Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid racer! (Read 14 times)

redleaf

July 13, 2014 Zelanie Correcaminos Media Maratón 13.1 miles San Jose, Costa Rica TBD    

Woohoo go get 'em Z! (which, I feel like I should tell you, I pronounce "Zed")

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Good luck Zel..Have fun!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Fleet feet, Z! You can rock this one!

July 13, 2014 Zelanie Correcaminos Media Maratón 13.1 miles San Jose, Costa Rica TBD    

Woohoo go get 'em Z! (which, I feel like I should tell you, I pronounce "Zed")

Of course you do! Me too. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

I would answer to Zed. Smile

Going into this one without a taper since I don't want to derail my full marathon plans for a HM.  But I'm feeling fantastic and training has been going really well.

I went to the expo today and it is a much bigger HM than I have seen before- with prize money, starting corrals, and pacers.  I talked to the 1:55 pacer there.  He is planning to bank time (yikes, I know), but that's because the course (point to point) is apparently slightly downhill for the first 10K, and then small rolling hills the rest of the way.  So he is planning to have 1 minute banked at the 10K point.  To me, that sounds reasonable and not too crazy.  I can always start with the group and let them go if he takes off like a madman, plus it would be nice to have the company.  1:55 really shouldn't be a stretch for me, so I think that's a safe bet.

Now I just have to figure out if I can get a cab to get me to the starting line by about 5AM (race starts at 6), and how much that will cost.  Hopefully they take credit cards because I don't want to carry cash on me (especially not change) for the whole race!   I'll go down to the taxi stand tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's what.

hog4life

Have fun!

Have a great time!

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

Go get 'em Z!  One thing you can do with the pacer is let your mind go blank and just run -- let him worry about the race strategy. It works...you don't have to look at your watch, worry about splits...it can be freeing in a certain way. Remember that you can keep it "elastic" between you and pacer -- let him go a bit, then reel him back in as your effort dictates.

(And major kudos to you for talking to him about his plans.)

I think you're logging the first Central America race in our calendar's history. At least I can't recall a previous one.

I'll be running a half tomorrow, wonder whose race temp will be higher ? (g)

Milktruck, Old Port Half, Portland, ME, goal is whatever happens

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

Go get em, Milktruck!  You might have the higher starting temps because it's been cool here (actually considered "winter" even though we're still in the northern hemisphere) and the race starts at 6 AM.

Good luck tomorrow MT.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Hey guys, I am done!  Garmin has 1:58, my chip time is mysteriously a minute slower than that, and I am happy with the result.

The course is a net downhill, but has some really tough parts, and with a 70 degree (and 63 degree dewpoint) at the start, it was a challenge.  The third 5K section is particularly difficult, and it was actually a good experience for me because I pushed through some demons and feel like I came out stronger on the other side.  I came back to finish strong, again with a tough last little bit of the race.  I ran it with no taper, and had to make an off-course pit stop, so overall, I think I ran it well.

More to come later. Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Still sounds like under 2h however it is measured! Well done! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Awesome job Zel.  Way to rock it and come out strong on the other side in under 2 hours, awesome!

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

Way to bring it home sub-2 Zelanie !  Sounds like a tough course layout and a result you should be proud of.  Nice.

My Old Port Half was screwed up -- we were misdirected on the course and ended up shorting 0.4mi between miles 4 and 5.  Because the course was changed this year (ironically to fix that it was 0.3 long last year), no one realized we were off the proper route. The lead cyclist took the leaders the wrong way, and the field behind just followed until a corner worker realized something was wrong and sent the remainder of the pack back on course.

So, the first 400 runners ran 0.4mi short, and the rest of the field ran the full 13.1. I was shocked when I hit the finish at 12.8 miles on my GPS and a 1:42:48 on the clock.  'Ummm....that's not right', I thought -- because of the heat, I'd been running about 7:50 - 8:05 splits, so a 1:45 or 1:46 finish time was going to be the day's result.

So I'll log this one as a long run, not a half marathon race. A long, tempo run, in a crowd, with a bib on, which cost $65. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

That's too bad. 65$ for next to nothing.

Way to bring it home sub-2 Zelanie !  Sounds like a tough course layout and a result you should be proud of.  Nice.

My Old Port Half was screwed up -- we were misdirected on the course and ended up shorting 0.4mi between miles 4 and 5.  Because the course was changed this year (ironically to fix that it was 0.3 long last year), no one realized we were off the proper route. The lead cyclist took the leaders the wrong way, and the field behind just followed until a corner worker realized something was wrong and sent the remainder of the pack back on course.

So, the first 400 runners ran 0.4mi short, and the rest of the field ran the full 13.1. I was shocked when I hit the finish at 12.8 miles on my GPS and a 1:42:48 on the clock.  'Ummm....that's not right', I thought -- because of the heat, I'd been running about 7:50 - 8:05 splits, so a 1:45 or 1:46 finish time was going to be the day's result.

So I'll log this one as a long run, not a half marathon race. A long, tempo run, in a crowd, with a bib on, which cost $65. 

Wow that sucks to be short...sounds like you would have made your mark.

HF # 1189