Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - August 2011 (Read 822 times)

Hi Folks

Welcome to August already!

Here in the Southern US the heatwave continues. We are now on day 31 of consecutive 100F+ temps - 10 more days to beat the record. It's forecast to hit 108F on Thursday!

July brought me my 3000th mile since I started running 3.5 years ago but even with that milestone crossed and a race in 2 weeks time, running seems like a real chore right now. I think it's because my pace takes such a beating in the heat that it feels like I am walking!

Still, August brings that "race" of sorts and the drive to be more consistent and try to put 100 miles in the bank before 9/1.

Pass me the ice cold powerade... Wink

Hope you are all doing well?

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Good luck with training through the heat Matt - it sounds awful to me.  And congrats on your 3000 miles!

August for me is a month of choices and decisions.

Next Saturday (6th) I run the Wellington Road Champs which is a selection race for both the National Road Champs (20th Aug) and National Road Relays (3rd Sep).  So the outcome of that will basically determine the rest of my August.

Also my partner is racing at the Wellington Road Champs (despite having been injured for weeks!)  The outcome of his race - and particularly how well his achilles stands up to it - will determine whether we head to New York in November for the marathon or not.

Ho hum.  Update to follow next week!

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Good luck in the road champs Mandy. The twins are running the Auckland one this weekend.  Will be good to get out of the mud.  Claire ran 3rd in the Club XC Champs last weekend, Ashley 4th which is not bad considering the 1st place went to the National XC Champ and 2nd went to the girl that came 4th? at Taupo

Have my weekends pretty much planned this month. I plan to shave back the long run distances a bit in August back more towards a conventional 3 month out marathon plan

• This weekend 30km rolling (stamina)
        • Following weekend competetive 21km Trail Run (strength). I am not gonna race though, use it as training. It will be brutal
        • Following weekend 25-30km rolling (stamina)
        • Following weekend trail run to the highest peak in Auckland (Kohukohunui). I hear they have just put up a huge viewing platform so could be fun 22-23km of steep stuff with some technical muddy stuff and some stairs.  I have hiked here over 10x but never run it  (strength and fun)

Among that just as many 10-12km easy runs as I can put together on road and trail

Aiming for 250odd kms but they will be harder km's than last months 290

Then September will be serious high milage month, will look to go over 300 if the body lets me

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

aAugust looks like a full 4.5 weeks of steady miles for me (probably around 180). Just want to keep doing what I'm doing, while building up the long runs a bit. Wildcard is just started a new role at work, and hopefully that doesn't impact my time too much.

9 weeks to go to goal race...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Matt: thanks for the August start! Congrats on the 3000th mi. I've got a ways to go to get there, am just under 2400. At current pace another 7-10 months. Austin, TX early morning heat has driven me into/onto gym dreadmills. Austin is in upper 40 triple digit days so far, lost track of how many in a row!

Mandy - good luck on the road race(s)! Lets hope you make all of them!

Vino - sounds like a solid plan! hoping it stays injury free

H2: your plan is similar to mine, but with higher mileage. To hot to look for any nearby halves in August.

I'm still looking/dreaming of doing the Fort Worth Half in Nov, followed by Decker Half in Austin in Dec. FW was my first half and is a very level route, while Decker is very hilly and caused calf/Achilles irritation last year - but that was longest run in Vibrams at the time. Plan is to keep monthly time on feet in the 25-30 hr range.Need to juggle helping DD2 and SIL with the twins now that she has headed back to work and is past the birth induced psychosis. have put DW on record that I need to get my runs in! Here's hoping she lives up to her commitment to me - and that I live up to mine! LOL

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Matt: thanks for the August start! Congrats on the 3000th mi. I've got a ways to go to get there, am just under 2400. At current pace another 7-10 months. Austin, TX early morning heat has driven me into/onto gym dreadmills. Austin is in upper 40 triple digit days so far, lost track of how many in a row!

Mandy - good luck on the road race(s)! Lets hope you make all of them!

Vino - sounds like a solid plan! hoping it stays injury free

H2: your plan is similar to mine, but with higher mileage. To hot to look for any nearby halves in August.

I'm still looking/dreaming of doing the Fort Worth Half in Nov, followed by Decker Half in Austin in Dec. FW was my first half and is a very level route, while Decker is very hilly and caused calf/Achilles irritation last year - but that was longest run in Vibrams at the time. Plan is to keep monthly time on feet in the 25-30 hr range.Need to juggle helping DD2 and SIL with the twins now that she has headed back to work and is past the birth induced psychosis. have put DW on record that I need to get my runs in! Here's hoping she lives up to her commitment to me - and that I live up to mine! LOL

Bob, my "injury free" plan is to do a chunk of miles off road, and to run 90% of my miles at very easy pace.  I have seen already with some of my training partners what happens when you let yourself be sucked along at a quick pace while training. Combine that with lots of sleep, spa after a long run and eating well and fingers crossed I stay in good shape.  It has worked so far.  August for me is a month to "toughen up", put some challenges up but at the same time stay fresh mentally

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Wow Matt, 3000 miles is amazing. Isn't that pretty much across the continental US?

I've got a wee bit of pride for my 70 mile month of July - most ever for me. Getting through July (beginning of training, heat, etc..) and meeting my training goals has set me up for a strong August. My goal is to run 20+ mile weeks, incur no injuries, and extend my long run to 10 miles. I have noticed that easy runs are getting easier, and I'm hoping my shortest runs are no less than 4 miles. That half  in October is seeming within reach at this point!

Peaceful running everyone.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow, lots going on! Here's to getting in those miles and staying injury free!

I'm coming off the worst week of training yet. I lost a 3 mile run due to lightning and had to cut my 9 miler short at 4 miles because of the heat. That's 8 miles lost in a week. That's a lot. I'm trying not to let it bother me, but worries still creep in. I'm not as experienced as most of the people on this board and my mileage isn't as high. I've got about 6 weeks to race day. I'm trying to focus forward. I need a good training week.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I've never been real big on mileage goals, but...

Last night was my 176th run of the year and hit 999.8 miles (had I known I would have gone another 2 minutes to pick up the 0.2)...anyway, in all of 2010 I ran 176 times for 664 miles total (I only started in march, but still). So, not that it means anything, but it's just kind of nice to see the progression.

Last year my thinking was, "there's no way I can run more than x times a week, or x miles a week - I don't have the time, I don't have the stamina, I don't have xyz"...and yet magically, (or really, because I want to, and found a way) I actually do.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

"there's no way I can run more than x times a week, or x miles a week - I don't have the time, I don't have the stamina, I don't have xyz"...and yet magically, (or really, because I want to, and found a way) I actually do.

Ain't that the truth.

After running an easy 4 yesterday I went on a 4 mile hike (1460 ft elev) and then took a nap. That was my day. Yet today I'm fighting the urge to do another 4 mile run (injury prevention!). I am addicted - I'll just double my weight work instead.

an amazing likeness

I'm coming off the worst week of training yet. I lost a 3 mile run due to lightning and had to cut my 9 miler short at 4 miles because of the heat. That's 8 miles lost in a week. That's a lot. I'm trying not to let it bother me, but worries still creep in. I'm not as experienced as most of the people on this board and my mileage isn't as high. I've got about 6 weeks to race day. I'm trying to focus forward. I need a good training week.

Don't let it bother you Meg.  You've got 6 weeks.  That's one more than 5.  Wink  Quite a few formal half marathon training plans are 9 weeks total, so you've got 2/3 of a full training cycle.

Plenty of time to get base miles in. Just focus on getting to a few comfortable runs in the longer range for the next few weeks, with distance as the goal and not pace.  Then you'll have 2 weeks near the end the 'sharpen' going into your half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Meg if you take all the opportunities given to you then those opportunities taken from you shouldn't be an issue

Here in NZ it is winter. If I take all the windows of good weather to my advantage, the odd day where I had hoped to run and for whatever reason a spanner is put in the works it doesnt matter

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks. I had a really good 4.5 miler yesterday and had to switch today's planned hill run with tomorrow's easy run, so I'm trying to look forward.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Very excited

Just ran 30.6km at a very comfortable pace. Finished with plenty of gas left in the tank and still managed to knock it out in 2:43.

On track and feeling good at the moment, just have to keep myself off peak and resist the urge to up the pace.

Lovely cool overcast day here, great run - much of it coastal with the tide right in.  Great day to be alive.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Just ran 30.6km at a very comfortable pace. 

Fantastic Vino... and all you other long distance veterans.

Now I've only done 5 long runs, but when will they seem more comfortable ( less painful)? I know I was pushing it to get ready for a half in only 13 weeks, but feel I've done a decent job of training so far. I started feeling self doubt on this mornings long run though. The first 6 miles was fine, but it got tough for the last 2.5. Can I expect  an easier go before my early October race, or do I just need to HTFU for the next  7 weeks?