Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - June 2009 (Read 746 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, everyone!  How's it going?  I ran 26.9 miles last week, so that's the third week in a row of at least 25 miles.  I think my record is three weeks in a row, so maybe I'll break it this week!  Off to do 2 with DD11 now.

Yesterday we were in Bar Harbor for the Class B state track meet.  We stayed overnight Friday in a little hotel. I got up at 5:40 am and ran on the carriage roads in Acadia National Park.  WOW!  I told DH I'm moving to Bar Harbor.  These were roads originally built by John Rockefeller in the early 1900s, so he could take his friends on carriage rides through the mountains.  There are meadows, waterfalls, streams, ponds, lakes, and gorgeous views of the moutains, ocean and Sommes Sound, a fjord.  The paths are all small, gray gravel - perfect running surface.  Some trails are fairly flat, while others are very challenging.  I ran 4.6 miles, around Witch Hole Pond.  I saw only three people - two guys putting a canoe in the pond, and a walker.  I was grinning the entire way!!  I highly recommend a vacation to Bar Harbor.  We hadn't been in a few years, but we've scheduled 6 days there in a couple of weeks.  DH said I could pick anyplace within a 10-hour drive, and I could think of no place nicer than BH, which is only three hours away.

DS's 4x800 team set the OFFICIAL Class B state record, in 8:03.  Their time last week was faster (7:58), but it didn't count since it wasn't at the state meet.  He came in second in the 3200, in 9:38, an outdoor 3200 PR for him.  He was going for time rather than the win.  I think if he had drafted off the other boy, he could have won, but his time would have been much slower.  We're very proud of him!  Next week we'll take him to Burlington, Vermont for the New England meet.  Almost a 5-hour drive.

My streak is at 27 days now, and I feel great.  I did some speedwork last Wednesday.  I was the slowest one there, but I'm used to that.  It was actually fun.  My quads are still a little sore, but it's the good kind.  Ankles and knees are holding up just fine.  We'll see if it makes me any faster!

Congratulations on both your streak of running and your sons success at the State meet.  Good Luch at the N.Es.

I tweaked my calf muscle (again) yesterday.  This is the same one that I tore last year.  I was off Fri and Sat and out to do an easy pace yesterday, running a 3.5 mile repeat course and had just finished the first loop when I felt it act up.  So I stopped immediately.  I did nothing unusual for my warm up and my pace was an easy 8:00.  it was late in the day and I had been out fishing and canoeing in the morning with my grandson, but nothing strenuous. 

I iced it immediately and wrapped it today.  I'll take a few days off to see how it is. 

The HM I was looking at for the end of June has dropped off the calendars and looks like it's been cancelled.  They moved the 5K and 10K up a week but said nothing about the HM.  I've written to them, but haven't heard back yet.

How's everyone else doing?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

IMKY13 finish!!

Doing pretty good here.  I don’t have another half marathon planned until the beginning of October.  Actually I’ve got two half marathons planned for October…one on October 3rd and the other October 18th.  They are both relatively flat, so my goal of breaking two hours should be obtainable in either of those.  The second one is basically the same course with which I my current HM PR was run…but I want to break two hours in the first one.

Right now I am just running about 28-32 miles a week to maintain my fitness.  Plus I’ve just started some speed training.  They are Tuesday nights for twelve weeks.  Last week included a one mile time trial (which the training sessions are built around) and I did it in 7:45 (now if I can just maintain that speed for distance).  Not only should these speed sessions help me break my two hour barrier…but also help me with my other goal this year…and that is to break 25 minutes in a 5K.  I’ve got a 5k planned towards the end of August, which is basically at the end of the 12 week speed session…so we shall see how the speed sessions do.

I’m also planning on doing my 3rd marathon in December (Rocket City).  I really need to redeem myself for that one.  My goal last year was 4:15 and thru 17 miles I was pretty much on track to do it…however, back at mile 13 something popped in my foot and I ended up walking the last six miles.  If I stay injury free, I should be able to obtain/break all my running goals for this year…but time will tell.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!!  Anyone have any vacations planned…..running vacations?

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Prince of Fatness

Well I ran 4 races between May 3 and June 3.  Now it's time to get into marathon training.  I am running a marathon September 13.  I've built up a decent base as I am already over 1000 miles for this year.  I am going to lay down 3 more 200+ mile months and see what happens.  I am hoping for a BQ; 3:30:59 or better.

Depending on how the marathon goes I may try to take advantage of all of this mileage I am running and try to lower my half marathon PR in October or November.

Not at it at all. 

Sorry to hear about your calf, Larry. (Easy 8:00 pace? Not for me it's not!)

Bar Harbor sounds nice, Teresa, one of those places like Cape Cod that I hope to visit one day.

Further congrats to your son!

Paul, your training seems pretty solid, it seems you are one of those runners who is better at the longer distances, but I am sure you can get under 25 minutes for the 5k with the new speed sessions.

I am working my mileage up again, plan to get into the 40-50 mile per week range over several weeks. My plan had me doing 10x100m strides the other night, which is something new for me. People certainly give you odd looks when you sprint by then stop and walk, then sprint again!

The "secret" training plan I am following is the lowest mileage version of  the Pfitzinger marathon plans which I am hoping will improve both my speed and endurance. I'll let you know how it goes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Lu481

Hi all,

I've been sitting on the sidelines the last couple of months because of an injury in my left leg/ankle...  I've been going to physio and just started back running today with an easy 2 mile run.... I didn't have any pain during the run, which is a good sign, although it is still sore when I rub it...  So I don't want to push too hard just yet...

I had to cancel the race I had planned in May, and I was planning another 1/2 on the 19th of July, but I don't think a month is long enough to train for it...  So, maybe August 16th will be my next race, and if not, then Sept 26th for sure...  We'll see how it goes...

Lu

You Are Beautiful.

I finished week one of Higdon HM training. I had my long run yesterday (4 miles). That was the longest and hardest I've run. I went on a new out-and-back route to a park (to get water) and on the way back is a big hill. At the turnaround, I got POURED on. It was ridiculous. I was in shorts and a tshirt and got totally drenched. I spent the last mile laughing because it was so absurd. But I made the 4 miles. So onto week 2!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

IMKY13 finish!!

I finished week one of Higdon HM training. I had my long run yesterday (4 miles). That was the longest and hardest I've run. I went on a new out-and-back route to a park (to get water) and on the way back is a big hill. At the turnaround, I got POURED on. It was ridiculous. I was in shorts and a tshirt and got totally drenched. I spent the last mile laughing because it was so absurd. But I made the 4 miles. So onto week 2!

Kewl!!!!  Keep on running and pretty soon you be at 13.1 miles...way to go!!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Prince of Fatness

(Easy 8:00 pace? Not for me it's not!)

Not for me either.  It's probably a minute per mile faster than my easy pace.  You may want to slow those easy runs down, Larry.

Not at it at all. 

Ten miles on Tuesday, 8 miles tonight, first 5 in 43 minutes, then a 5k in 23:11. Felt pretty well trashed at the end, but the good thing is that if I do ten or fifteen more of these over the next few months i should be certain to break 22 minutes for 5k!

Mileage will start building up next week...

Good runs everyone!

You Are Beautiful.

I'm in awe, Simon. Wow. Jealous!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                        Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Ringmaster

Wow, I run with some pretty ambitious, tough-minded folks, running "easy" 8-minute miles and putting in some high mileage for base weeks.

I have to wait til more seasonable weather for my southern racing, of course. I've been running some local 5ks but my times are off due to the heat and humidity--in the 25-minute range, well off my 23-minute PR. I still enjoy the racing, though, and pushing myself hard.

I'm trying to keep a 40mpw base in the next couple of months. My intent is to start marathon training in earnest in August for the Palm Beach marathon in early December, then run the Tallahassee half in February. Depending on how busy my fall schedule is (it's starting to fill up!) I'll switch the races around--train for the half in Palm Beach and do the full in Tallahassee.

I'll be short of the 40 this week and next, as we leave for NC (hopefully!) tomorrow and will spend a week in Cherokee. I hope to get some running in but nowhere near my regular mileage. Yesterday the little ones came down with somewhat high fevers, so we're in wait-and-see mode as to whether we can leave as planned or not.

Bar Harbor sounds great, Teresa; congrats on your son's continued success, too. Wish I'd run more when I was younger.

Larry, I hope your calf feels better. My knee is tweaky like that--seems like I'm running along with no trouble and then one day it tells me it doesn't like running any more. Hate that. Wishing you quick healing.

Paul, you seem on a course for the half marathoner of the year. With two races close together like that, you're sure to get so familiar with racing the distance that you'll do great. I wish I could race the distance more often. I'm doing great at keeping my long runs up, but racing the half isn't something I get to do as often as I'd like.

Cassie, if you can laugh while getting poured on while on a tough run, you're doing great! Runs like that are what training's all about. I'll tell you about my soggy marathon some day . . .

Keep running, everyone. I'll check back in in about ten days--no computer in the mountains. Just fishin' and being with the fam.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Well, I'm back.  Got a couple of runs in this week 4 and 5 miles, it poured out yesterday and I said the heck with that. 

The Calf is weak and tender, but not as bad as it was last year.  Went to theraphy again.  She thinks I probably didn't massage it enough before my run to work the knots and tension out of it. 

I'm wrapping it and using Ben Gay and ICY hot during the day and before my run and then icing it and wrapping it after my runs and lots of massaging it.  She also suggested a Calf Sleeve and highly recommended the Zensah brand.  Couldn't find it locally so ordered it on line and it should be here soon.

Hi to the newbies! Smile

Vixi, the calf is like your knee, fine one minute then all of a sudden it acts up.  She's now telling me that because of the tear and scar tissue, it's even more susceptible to injury (gee thanks for telling me now)

Mr PHinNJ, Well I'm about to say screw the easy run, that's how I tore it last year and as you know pulled it again this year. 

Teresa, so how is your streak going and hows the speedwork working out?  Tell us how DS did!

Simon, Sounds like you're doing well, I'm going over to check out your log in a minute.

I think I told you all that the HM I was palnning for the end of June got cancelled right?  Seems the facility hosting it (Lake Compounce) decided it interferred with thier business.  So I probably won't do another one until late Sept now.  Was planning on Sept 26th Hogsback  here in CT, however just got a call from my brother that my nephew is getting married in NH on Friday night the 25th so that might be difficult.  But I did find a HM in NH very close to where I'll be for Sat the 26th.  It's called the Applefest (or something like that) in Hollis NH and it's probably only 20 miles from I'll be, so I'll probably plan on that one and if my plans work ut and training goes well for the Full "M", I'll be doing the Hartford Marathon two weeks later. 

To all of the dads in this group, hope you have a great fathers day.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Larry, I hope your calf behaves!  I'm glad you got some advice for it.  Will that NH HM be hilly?  The one I'm doing on the coast in October is supposed to be very flat, whew.

DS had a very sad New England meet.  In the 4x800 relay (the fastest of 3 heats), the first two boys set PRs, and he was on his way to one, also.  Coming around the final curve, he passed a couple of boys and was in a tight pack.  He's not used to that situation, because his team is always so far out in front!  There was a lot of jostling, and he dropped the baton!!!  It was heartbreaking.  They were in 4th place at that point, and their fourth runner is so fast they would have moved up some more, probably.  DS had to stop and pick up the baton.  They ended up in 12th place (out of 28 teams).  The saddest part was that this was the last time this group of 4 boys will race together, because two of them were seniors.  He ran the 3200 later, but his heart wasn't in it and his time was slower than last year (9:45 vs. 9:39).  So we are trying to forget about it and move on!  He had his last final today, so he's pretty happy. We'll be on vacation for two weeks, and then we'll have to get serious about college applications and interviews.  Eek! 

I ran 30 days in a row, but my downfall was doing speedwork at a local track.  I pushed too hard, and my quads started killing me.  They weren't better after a week, and the coach said I should take a few days off.  So now I'm back at it, but I may not streak for a little while.  We'll see!

Hope everyone took it easy over the weekend and recovered a bit!

I was away at a car club event, so missed my long run, total for the week was about 24 miles in 3 runs.

I am sure your son was upset, Teresa, but it's one of those character building experiences you get in any competitive activity.(Easier for us to be philosophical about it as parents than it is for him!)

Nice to hear from you again, vixi, sounds like training is going well other than the knee, have a good fishing trip.

Simon.