Half Marathon Trainers

How to increase Long Runs ? (Read 517 times)

Beginner all over again

I do the Run/Walk/Run, so I posted this in another thread, but it's a general HM question, not particular to Run/Walk/Run or Galloway's HM plan.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/Forum/Post/4696bbbd46b54dc496fde0b182551852#focus 

Thanks for visiting my post. I'd appreciate any comments. 

I took a quick look and was glad to see, that you have a goal to increase a little every week.  The only way you will ever learn to run further is by forcing yourself to do.  It builds endurance and strength as well as mental conditioning. 

.25 miles a week is not agressive and if you are happy with where that gets you in 20 weeks, then that's fine. My take on it is to see where that gets you over the next month or two.  You may want to to increase that as you get stronger.

Welcome to the group and good luck

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Lu481

With a gradual increase of .25 miles per week you should be able to avoid injuries no problem as long as you don't overdo it on the speed. 

If you are still walking for a good portion of the 2-3 mile runs you might want to wait until you can run the full 2-3 miles at a time before you start picking up your mileage. Also, some runners will do their long runs with a 10 min run/1 min walk strategy.  This gives them a bit of recovery during the run and also helps them to build up the mileage safely.  You might want to experiment with this and see if it works for you.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Lu

Beginner all over again

you might want to wait until you can run the full 2-3 miles at a time before you start picking up your mileage     

Thank you both for your comments.

I never intend to give up my Walk Minute, but I do increase my JogSegment by :10 seconds every week or two.

I started with Jog 10 seconds and am up to 70 seconds, so that will increase too.