Half Marathon Trainers

October Training and Chatting (Read 430 times)

Is it REALLY already October?!?!?!?!

I hope everyone is doing well in training for fall races.  My training is going pretty well.  I am getting in 25 to 30 mpw, but only doing that in 4 days per week..........really should be adding a 5th day, though.  I had a great 12 miler this morning......best run I have had in the last two or three weeks.  Next race (last planned 2010 goal race) is in two weeks, so I am feeling pretty good.

Well, cheers! everyone..........wishing you all a happy and healthy October!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

October. Wow! I did a 10K this morning and, although I missed hitting a PR on it, I'm pretty happy with how it went. It was really windy (35 gusting to 54kph) and a cold wind. I think if it had been a bit less, I would've had more push. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Ran 10 miles this morning with a new acquaintance. It went pretty well..she was willing to run at my slow pace and on my flat route. We chatted the whole way, getting to know each other. She's faster, fitter, and eats hills for breakfast; so if this continues, maybe I will tooJoking

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Thanks for starting off the month for us, Sean!

I had a great run today, nicecool weather around 10 degrees C or low 50sF certainly helped.

10k warmup through rolling hills, then a 5k tempo, followed by 2k of walking and slow jogging to cool down. Just about 11 miles total in 1:32.

I havewritten off any chance of racing this fall as I am not ready, but hope to be in great shape by spring. Fingers crossed for a mild winter.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I basically had a complete week off last week after a shocking 5km experience and just weeks of rubbish feeling runs spiralling downward performance-wise at a rapid rate.  No matter what I did i got worse so just pulled the pin.

Ran about 4km of trails on fri for fun and an agonising 15km on saturday in a pathetically slow time.

However I jogged my 5km race last night in a comfortable 21:20. felt good. coulda run it again at that pace no problems. felt mentally fresh again and very relaxed.

So the building  of miles begins again tonight!!

Auckland Half is less than 4 weeks away

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Vino, it sounds as though you may have been overtraining, you do a lot of your miles at very fast pace?

Ran with run club tonight- 3kms warmup, 7x800m at 3:20 each, 3kms cooldown. Legs rubbery in the last quarter of the last 800, but otherwise no problems.

Hi there, looks like i will be sitting out the Hartford half marathon.  My last long run of 10+ miles I had terrible pain in both knees.  I've tried running short distances since then and after each run my knees feel awful.  I did 4 yesterday and had lots of pain while doing the last mile and then pain all night, even with advil.  They are still sore this morning.  Being that the race is in 5 days, I don't think I can go from 4 miles to 13 miles without inflicting some harm on myself. 

I'm bummed as I had many long runs this summer that I felt good.  There are more halfs though and am going to really take 1 full week off with no running and no impact (aerobics, dancing) and see if I can run 3 miles without this pain.

I'm going to get tested for Lyme disease (I live in CT) because ALL my joints are aching recently and this is not like me.  My elbows ache, neck aches and none of these make any sense.

Is anyone here racing in Hartford on Saturday, I'll be cheering as my spouse is running.

Sam 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Vino, it sounds as though you may have been overtraining, you do a lot of your miles at very fast pace?

Simon

My problems really began when I changed my training away from my usual, which was a few less miles, a little faster pace.  I moved to slower pace and more miles which just played havoc

I haven't the time now to over anaylise it.  All I know is my performace dropped and my happiness dropped. I have had a week of very light duties and now I am slowly increasing my miles and training more by feel as i used to.  Mentally I feel fresher and I am happier.  Whether my approach keeps me away from a time I am "capable" of I really don't care at this stage - I already have run my sub 1:40 goal.  I need to feel fresh, I need to feel happy and I need to feel confident

After the HM then I need to turn to some serious LT training to have a chance of hitting my sub 20min 5km goal by the end of the year. Next year I may set myself a 1:35 goal, or I may not.  That is for later.

I have a 10km race in just over a week too.  I dont think it is the course to run 42 minutes in, but I will see how close I can get.  The course has a congested narrow start and a nasty little pinch up a hill from a beach at about the 3.5km mark which I have trained on before and its isn't helpful in terms of speed!  Should be a fast race as plenty of prize money for the top 10.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Sam, sorry to hear that you're knees are bothering you and you're going to sit out the Hartford. Vino, sometimes we just burn out and need a little rest and down time. As for me. Well tomorrow morning I'm over to Cancun for 9 days. Calf is feeling pretty good and I feel like I could run on it, but I decided to just let it rest because I wasn't planning any running on vacation, so give it extra time to heal. Had a DRs appointment on Monday and she sent me to a new sports Therapist. Had a session with him. He pointed out some corrections in my stretching. Wants me to walk less for my warm ups and do more stretching and advices to ice pack both calves immeidately afterwards. Also instead of the massaging of the calves that my other therapist had me doing, he wants me to find a roller and roll the crap out of them to break up scar tissue and loosen and stretch them out. So everyone, with all of that said, I'm signing off and won't be back on until at least Sunday the 17th. Keep up the training and those who are racing Good luck to you. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Sorry to hear about the knee problem, Sam.

Vino, I think we must all respond differently and have different training needs- I need regular rest days, and long runs to build up my endurance.

Only you know what suits you best. Interesting that Larry also seems to be comfortable running at a higher average pace than I am.

Sean, good luck in your race, next weekend is it?

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well I put together a nicely paced relaxed 18km this morning. Even given it was pretty windy i was happy with some clever pacing basically neutral split with first half into the wind.  Still well off my fastest time for the distance but really cruised through the run in 1:27.  It has done a world for the confidence, I felt fresh and responsive even if the pace is still a shade off, it doesnt matter at the moment, i'm only training.  The indicators are all heading in the right direction.

I now have an issue.  Next Sunday is a 10km race but that confilcts with planned last long run so i just gotta sort out how i am gonna tackle the last 3 weeks.  Im gonna run the 10km at a steady pace but i'm not gonna bury myself for a good time.

Keep trucking folks

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ran with run club tonight- 3kms warmup, 7x800m at 3:20 each, 3kms cooldown. Legs rubbery in the last quarter of the last 800, but otherwise no problems.

nice pace for 800's...thats the pace i run for 400's when training and that buggers me enough......I need to improve.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Thanks, Vino.

I am gradually getting my mileage up, I hope to reach 250kms or 150 miles this month and 300 plus by December, and to get in a few longer runs before the snow flies.

My emphasis now needs to be on increasing easy miles to build my endurance.

How is everyone elsedoing- let us know about your goals and how your training is working.

an amazing likeness

Thanks, Vino.

I am gradually getting my mileage up, I hope to reach 250kms or 150 miles this month and 300 plus by December, and to get in a few longer runs before the snow flies.

My emphasis now needs to be on increasing easy miles to build my endurance.

How is everyone elsedoing- let us know about your goals and how your training is working.

300 KM or 300 miles ? 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Sorry, kilometres! I know some people can do 300 miles in a month- definitely not me!

Tough, windy run today, under 11 miles. Better weather4 due Sunday for the long run and I am working tomorrow so will take a break.

Only 4 runs this week, I need to try to do 5 days consistently.