Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers October 2008 (Read 632 times)

Ringmaster

Congrats, Ayola, well done! (But you know you're not going to get away with that; we want details!) Running a virtual 13.1 this weekend as part of the Worldwide Half Marathon. Hoping to sub-2 but not killing myself to do it. Bad training week last week has me doubting myself but, on the other hand, better to have the off week last week than this week, huh? George, I've no doubt you'll sub-2 in your half--your pace is consistently faster than mine and I ran my first half in 2:02. Granted, mine was a flat-as-pancake course, but also 70 degrees at gun time. I'm following MrPh's advice this time and hoping to shave at least those two minutes off by starting at 9-min pace and adjusting by feel during the race. Can't wait for that report!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

OK, race report details Stats: I'm 37 5'6" 141 lbs, chip time 2:26:54 avg race HR 164, sunny and clear normal temps 39º- 50º Saturday (day before race) I've had a cold for a couple of days - minor sore throat, lots of snot. I do a just under 3 mile run with the last 2 at my planned pace 10:30- it seemed pretty easy. DH arranged for a boat ride with good friends to relax - we went out in Penobscot Bay and drifted around and ate roast beef sandwiches and chips, perfect afternoon. It's a bit cool for a sail so we have blankets and gloves. Sunday morning - up at 4am (I've been waking up all night - I'm really going to take DH advice and run more races next season so I can learn how to relax before a race) Coffee and Kashi waffles for breakfast. 4:45 DH drives us to Portland. Its COLD 35º We get to UMaine, everything is organized - its a small race (1000 marathoners, 1800 half marathoners - their biggest race ever) and everyone is friendly and joking around. I go outside to warm up and come right back in - its still cold! I put on on the nice new tech T over my nice old tech T and we go outside to line up. Wheelchair marathoner starts first and then the gun goes off unexpectedly - here we go! I'm a bit freaked out because I always run solo and all of a sudden I'm in a big pack - or local races are VERY small. Since I'm not wearing headphones I can hear everyone's footsteps - it sounds like a herd of stallions (in a good way) The plan is to run at 10:30m/m pace for 10 minutes and walk for 1 minute consistently for the whole race (2:25:00). Thanks Paul for the spreadsheet! I orginally wanted to run through (McMillian 2:17:00) and walk the water stations but I cramped in my last race 9/1 and still had cramping afterwards - I experimented with the run/ walk - no cramping -so this seemed right. I have a whole season to investigate that issue. Its very hard to slow down in the beginning - I find myself at 9:30 pretty often and have to check myself. most of the flem and snot is removed in the first 15 minutes - it seems the cold went on hiatus for 12 hours - I was breathing normally. Around mile 3, I'm in a little group - a pretty happy bunch, really chatty (are they running?) and we are all together until the turnaround - I notice that the most evenly paced people are marathoners. I lose them with my walk breaks and then catch up, as long as I can see them I know I'm OK. We see the leaders going home around mile 5.5 - its getting a little hilly, but I they aren't as bad as my regular hills. We turn around (1:13:00) and lose the evenly paced folks, a lot of people in my group are slowing down, so I move along to the next group - this part was a little lonely. By mile 9, 10:30 isn't easy - but I'm doing it. The wheelchair racer passes at my mile 10 -- he BQs. Mile 10.5 must high-five the chicken man (local nut bar) he does not give me a beer that I request. I get to mile 11 at my goal time 2:00:00, but I'm losing power. We get back to "Back Cove" which is the final 1.5 miles and I have to tough it out, it feels endless but actually I have an even split. Finally the end - there's a big unexpected sprint/ panic as we cross the HM finish line as everyone wants to get in before the winner of the marathon gets in (2:27Tight lippedx pretty close!) Post race - I'm not hungry - which is a shocker. DH scores space blanket. We talk to the race director - he is wonderful and he and DH talk about biking. Got a massage - which is why I can walk at all, suddenly I am incredibly sore, but extremely happy and proud. This is a great small city race, not alot of crowd nor music but beautiful views and lovely neighborhoods to run through. Cheap entry fee and nice T. I heard lots of good talk about the Maine Track Club - I wish I were closer to Portland so I could participate. Drive home, eat fish and chips, naps all around, snot and cold return... Today - I am starving. I eat normally (with the addition of an illegal brownie) and dream about food while making a model for work. I did gingerly walk for 40 minutes this morning. Tonight (Monday) - somehow made it up the stairs to my little office, after a late meeting, now sitting at computer with large glass of wine. I'm still assessing the whole experience. Lessons learned: 1. Follow the Plan, It Works! I'm a real improviser - this is so hard for me, I get excited and overdo it (in every aspect of life) I'm glad I had the willpower to stay within my limits (for my first HM) I don't have proper mile splits, because I set my Garmin for the 10/1 but each run segment was between 10:19 and 11:26. 2. Don't drink the Kool-Aid With love, A

Recalculating...

Prince of Fatness

Nice job, ayola. I'm glad that your cold didn't bother you much during the race. Congratulations.
        Sunday morning - up at 4am (I've been waking up all night - I'm really going to take DH advice and run more races next season so I can learn how to relax before a race)
        There's a tip that I got from these boards which has helped me with this. Make sure that you get a good night's sleep two nights before the race. The nerves won't be as bad and you should be able to sleep well. That way if you don't sleep well the night before you should still be OK. This has worked well for me.

Not at it at all. 

Congrats Ayola! Nice to hear you battled through it with a cold. I can't tell right now if I'm getting rid of the last cold or starting a new one. Hope you feel better and thanks for the report. I love reading these before my race this Sunday.

Crappy easy 4 miler this morning. Legs were heavy, my right hip flexor and groin are sore - i definitely strained it a bit and it's been bugging me for a couple weeks. Now, I have some sciatic pain to throw into the mix. Lower back soreness that radiates into my right glute and sometimes I feel it in my leg. Meh. There was just nothing free or easy about this morning's run. The last mile or so was a bit better but I think that's b/c it was downhill. One more easy 2 miler on saturday morning before race day Sunday. Hope that one goes a bit better. On the bright side the forecast for race day is perfect. Morning temps in low 50's creeping up to near 60 by end of the race and lots of sunshine. A beautiful fall day in Boston.

Thanks guys, MrPH - always good advice. I had a super short run yesterday and I'm feeling back to normal today, which is good because I go to meet the weight trainer after work George - I hope you feel better - these perfect fall days here in New England help alot. A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, sure is beautiful! Yesterday I ran 7.2 miles, stopping only once at the 5-mile point at a water fountain. This morning my friend and I ran 5 miles non-stop. We're back on track finally! Afterwards, I met a friend who's starting C25K, so we went 2 miles in 25 minutes (5 minutes walking, then alternating between 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking). I started C25K almost exactly two years ago, so this is fun! I hope she keeps up with it. She has 4 kids, including a 4-month-old, so it will be challenging, especially as the weather gets colder. She pushes the baby in a jogging stroller.

IMKY13 finish!!

Good day all!! Hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying this fine weather. I'm got my HM tomorrow at 7:0am and looking to break 2 hours. It's a flat course and weather should be good. It looks to be about 60 degrees at start time and close to 65 around 9:00am (hopefully the time I'm crossing the finish line), so it shouldn't be too bad. Personally, I'd prefer it to be a little cooler...but at least it's not too hot. After this race, I've got a 5K in November...then it's onto my full marathon in December (Huntsville). I'll post a RR on here sometime over the weekend.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Good day all!! Hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying this fine weather. I'm got my HM tomorrow at 7:0am and looking to break 2 hours. It's a flat course and weather should be good. It looks to be about 60 degrees at start time and close to 65 around 9:00am (hopefully the time I'm crossing the finish line), so it shouldn't be too bad. Personally, I'd prefer it to be a little cooler...but at least it's not too hot. After this race, I've got a 5K in November...then it's onto my full marathon in December (Huntsville). I'll post a RR on here sometime over the weekend.
                    Good luck Paul! My HM is Sunday. Course is hilly but still looking to break 2 hours too. Weather is ideal too!

IMKY13 finish!!

Good luck Paul! My HM is Sunday. Course is hilly but still looking to break 2 hours too. Weather is ideal too!
                      Good luck to you too, George!!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Super slow 4.5 miles today, perfect weather. Good luck Paul and George, I'll look for those RRs next week! -A

Recalculating...

Ran 13k/8 miles last night, with 10k at my goal pace for the half marathon. Although I made the 10k in 50 minutes I am pretty sure I could not hold that pace much further. My problem, as always, is speeding up close to the end of the run- in this case the last 3k were the fastest, about 15 seconds too fast. Taking it easy now so there will not be too many miles this week, just saving my energy for the big day! Well done Ayola! Hope Paul and george had good races.... Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

IMKY13 finish!!

Okay…did my HM Saturday. I wanted to break 2 hours but did it in 2:10:25. I don’t know what happened…I was on track to do it in 1:59 at mile 8, and then the bottom dropped out. The weather was near perfect at start time about 58 degrees (a tad warmer than I’d like it…but not too bad). I planned on doing 9/1 splits (run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute) and started out great. My legs felt real good thru the first miles and I fell into a nice 8:40 running pace (along with my walk breaks, that translated into about 9 minutes miles), as my legs felt fine with that pace. It was a pretty run thru side streets of this town about 1 hour south of Nashville. Plenty of shade and decent crowd support as we ran past houses and people sat on their front stoops or porches cheering us on. At the 10K mark, I was at 56 minutes (9:02 pace) and that was perfect…an estimated finishing time of 1:58:19 at that pace. My legs felt a little tired so I decided to switch to 4/1 splits (which is what I had been training with). By mile 8 I was at 1:13:00 (a 9:08 pace), with an estimated finishing time of 1:59:36 (still under my 2 hour goal, so I was happy). But then something happened…my legs felt really tired, I had slight blisters on the balls of my feet, and the heat was cranking up. By this point we were running on an open road with no shade and the sun was beating down on us. I was having a hard time maintaining my 4/1 splits at my current pace, so I slowed down a bit. The sun just kept getting hotter, and my legs were getting more & more tired. I ended up doing the last 5.1 miles at an 11:16 pace for my overall finishing time of 2:10:25. I know that’s a great time, and I am happy with it. But when I went into the race with a goal of 2 hours, it’s kind of disappointing not to meet your goal. I think what I need to do is to start training at 9/1 splits (for my long runs at least), so my legs will be used to those when it comes race time. My next HM probably won’t be until February, as I am doing a full marathon in December. I’ll maintain my 4/1 splits for my full marathon and then switch to 9/1 splits come the start of the year. I also need to incorporate strength training into my regimen to help build my muscles overall. Also, I need to determine why I get blisters on the balls of my feet…maybe I need to try different socks. Overall...it was a great race. The post-race food was some of the best I’ve ever had…as it consisted of (among other stuff) pizza and PBJ sandwiches…yum!! Have a great day everyone!!! MTA: Correct a couple of typos

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Well done, Paul! I think the heat made it tough for you, but that's a very solid run. No doubt you will do even better next time. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Paul, I've had a race like that where I went in knowing I'd done everything right in my training and yet on race day everything went against me . . . in fact, this weekend when I went out for my simulation run I had that feeling at mile 10 where I would have paid someone to pace me . . . my strategy was to pick up that pace at that point but I felt like I could barely pick up my legs . . . I'm glad you're thinking of a race a few months out to get your sub-2 finish in, and thinking of ways to train that might help. My most successful running friend says all races are learning experiences. What did I learn during my simulation 13.1? I can't eat Sport Beans during races--can't chew and run that fast! Good thing to know b/c I've been relying on them during long runs and it would have absolutely stunk to find out on the real race day that they don't work. I didn't use them during my first half, and I might not need them, but since the average low is 69 (it was 75 when we started on Saturday), it would be nice to have something just in case. Thanks for the rr, Paul.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile