Half Marathon Trainers

Can't waite (Read 439 times)

Although I have walked a HM before, my first real HM is just over 5 and half weeks away. I can't wait!!!! With the long runs I have had of late and completing them wthout walking I am not not really worried about running the entire distance! My time, I AM worried about but I think being caught up in the race will push me along better! The trick will be not to let it push me too hard at the start!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Gregg, I can't believe race day is almost here! Smile This years training seemed to go by a lot faster than last year. Dh is still hanging in there. Battling leg and foot pain still but it looks ... finally ... like he will make the race. He's said all along this was the last year he was going to do the mini but last night he was actually talking about when we run it next year. ;-) I knew he'd come around. LOL! You'll do great in the race. I hadn't run a whole 13 miles last year. (We walked/ran in training.) On race day we ran the whole thing, except for the crowded water stops. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing. Wink Teresa
        My wife wonders that I am already planning next year's run. She thinks that at 54 I'll be too old! That and why run wihen just about every one in my division will finish ahead of me. Of course that was WALKING. My group training started that way. The only people behind me were the walkers. Then on the 10 mile run things changed. The running group right behind me was 10 minutes behind me and the next running group some 5 to 7 minutes further back. Last week's run had about the same results, so I must be doing something right. Last week I really paid attention to my heart rate and kept it at 80% Stopping only to grab a drink at our stations we had set up. The Race Walker remarked that my pace had really improved and was very consistant. The leader of our group said she notice that I was also picking up the pace at the end very nicely and much faster than before.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I have been Mr. Lazy of late and paid for it this morning!! ITBS pain!! The down hill on hte rolling strech of the course this morning was absolute pain!! Scheduled 10 cut to 8.2. Once back out on the flats it go better but there is goingto be a lot of ice today

I had a lot of shin pain last week. I even made an appointment with my sports medicine doctor because I was *sure* it was a stress fracture. Sad Before the appointment today, I took a week off of running (more or less Blush), got a sports massage, soaked in Biofreeze and bought new running shoes. LOL! Leg is good as new and I was able to run my 5 mile race Saturday. When I explained to my doctor today why I had made the appointment in the first place he was *sure* it was a fracture. (He thinks I'm nuts to run so much even though he's a runner too. Tongue) I was like No! It's better. It's fine now. LOL! Just fix this sciatic pain. I'm freaking out about everything now. Twisting my ankle funny. A twinge here or there. I'm really worried about my big relay race on the 21st. It's all *hilly* and I have two big downhills on my legs. I keep thinking of all the bad things that could happen to my knees. Paranoia! Teresa
              I had a lot of shin pain last week. I even made an appointment with my sports medicine doctor because I was *sure* it was a stress fracture. Sad Before the appointment today, I took a week off of running (more or less Blush), got a sports massage, soaked in Biofreeze and bought new running shoes. LOL! Leg is good as new and I was able to run my 5 mile race Saturday. When I explained to my doctor today why I had made the appointment in the first place he was *sure* it was a fracture. (He thinks I'm nuts to run so much even though he's a runner too. Tongue) I was like No! It's better. It's fine now. LOL! Just fix this sciatic pain. I'm freaking out about everything now. Twisting my ankle funny. A twinge here or there. I'm really worried about my big relay race on the 21st. It's all *hilly* and I have two big downhills on my legs. I keep thinking of all the bad things that could happen to my knees. Paranoia! Teresa
              I understand that. I ddn't run a single mile last week and got turned around during our group training run on Sat because of ITBS. Once I got back on the flats (streets) I could live with the pain, but along the river paths with all the ups and downs was painfull! VERY painfull!! Then Monday I woke up with a raw throat! I have been living on Halls, Cold Ez and Nyquil ever since!! And we have a 12 miler scheduled for this Sat! NOT GOOD. I have a caugh but not bad so I am going to try at least a mile after work to night. Once the cold is gone or if my run tonight goes well, I am going to run at least 5k each day through to about May 2nd. I'll be ready!!!

I blew off my 13 mile run today. Blush Dh was hurt and not planning to run with the group and when the alarm went off this morning it was raining and sounded like hail or ice hitting the window, so I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. Roll eyes I'm gonna get it in this weekend. Dh and I thought we could run the 7 mile loop around our house twice. That way he can stop after the first lap and I can go on. Tomorrow's supposed to be warmer (and drier, I hope.) I need to get it in because I'll be missing the 13 miles next weekend because I'll be doing the Illinois River to River Relay and then the next week is 7 miles and then it's race day! I can't believe it's almost here. Smile Teresa
                  I know how you feel. I missed our 12 mile group run due to a really bad head cold! I think if the weather had been better I would have made the attempt. I have my Bib number, it is 2567. The numbers this year are based on when you registered and not your projected finish time. VERY VERY windy here today!!

I'm bib number 37478. Smile I intended to get 13 in yesterday but felt so lousy I cut it short at 9. My dd was sick with a lovely stomach bug all weekend. I think I was incubating it yesterday cause today I was so sick I couldn't even stand up. I ended up lying on the couch and watching Boston on the TV all morning. Smile Teresa
                      Head still a little stuffy but I ran 2 miles this afternoon and boy did it pump me up!!! I feel GREAT!!!! I found my pace right off and kept it there until the last half mile. I challenge anyone to maintain pace listening to Tenn. River by Alabama. Gave me a nice kick at the end!

Less than 2 weeks (12days) to go! Have not been running the miles I should thoguh. Ran 8 Sat at a snail's pace and BOTH knees protested at the end. The ITBS in my left knee started in at the river (lots of up and down on the path). My time is not going to be good.

Less than 2 weeks (12days) to go! Have not been running the miles I should thoguh. Ran 8 Sat at a snail's pace and BOTH knees protested at the end. The ITBS in my left knee started in at the river (lots of up and down on the path). My time is not going to be good.
                          Don't sweat the time! You will be running it this time instead of walking and once you get the ITBS behind you - you can worry about faster times. Good luck!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I know! I was just hoping for better than is going to happen. Already set my sights on next year! 2:30 is the goal next year!!!

6 days 14 hours!! I am a mess!! I tripped with .1 milesto go this morning. Road rash both knees both hands and over my left eye! Left eye is also going to be black. And I have a nice split across the bridge of my nose from my glasses. My Finishline pict Sat is not goingto be my best!! But my run this morning was still very nice with a nice time being I havenot run in a week AND the fall!! YEP Black eye left side!!! Going to tell people at work my wife beats me when they ask!!! NOT!!!

Gregg, I was wondering how I was going to recognize you at the race Saturday. Now you should be easy to pick out of a crowd. Wink Teresa