Half Marathon Trainers

November (Read 448 times)

HappyFeat

I ran 6 today...following my 20 yesterday...not a single, solitary sore muscle or tight spot. YAY Smile

Vege, that's awesome!! YAY is right!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Welcome to all the new HMT members.

I agree with Vege: "This is a great group for tips and motivation Smile Can't wait to hear about all your training and racing stories!"

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Welcome to all the new HMT members.

I agree with Vege: "This is a great group for tips and motivation Smile Can't wait to hear about all your training and racing stories!"

Looking at the member list it looks like we have over 25 new members in the last 2-3 days - I am guessing most of them came over from RWOL. Welcome to HMT folks, good to have you here! Smile

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Big welcome to all the new members!

Thanks for joining, the more members and posts the more interesting.

Feel free to start new topics, were any/all of you members of a half group at RWOL?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Big welcome to all the new members!

Thanks for joining, the more members and posts the more interesting.

Feel free to start new topics, were any/all of you members of a half group at RWOL?

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.  I was not a member of a half group on RWOL but I was a regular poster in RWOL's beginners forum.  There really wasn't groups there the way there is here.  There was a training forum that I could post in though. 

I've only run one HM and am really looking forward to running my second one on March 17th.  I ran my first one in 2:28:57 and am looking to run my next one a lot faster.  I had only been running for 5 months when I ran my first one.  Currently my long runs are run at a 10:30 pace and shorter runs are 9:45-10:10 pace.  Some easy runs are still at a 10:20 pace.  

For now I'm building my weekly mileage up to 40 mpw and once I get there I'll start adding speed work/hard runs once or twice a week.  I'm hoping the combo of more miles and running faster will help me get my long run pace under 10 min miles by March.  Ideally I would LOVE to get my pace down to 9:10 for the first 12 miles and then run my last 1.1 miles all out but I know that is a stretch but we'll see.  That is my ultimate goal (just under or at 2 hours) but I'll also be happy if I can run it under 2:15.  

Does anyone else make goals that are probably a stretch and try and see if they can reach them?  I might be doing this wrong...

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

an amazing likeness

Does anyone else make goals that are probably a stretch and try and see if they can reach them?  I might be doing this wrong...

Every week...every darn week.

But I'll share one of things I've learned (and it's a personal running journey thing, so may not apply to you...) from the many experienced and very, very good runners here on RA -- that is the concept of too much precision.  Of aiming for precise goals in terms of pace or distance that our training can't yet deliver.

I'm in no way implying your training can't deliver the goals you've set. Nope, not at all. 

I'm infamous here (here's where everyone rolls their eyes and nods knowingly...) for approaching the half as 3 segments of 5mi + 5mi + 5K.

There have been races where I went in with specific time / pace goals for each segment and nailed them, and not run a good race...I could have run better in some way (faster, or less effort, or smarter in some way). Then there have been races where I was totally off from my plan and did something like run a PR or PW. 

What I am trying to convey is there are alternative versions of those precision-point goals...and our training needs to be the guide to what the goals should be....rather than the goals setting the training.  As a middle-aged hobbyjogger, where I fail most is understanding what my training is telling me about the goal for my next race -- I tend to look at my last race and say....'from that, I'll run this', and my training was saying 'no way, not that'.

I'm a big fan of stretch goals, but I try to make them more than any one event.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MilkTruck, thanks for your reply. (I know that sounds so “Care Bear” ish but I can’t help it, I swear it’s the elementary school teacher part of me)  I get the concept of too much precision because I remind myself about that in terms of distance before signing up for races.  I don’t hope I can cover the distance by race day but know I can before I register.  I think I need to apply it to pace a little more.

I didn’t take your reply as implying that I can’t hit my “super goal” but more as a caution.  I’m actually really good at listening to my body and have no issues with changing up a run (swapping out a tempo run for an easy run) if my body says so.  I do like to push myself and I do want to see how far I can run and how fast I can run but I try to not get hurt in the process.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that if on March 17th my training hasn’t brought me to the point of running a HM in 2 hours or less so be it and I’ll try for it at my next HM.  I won’t be devastated but I will let my training tell me what my target time and pace should be. 

I’ve heard about approaching the half as  3 segments before.  I’m not sure if it was in an online article I read or if it is in the book I’m currently reading.  If I remember correctly it tells you to run the first 5 at a comfortable type pace, the next 5 a little faster, and the last 5k even faster.  You are supposed to leave it all on the pavement during the last 5k.  I think it makes sense. 

While I do have a “super goal” in mind I think I won’t make a real target goal until 8 weeks before the race.  8 weeks before the race I’m running a 10 miler race and will use that time to help me determine where I am.  However, how I feel and other race day factors might change my goal on race day. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

rainmakerrc

Like steph, I'm also new here.  I am currently recovering from my first marathon a couple of weeks ago, getting ready to start a new Pfitz cycle for marathon #2 in early 2013.  I ran a 1:30:59 tune-up half during the last training cycle and am looking to go sub-1:30 in 2013.  I think I have a decent shot during this next marathon training cycle, but if not, I'll shoot for a goal half in late Spring or early Fall.  I look forward to getting to know the group.

Philliefan33

Hi everyone.  (hello Steph!)

Like Steph, I've come over from RWOL and recently joined this group -- soon after I pushed "enter" on my HM registration.  I'll be lurking around, learning as much as I can.

I've been running almost a year now.  I've been conservative in building up mileage, partly because I'm older than many beginners (47).  I am not  fast but I keep chugging along.

I"m working on getting my base up to a solid 30 miles/week, if I don't hit any major bumps I should be there by the end of January.  Then I will either start a training plan to take me to the race at the end of April, or make up my own plan.  My goal for this first HM is to finish.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Hi there! I'm from RWOL too. I started running this past April and ran my first half marathon just this month - the Route 66 in Tulsa, OK on November 18th. I finished in 2:15:56, which was right in line with my goal, so I'm happy about that! I think I probably could have pushed it a bit harder, but I was afraid of blowing up, so I played it a little bit safe.

As you can see from my log, this month has sucked mileage-wise due to taking some extra rest days in the two weeks before my half due to a weird twinge in my knee. I'm now on a holiday streak to keep my mileage up and am hoping to be on a 6 day per week schedule once I break the streak. I am also going to start introducing some speedwork and hill training into my routine now so I'll be ready for it when I start my official training in mid-January. I am going to be using a Pfitz program for sure, but the less than 30 plan isn't enough and the 30-50 is too much, so I need to adjust the mileage to peak at 40. I work full-time, go to school pretty much full-time (11 credit hours), and I have a family, so more than 40 mpw is just too much for me to manage right now.

My next half will be the OKC Memorial on April 28th, which is kind of nifty because it is the day before my 33rd birthday. I'd like to hit somewhere between 2:00 and 2:05, but of course, a sub-2:00 would be awesome too. I improved really quickly with this past training cycle just by adding more miles, so I really don't know what to expect right now and will adjust my goals accordingly as I get closer to the end of my training.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

hog4life

I'd like to join this group too, and I'm also from RW. I've run 2 halves, 1st one was 2:08Tight lippedx, and the 2nd was 2:01:27. I'm already signed up for the Mercedes in February and the Oak Barrel in April. I hope to have a solid training cylce to get in the 1:52:00 range. To break 1:50 would be awesome.

I'm 51 YO male, running for 4.5 years, have Crohn's Disease, and most recently am a colon cancer survivor.  

I look forward to learning and sharing from this new group.

Mitch

an amazing likeness

Welcome to all the new folks, sorry about not naming you each individually...glad to have you join us.

I saw a couple posts asking how this group "works" (my word)...and HappyFeat gave a great summary.  Most weeks we have a weekly racers to highlight planned racers, their events and results. Love race reports as follow-up, photos always get ohhs and aahhs.

Looks like most have found the Upcoming Races thread to post plans for coming races -- I'll get the 2013 calendar started shortly.

Whether you're working towards your first or fortieth half marathon, we're interested in your training, your plans, how you're approaching your next race, what works for you and what doesn't.

Questions will get you a variety of input from runners of a variety of backgrounds, ages, paces, and training styles.  That's the strength of the community, you can synthesize from all those sources into your own approach.

For the folks from RWOL specifically, I glanced into your BF group and...wow -- you all are a very social group...lots of messages and topics. Hope we don't bore you to death with the 'Norwegian Bachelor Farmer' (some will need to google that...) style of RA.

I saw something recently with stats showing the half marathon as the most popular race distance in the US in 2012, with something over 16 million runners in the US. That floored me, but it is a great distance -- long enough to take focused training and endurance, you can out train those you can't outrun.

Wishing you fleet feet and safe runs for all your training miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'm going nuts here!!

I'm seriously an addict.

I had 2 "running dates" today and I had to cancel one because I am NOT supposed to be running too much!!

One girl wanted me to run 4 with her this AM, and I am running a slow 3 this afternoon with another friend. I thought about doing both then "lying" about it on my RA log!! HA!

I know there is science behind the taper. As MT said "keep it in the barn"...

So I'm just doing the 3 Smile

Tomorrow I get to do 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

vegefrog

To all the newbies who have joined our group, welcome!

As MT said, we don't really have many threads in here...the monthly and the intrepid racers threads pretty much cover everything we have to discuss.

As far as intro's, feel free to jump in on this November thread with your introductions instead of each creating a separate intro thread Smile You will most likely get more of a response that way. We like to keep all our peas in one pod, so to speak!!

As far as tips for training...I highly recommend reading through the training tips and running 101 threads in the main forums. When I first joined RA a year ago, that's what I did. TONS of wonderful information there to help beginner, intermediate and advanced runners from the 5K to the marathon Smile

From the Internet.

As far as intro's, feel free to jump in on this November thread with your introductions instead of each creating a separate intro thread Smile You will most likely get more of a response that way. We like to keep all our peas in one pod, so to speak!!

Oops. Should have read this before posting a separate thread Blush My bad!

I've seen some familiar faces introducing themselves so I figured I'd do the same Smile I've also migrated over from RWOL. I'm still a new runner, started walk/running sporadically in March of this year and got more serious about getting better at it in July. 

I've battled through some overuse injuries from upping my intensity too quickly (racing is fun. Too fun.), I'm back on track now and planning to just log easy miles all winter. I've registered for a late April HM with a flat course and a small field, so it should be a good experience for my first. Just planning to finish it, and then if all goes well I'll follow a more structured plan for a fall race. I'll mostly be lurking and absorbing information from you all for now, but wanted to say hi Smile