Marquess of Utopia
Right on Hereford...
I am in Week 4, training for Chicago on September 14.
Man, yesterday's workout nearly killed me! 1x2mi at 10k pace, 2x1mi at 5k pace, 2x800 at slightly faster than 5k pace. Can't say I made all the paces that I wanted...
This is a tough program, if you ask me!
Okay, now that I've completed my half, I am a TOTAL BELIEVER in this program! It was tough, but man, I exceeded even my "pipe dream" goal of breaking 1:25 (came in at 1:24:26). For reference, even the most optimistic race predictors gave me a time of 1:27:20 based on my best recent race. Also, I have never come close to my "predicted" race times at longer distances in the past, so I always thought the 5k and 10k were my best distances. That all changed in Chicago...
Race report here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e8524b9e83c347c69a81e1e930856dc8
I am definitely going to use this program again for my next half.
- I was running an average of 4 days and 29 miles per week before starting this program.
- Just before starting the program, I stepped it up to running 6 days a week.
- I jumped into the program in week 2.
- Excluding the last two taper weeks, I averaged 44 miles per week during the program.
- The program has two options: Short and Long. I generally used the Short plan, but my long runs were based on the Long plan.
- I often added a few extra miles to daily workouts and long runs.
- I always ran on days listed as "Off, XT, or easy run of 30-45 minutes."
- Mondays were my only days off.
- I did two races during the program. The first was a 5k that replaced my tempo workout in week 5. The second was a 15k that replaced my "Race-Sim" workout in week 6. I felt that the 15k race was just about the PERFECT training race for the half marathon, and the timing was perfect, too.
By the way, Chaloo, how's it going now? You should be in week 7 or 8, right? Which race are you doing, and what's your goal?
Double IPA Please!
Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger
Shipping is always free with me!! :-)
Prince of Fatness
Do a 2mile warm up and 2 mile cool down as opposed to just 1.
The only thing that Im trying to understand and figure out is the Tuesday Speed Sessions. Its a little much for my brain to absorb. I mean I know what it is asking, but having only run 2 10milers and 1 Half Im not sure of my paces for a 10k or a 5k. Im doing a 5miler next month but for now - I dont know what my paces are for those other distances. How do I figure that out then?
NICE race man! Great to hear positive results from this program. The training for me is going great. PR's a VERY hilly 10K last week and I have 2 weeks left until the Hartford Half.
I followed the long program very close. Outside of the next two weeks (taper) I have averaged right around 37 MPW which is almost 15 MPW over my prior average.
My current weight is 202.5 so I think I'm going to shoot for the top Clyde finish. Don't think I can run a sub 1:25 like you but I don't think a sub 1:35 is out of the question.
Again, congrats on the great race!
I printed this plan out and I am thinking about trying it for my next half in November. However, would I just add miles if I want to log higher mileage? I'd like to reach 45 and then sit there for awhile and his plan does not hit 40 even- at least not that I noticed, I only glanced quickly at it. I need to look at it again some more before Monday when I start training again.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether this plan is applicable to folks my age an older (45)? I'm finding now that I can do the workouts, but need more time to recover than say, 10 years ago.
Thanks, Chaloo. Glad to hear your training is going so well! I think a PR 10k is an excellent sign that you're on your way to a new half marathon PR. Your significant increase in weekly mileage is really going to pay off, as well.
And man, I can't believe you run so fast as a Clyde! Nice work. I bet you will break 95 minutes.
1:37:30. I'm happy with the results. Took over 4 minutes off my HM PR in less then 6 months with this program. I give it 2 thumbs up.
© 2013 RunningAHEAD, LLC. All rights reserved.
| Terms of Service