Half Marathon Trainers

psychological aspect? (Read 31 times)

keeponrunning

How do you deal with the difficulty of keeping your focus during a 13.1 mile race?

The reason I ask:  my recent 10k time was 52:11.  That puts me at a 1:56Tight lippedx half, yet the fastest I've run is 2:14Tight lippedx.  While I realize that my aerobic fitness could be a bit better, I trained for the half using a Running Wizard plan so I think I should, fitness-wise, be able to at least break 2:10.  Thoughts on how to focus and 'push through the pain' in a half?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Zelanie

Well I've only run one half so far, but I think with good preparation and a sensible pace there's not too much pushing through the pain until maybe the last couple of miles.  At least that's how it is for me, because I hate to run fast enough that there's any pain to push through. Wink

I would guess that in your case it's a combination of two things.  It looks like you've been averaging about 30K a week, give or take, yes?  At that rate, I would expect the half marathon distance to be quite challenging!  For me, I feel like I would want a base of at least 50K/week to really feel prepared for the HM distance.  And not just through a short training plan.   That's the minimum distance I would want to be able to run comfortably, week in and week out.

Second, I wonder if it's also a matter of starting out too quickly?  The trouble with race pace is that if you go out too fast, you can't really slow down enough to recover later, so the whole thing just starts to suck.

The good news is, I don't think it's an issue with the HM distance itself.  So there is hope that you can do one and enjoy it some day! Smile

Hope that was helpful.

keeponrunning

Well I've only run one half so far, but I think with good preparation and a sensible pace there's not too much pushing through the pain until maybe the last couple of miles.  At least that's how it is for me, because I hate to run fast enough that there's any pain to push through. Wink

I would guess that in your case it's a combination of two things.  It looks like you've been averaging about 30K a week, give or take, yes?  At that rate, I would expect the half marathon distance to be quite challenging!  For me, I feel like I would want a base of at least 50K/week to really feel prepared for the HM distance.  And not just through a short training plan.   That's the minimum distance I would want to be able to run comfortably, week in and week out.

Second, I wonder if it's also a matter of starting out too quickly?  The trouble with race pace is that if you go out too fast, you can't really slow down enough to recover later, so the whole thing just starts to suck.

The good news is, I don't think it's an issue with the HM distance itself.  So there is hope that you can do one and enjoy it some day! Smile

Hope that was helpful.

Right now about 35km/week is my average, but when I did the half I was averaging about 50km/week.  Yes, if I were to do a half today, I would die.  Joking

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

elodie.kaye

How many halfs have you run?  My best half was almost 10 years ago, but I'd run half a dozen in 1:53+ and an equal number of 10-milers before I had a big breakthrough to 1:44.  I ran 53km/wk for a month, 58km/wk the next month, and 66km/wk for the final month before my fall half.  I think it helps to run some shorter races on similar mileage.  In the 18 mos. before that half, I raced a bunch of 10Ks, 10-milers, and a 15K on the same mileage as you, ~50km/wk.  The 10M and 15K are very close in pace to a half, but they're half an hour shorter, so you can build up your focus from a 10K.  Also, racing a strong 15K or 10M will give you a lot of confidence.

Thoughts on how to focus and 'push through the pain' in a half?

In my experience, the last 5k of a Half is pretty tough to hold your race pace.  That last bit is where I'm reminding myself of all the miles I put in during training and how I worked harder than that guy right in front of me, etc.  They might be all lies I tell myself, but to answer your question, its your training that lets you handle the pain late in a race.  The first 15k feels fast, but not exactly painful.  Or at least not painful in the way that a 10k hurts from the very start to the brutal finish.

I agree with you, with your 10k time of 52:11, then you should expect to shoot for sub 2 hours.  You've got the right idea about working on your aerobic fitness.  Putting in more miles is going to get you the "focus" to get over the hump.  Good luck!

I think it comes from training and having the confidence as well as knowing your body to know what you can do on that given day.  We have all experienced Good days and bad days, so you've got to know what type of day you have in you.

Next I think you need to know what that pain is. Obviously if it's something serious, then don't push it and stop.  If it's simply pain because your tank is running on empty, then you either have

1. Gone out too fast

2. Not trained enough

3. Did not prefuel enough

4. Did not hydrate and refuel during the 1/2

The rest is mental, can you reach down and find that last bit of energy, that last drive to push you through. Maybe a running partner to help you throughout the race to keep each other motivated.   Sometimes the strength is there, you just need to pull it out.  Go to race reports and look at my report for September and how I reached out and helped a fellow runner struggling down the finish line.  He was done and ready to walk, but he found the strenght to not only keep running, but to pick up the pace dramatically.

Me, I often will chat with people on the course and along the course, it keeps me relaxed and loose.

My last piece (Mr Ripper) others have heard me say before, that my Manta at that point is only a 5K left, I can run a 5K.  Then at 11 it's only two miles left, etc.  Rather than look at it I'm at mile 10, mile 11 etc, it makes it sound a lot longer.

How do you deal with the difficulty of keeping your focus during a 13.1 mile race?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"