful check up. Isn't it wonderful to see rewards other than the miles racking up? Not only do ya look great on the outside, it turns out your body looks great on the inside too! Way to go!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile