Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers October 2008 (Read 632 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Oh kewl...I get to start it this month Big grin Hope everyone is doing well. Can't write much here as I am totally swamped at work...but just needed to log my morning run & check in here real quick (good distraction from work). Love the nice cool weather this morning...hope it sticks around for my HM on October 11. If it does, have a good shot at breaking 2 hours. Well, everyone have a great day...a great month (can't beleive it's October already). Good luck with your training and any races y'all might be doing!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Happy October! Nothing exciting to report here, my first HM is in 3 DAYS and I'm just hanging on trying not to freak out. I've been running every other day with some light stationary bike at the YMCA. I ordered a book "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami, and hopefully it arrives today at the office. Something to distract me in the evenings until Sunday. DH has been super supportive and has offered to drive me 2 hours down to the race (and back home), what does the SO do during the race? Have a good one, A

Recalculating...

Ayola, Good luck on your HM. Hope you're trying to stay relaxed. There is little you can do now to affect the outcome except for over train the next few days. Hopefully, you've got yourself on a good taper plan and the rest is about nutrition, rest and mental preparation. As for me, my leg is feeling better nad if the weather holds up, I'm going to run a little bit tonight and see how it goes. How's everone else doing, especially all of you folks from Maine? Did you survive the hurricane allright last weekend?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Prince of Fatness

DH has been super supportive and has offered to drive me 2 hours down to the race (and back home), what does the SO do during the race?
          My wife comes to most of my races with me. She holds my stuff for me, and has a towel and sweatshirt (if it's cold) ready for me at the finish. It's definitely nicer with her there. For longer races like the HM, she'll watch me start then maybe go grab a cup of coffee or something. Sometimes she brings a book to read. Most of the time she'll chat with someone while she is waiting for me to finish. It's funny, she says she likes going and calls herself a race groupie. Good luck this weekend. MTA: I probably don't need to say this, but make sure you thank him.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Oh crap! I forgot to mention that I signed up for my next half marathon this morning. It's the same one I ran this spring, the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon. May 3, 2009. Registration just opened today. It's cheaper if you get in early, plus it has been filling up earlier every year. This will be my 6th straight year .... great event.

Not at it at all. 

Good luck, Ayola, I am sure you will have a great race! My wife is supportive, too, I'm pleased to say. I am hoping my son will come on the 19th to see me off, then drive down to the finish to pick me up so I don't have to use the bus or subway. September was not a great month, my cousin in the UK committed suicide, mostly due to the failure of a business venture, my son broke up with a girl his mother and i really like a lot, I hardly ran at all, and due to a combination of sloth and gluttony, my favourite vices, I gained a couple of pounds. Not in great shape for my half in a couple of weeks, but I will persevere. Actual log shows 13 runs, only one a long run, total about 100 miles. October will be better, I am sure!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi Everyone from " Rehab Row"..... Wink I am in active recovery of my leg injury, and have decided to not race another HM till early next year.... I am working really hard on muscle conditioning and strenghth training, which I feel is and has been the root cause of all of my problems. I have always had these skinny little bird legs, and muscles to match, so I am going to spend the next couple months getting them bigger and stronger so that when I begin my next aggressive training program, I will KICK ASS. Tis my goal and I MEAN IT. Wink It pains me to not be running right now, but in the grand scheme of things, It is what must be done. I signed up for this sport for life, and I love the sport too much to not do the work. I'll still be in here, cheering for all my buddies, and sharing in the commaradere... Happy October! Smile MTA: Go Ayola! I am rooting so hard for you to have the race experience you have been dreaming of! Go Girl!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

Cheffy ... That sound you are hearing is everyone waiting for you to post some race pictures.

Not at it at all. 

Cheffy ... That sound you are hearing is everyone waiting for you to post some race pictures.
                    Just got a really poor quality one from the race last night. Hub is fixing it up and I will post it in a day or so.... It's funny though! I have a look on my face that is somewhere between smile and grimace..... Hub said I look like I am skipping across the finish line... Hang in there...It's on the way. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sounds like you have a good plan, Cheffy! My right arch is still sore, even though I keep icing it and massaging it. I ran 8.7 miles yesterday, so I decided to take a rest day today to give it a chance to get better. Larry, thanks for asking - the hurricane ended up going to Canada, so we didn't even get much rain. We got a lot more Saturday - it wasn't due to the storm! We got almost 11 inches of rain in September. Our total for the year is 48 inches, and normal to this point is 32 inches! Everything is very green, except for the beautiful foliage, which has turned earlier than usual. I'm hoping the sun comes out so we can take photos of our house with the addition completed. DS16 Update: At the Manchester Invitational Saturday, he finished the 5k in 16:40, for 6th place out of 197 runners. He and two of his teammates finished in the top 10. Their top 5 scorers averaged 17:03. Their top seven runners all finished under 18:00. They won the small school division easily, and would have come in 5th in the elite division (best schools from all over New England). There's a big meet in Belfast, Maine this weekend, with over 60 schools attending. There will be over 1200 kids - 330 in his heat, alone. It should be fun!
                        Teresa, that's fantastic for your son and his team mates. So, I ran 5 miles tonight pain free. Kept it around an 8 minute pace which was comfortable. A few stiff things, hip, calf, knee, but a good workout is what was needed. Weather was perfect tonight, cool, a little bit of sun and lots of colorful leaves on the ground. Only a few more weeks for me to be able to run outside on weekdays. We had a lot of rain in CT on Sat as well and overall in Sept. I don't remember the exact amounts, but I do know that it was in the range of what you stated. Sounds like everything is going to dry out over the next couple of days. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thanks everyone, checking in here really helps the nerves! I've read the first two chapters in the Murakami book - I definitely recommend it - he simply articulates alot of feelings about running beautifully - there's a great bit about thinking about nothing while running -I wish I could put down my thoughts in writing like that. Simon - I am sorry about your losses. Teresa - I'll try to check out some of that XC meet on Saturday, I'll have to go early - say hi if you see me I look exactly like my avatar - he he. In the afternoon, DH has arranged for a cruise with some friends - checking out the awesome landscape from the water - to try to relax (he's so sweet) - weather dependant of course. To obsess over something else this week, I'm planning some strength training for the end of the year to shore up wiggly knees, weak ankles and non-existant upper body strength, so I'll be looking for some pointers. Also I'll be back at low heart rate training to rebuild for next year. We had about 10 minutes of hurricane type weather last weekend - but really it was just rainy. I volunteered at our local 5K and got soaked - it was worth it to see the kids do a one mile race. Have a great Thursday all, its foggy but simply beautiful here A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ayola, good luck at your HM! I'm so excited for you. Mine was much more fun and less painful than I expected! I bought one of those oval "13.1" stickers, in pink and white, for my car. My kids got a kick out of that. I probably won't make it to the XC meet until early afternoon, because DS's heat will be at 2:10. How sweet of your husband to arrange a cruise! You have a keeper. Mr PH, that's great you signed up for the May HM! I need to get off my duff and decide on one. I'm not too motivated to run right now. Larry, I'm glad your leg did OK! Good news. I'm off to take DS16 to get his braces off!!! It's been almost 3 long years.
                              Teresa - good luck to DS and I'll need to get a sticker too!

Recalculating...

My first HM is 10/12. I’ve had very little race experience so pacing is my challenge. I know the distance will be fine – I’ve done 12, 12.5 miles and 10, 11, numerous times and know I could’ve run longer. I had planned on getting in the actual 13.1 this past weekend but a cold prevented me from doing that. Did 12.6 on Monday after I felt a little better. Two weeks before it was a yellow jacket sting in the knee that kept me from running for 4 days. So, a few setbacks recently. Anyway, the one race where I ran hard was the Charles River run June 25th. 7.5 mile race and I ran a surprising 7:45 pace. This morning I ran a 5.25 mile tempo and ran it pretty hard. I just wanted to see how I felt at a good effort. I managed an 8:02 pace. All my recent tempo runs haven’t gotten close to that race time – in distance or pace. I couldn’t have had THAT much adrenaline that day. But my mpw are up from June by a good 10+mpw. So I’m wondering why it’s so hard to hit that pace in a training run. Is adding more miles slowing my tempos? My plan is to start my HM slow. I know what a 9:30 pace feels like for me and I think I can stay there for the first 3 miles and then creep it up to 9:00 and hopefully feel good and crank it up a little further. I know I’m not supposed to worry about pace and time for a first HM but I need to. I know I can run 13.1 miles. I just don’t know how fast I can do it. So I need a realistic goal but with my lack of experience, it’s hard to figure that out. My 12.6 on Monday was ~9:00 pace and I didn’t feel like I was running superhard at all. I changed my goal from sub-2 hours to 1:50 and it was an arbitrary decision. I suppose with a good taper, rest and nutrition next week, perhaps I’ll be able to run faster than I think. I just don’t know. Sorry for the ramble but if I can’t spit all this out here, where would I? Big grin MTA: and a very Happy October to you all!