Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - May 2011 (Read 689 times)

Matt-big race this weekend?

Sad

This week has been crazy! We're doing this relocation back to Dallas; We put out house on the market last Friday expecting a fairly drawn out sales process; the average time on market for comparable houses near us right now is over 70 days. We sold it on Sunday with a planned closing date of June 24th. Initial reaction - AWESOME!!! Immediately followed by... oh crap where are we going to live?!

To say we were caught a little off guard by this is an understatement! We just were not expecting to have to move (literally) so quickly.

Decided that the only thing for us to do was to send the missus to DFW this holiday weekend to find a house.

As a result I have a long weekend with my 2 boys planned, however those plans do not include a solo Sunday morning, running a HM.

Before I say what I am going to say next I acknowledge that in a month where we have touched on family health issues, as we have for many here, I am grateful that I have my health. It's awesome that I get time, as a dad, with my kids. Heck, I've just sold a house in 48 hours and I still have my job in a week which 4 other folks in my office got bad news. But y'all are my running peeps and are about the only people I can b*tch to at any level about this;  from a running perspective it has definitely put me in a funk! This was a target race for me and I am gutted not to be running.

I've been running pretty well and consistently, missed a few long runs but that's about it. This week's funk has been categorized by zero miles logged. I was traveling for work and threw myself into it. If I had been racing this weekend I would have found a way to get miles in, but knowing I wasn't going to be out there, it was all too easy to work instead.

Also, not logging in here. Am I the only one who feels like no running makes it much harder to post here (it's probably a shame/ego thing! Wink)

It means that May will be the worst month of the year for me in terms of mileage and contain my second DNS of the year.

But enough of such self pity!

It's all about perspective and balance, I know, and this post is just my way of venting before re-finding mine! (Thanks for "listening" to my moaning. Y'all rock!)

The boys (5 and 4) made a plan for our "boys weekend" without mum;

The Plan

Life is good. I'm not  posting an DNS due to injury; There's another HM somewhere (probably Dallas!!!) with my name on it sometime soon.

In the mean time, if any of you need me this weekend I'll be at "chuc-e-chees"! Smile

Keep on keeping on HM team - catch you all in June

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow, Matt! That's a lot to take in at once and you don't get the run to blow off some of the stress of it all. That's lousy! But I hope this craziness is shortlived and you can get settled in Dallas, get a different race on your radar and move forward. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Matt-

that's quite a plan. And yes, there is a half marathon out there with your name on it. Vegas!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

22km on a hilly course yesterday. First 18km went really well, nice easy and relaxed but last 4km were very trying.  I don't think I prepared well enough day before and I always struggle running early. 2 weeks time we repeat the course and add another 2.5km or so on to it

On Saturday I did a 6km hill run and felt very strong and relaxed

I just wish i knew why some days you feel great and some days not so.  If I did i would bottle it and save it for the big day!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm struggling with pace these days. My long run yesterday I was just running and had to keep reminding myself to slow down. Without meaning to, I'd pick up the pace. *sigh* I don't know why I can't seem to keep my pace down. I've never had this issue before, but then I've had higher more consistent mileage the last 5-6 weeks than I've had in a long time. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

I'm struggling with pace these days. My long run yesterday I was just running and had to keep reminding myself to slow down. Without meaning to, I'd pick up the pace. *sigh* I don't know why I can't seem to keep my pace down. I've never had this issue before, but then I've had higher more consistent mileage the last 5-6 weeks than I've had in a long time. Smile

Wait a second !  You were running at easy effort, you're enjoying the benefit of 6 weeks good base training which is making the pace easy and you fought to slow down? Silly rabbit...race by pace, train by effort.   Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Meg that may be something we shouldn`t complain about!

We have had a family of Canadian geese in the back yard the last two days, parents and three beuatiful tiny goslings. We have a large yard with a natural pond, the little ones bob about like rubber ducks, really comical. Lots of bushes and trees provide cover, and they seem not to be at all nervous.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wait a second !  You were running at easy effort, you're enjoying the benefit of 6 weeks good base training which is making the pace easy and you fought to slow down? Silly rabbit...race by pace, train by effort.   Wink

That's why I love this group. I'm overthinking it and sometimes I need those obvious reminders.

It is good to see my consistency is paying off. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.