Half Marathon Trainers

Does this sound reasonable? (Read 254 times)

I will be running my first half in September. I've always just run for fitness, but I really want to do this half. Anyway, I've looked at several training plans, but they are all on a shorter time frame than what I am working with. I normally run about 3 miles, 4 days per week. I thought I would either: keep that the same and add one more day for a long run, or make one of those 4 days my long run. Which would be better? Is there anything else I should be focusing on? I'm really not too worried about my time for this first one. I just want to run it and finish. I am planning to run a 5k or two along the way, so the half won't be my first race. Also, I haven't run outside all winter--just been on the treadmills. As I start making one day a long run, should I do that one outside? Thanks!
    Hannibal Granite

I've looked at several training plans, but they are all on a shorter time frame than what I am working with. I normally run about 3 miles, 4 days per week. I thought I would either: keep that the same and add one more day for a long run, or make one of those 4 days my long run. Which would be better? 1. Honestly, either approach would work for your goal of finishing a 1/2 marathon. It really depends on how much time effort you can and want to give. If you enjoy running, don't have any lingering injuries and want to do it 5 days a week instead of 4 that would probably yield better results. Also, once you've gotten your long run up to ~10 miles or so (the very minimum long run for completing a 1/2 marathon IMO) you might want to increase one of your mid-week runs to about 5-6 miles. This medium long run re-enforces the benifits of the long run without taking as much out you. Is there anything else I should be focusing on? I'm really not too worried about my time for this first one. I just want to run it and finish. I am planning to run a 5k or two along the way, so the half won't be my first race. 2. Since you aren't worried about time you don't need to worry about speedwork, intervals, tempo runs etc. You'll get faster just from increasing mileage anyway. I would suggest running a 10K as well as a few 5K's though, just to give you a better idea of running in a longer race. Also, I haven't run outside all winter--just been on the treadmills. As I start making one day a long run, should I do that one outside? 3. Treadmill running is not the same as outside running over the ground. It is like the difference between humans and chimps we share 98% of our DNA, but it is that last 2% that makes all the difference. Since you are used to running on the treadmill you'll probably find running outside uncomfortable of even painful at first (sort of how I feel when I run on a treadmill) so transition carefully, do every other run outside for the next month or so then make the treadmill a once in a while thing (like when there is snow/ice etc.) Even if you have to run most your distance on the treadmill for some reason you do need to do at least some running over ground if for no other reason than to know what it is like come race time. If that is the case I would do the easy/shorter runs outside and not the long runs for the pain/discomfort reasons I mentioned earlier.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I think that's all sensible advice, and you have lots of time to train as September is a long way off. Build up gradually, try to be consistent. Possibly worth following a specific training programme when you get closer to the date of the race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks so much!
          Ringmaster

Hey, Mom, your post looks a lot like how I felt when I started the crazy notion of maybe training for a half marathon. I also took longer than most training plans to get to my race. I agree with the advice Hannibal already gave you. What happened to me was that as the weeks wore on, I ended up increasing my daily mileage just because I naturally got faster, so though initially I only got 4 miles in in an hour, eventually I got 5 in, then 6. So you might find that some of your daily runs increase in distance that way. I generally added a fifth day for my long run, because I liked do it on the road and, being a mom, Saturdays were the only day that was possible for me. 8-milers are just not happening on the treadmill for me! Besides, I agree that for training purposes, there's nothing like the open road--training with wind, sun, etc. The nice thing about having more time on your training schedule is that you can take on Saturday to do a ten-mile long run, then do an easy six-miler (still on the road, not the treadmill) the following week, taking a week off from the long distance. Then the following week you can increase your distance to twelve miles. That slow increase was good for my knees, anyway, and I was thankful for the slow mileage increase. Oh, and I agree that you should try to run a 10k before your half. I couldn't believe the jump between a 5k and a 10k, and I can't imagine going from a 5k to a half. It's good practice to know how to hit the water stations, etc, something that doesn't come into play as much during a 5. Hey, I'm a rookie--I literally just ran my first half this weekend--but your post was very similar to my situation so I thought I'd jump in. Hope some of this helps.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mom, I'm running my first HM in September, also, in York, Maine. I'm finding that 5 days a week is MUCH better for me. Right now, I'm doing two runs that are just over 3 miles, two runs that are just over 5, and then my long run, which was 7.1 miles last week. Since I have so much time, I'm going up half a mile every two weeks. Now I'm surprised at how "easy" the 5-mile run is! I did 5.2 yesterday and 5.2 today, a first for me. I had to fit them in early in the week, because our family is going skiing in Vermont Wednesday through Saturday, and I'm thinking it will be hard to get more than 3 miles in at a time. Keep us posted! It sounds as if you and I are at about the same level, so we should encourage each other! Teresa
                Vixi & Teresa, thank you so much for your input! It's great to hear from people who have just done what I want to do and ones who are currently doing it along with me. Lots of good advice here!