Half Marathon Trainers

2010 Goals (Read 963 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

1.  No injuries!

2.  Run 2,000K (1,243 miles).

3.  Run Beach to Beacon 10K

4.  Run HM in Las Vegas on December 5 (with other women from the Ladies Locker Room on RA!!!).  I'm really excited about that one.  DH is going to come with me.  I'll get to meet all these amazing women!

1) Run atleast 150 miles every month.

2) Run 2000 miles for the year.

3) Get the half below 1:40.  This is a very aggressive goal as it's about 12 minutes from my current PR.  I took off about 7 minutes in 2008 and 8 minutes last year, so how come I expect to take off another 12 minutes.  We'll see.

Hi Shashi, Took a look at your log and you seem to have a good mileage base.  So besides running 150 miles a month, what do you plan to do to improve to knock another 12 minutes off your PR?

I see that you did a 4M in 7:02 pace, so you've shown you've got some speed and can endure for 4M.

Roughly calculating in my head, in order to hit 2000 Miles for the year, you've got to average 166+ Miles per month

Larry

1) Run atleast 150 miles every month.

2) Run 2000 miles for the year.

3) Get the half below 1:40.  This is a very aggressive goal as it's about 12 minutes from my current PR.  I took off about 7 minutes in 2008 and 8 minutes last year, so how come I expect to take off another 12 minutes.  We'll see.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

What about DS and DD?

4.  Run HM in Las Vegas on December 5 (with other women from the Ladies Locker Room on RA!!!).  I'm really excited about that one.  DH is going to come with me.  I'll get to meet all these amazing women!

LPH

Larry, thanks for taking the time to analyze my log.

Like I said that 12 minute PR is going to be tough, but I feel it's kind of doable.  Like you said I feel that I have the speed but no endurance.  I tend to slow down by 30 sec/mile in the later portions of my half marathon even if I hold back at the start.  (that 7:02/mile was falling off a big mountain, 800 feet elevation loss over the 4 miles, I did not run it all out,  as that was the first of my 3 runs in a relay, so that doesn't tell me much)

I didn't do a lot or runs over 10 miles last year, and when I did a few of those, I got a 4+ minute PR in a month's time.  So the planned 12-15 mile weekend runs should improve my endurance.  Other that that, the plan is to build miles over the winter/spring, hoping to hit 1000 miles by June, maybe run a marathon in July, then run a bunch of short 5K - 10K races over the summer, to build some speed,  increase miles back again once it gets cooler, and then see what happens at the Thunder Road again in December.  So a 12 month plan, hoping a minute improvement/month over 13 miles.  I know that's not how it works,  just my way of looking at what needs to be done.

All this has a big caveat, that I stay healthy, which thankfully has not been a problem for me so far.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

ok, time for my goals.

1. Run injury free
              2. Run 300 hours (5-7/week)
              3. Run 1000 mi
              4. HM pb 2:45 target
              5. will take any other pb that comes my way!
              6. Continue low heart rate training approach - because I am liking it so much
              7. Continue experimenting with barefoot running - as way to improve gait and strengthen legs.
              May not seem aggressive but that I only ran 744 mi in 2009 and ran first hm I don't think its bad for a 63yo fart.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Well, I don't pretend to be the expert, but sounds like a fairly reasonable plan, providing like you said, You stay healthy, that seems to be all of our downfalls. 

But your age and weight are certainly in your favor.  I sometimes wonder what I would have accomplished if I ran in high School etc.  I was sought after in high school to run CC and track because I always demonstrated an ability to run, but get this, "I thought running was boring"

I didn't do a lot or runs over 10 miles last year, and when I did a few of those, I got a 4+ minute PR in a month's time.  So the planned 12-15 mile weekend runs should improve my endurance.  Other that that, the plan is to build miles over the winter/spring, hoping to hit 1000 miles by June, maybe run a marathon in July, then run a bunch of short 5K - 10K races over the summer, to build some speed,  increase miles back again once it gets cooler, and then see what happens at the Thunder Road again in December.  So a 12 month plan, hoping a minute improvement/month over 13 miles.  I know that's not how it works,  just my way of looking at what needs to be done.

All this has a big caveat, that I stay healthy, which thankfully has not been a problem for me so far.

LPH

Bob, like I tell others, you make it out the door and put one foot in front of the other. That makes you a runner and an elite member of this group. 

We will support you if you run 500 miles or 5000 miles.  You are working for your health and hopefully for your enjoyment.  Keep it up and make sure to kicjk a few of us in the butt when we slack off.

Larry 

ok, time for my goals.

1. Run injury free
                  2. Run 300 hours (5-7/week)
                  3. Run 1000 mi
                  4. HM pb 2:45 target
                  5. will take any other pb that comes my way!
                  6. Continue low heart rate training approach - because I am liking it so much
                  7. Continue experimenting with barefoot running - as way to improve gait and strengthen legs.
                  May not seem aggressive but that I only ran 744 mi in 2009 and ran first hm I don't think its bad for a 63yo fart.

LPH

I would say I agree (again) with all that Larry says...Shashi I think a young guy like you (it's a relative thing, age!) can get that 1:40 time for the half.  As Larry says, you are running some good mileage, perhaps just need to get the right combination of good weather, a fast course, the right taper for you, and good pacing in ther race. You look slim and fit enough!

Bobev, I am really impressed with guys like you coming back from the heart problems you have had and getting fit enough to do something most guys 20 years younger cannot do!

Be proud of yourself, you are a great example to your family and friends and all of us.

Teresa, big mileage goal!  See you in the swamp!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon and Larry thanks for the encouragement.  I have a half sceduled in March and another in April.  Will adjust my expecations based on those races.  If I hit 1:49 in the March race and 1:47 in April I'd say I am on target. 

The only problem is I dont' have any flat/fast halfs around Charlotte, and travlling for an out of town race is not in the cards this year as I am planning a couple of overnight relays. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks Larry & SimonR! Its appreciated. At this point I am liking running and the fact that it helps improve my health and overcome family history & tendencies is a nice plus!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What about DS and DD?

There's a single friend at church who said she'd be glad to house and kid sit for us.  The kids will be 12 and 15 at the point, and they're pretty low-maintenance.  DH and I want a trip by ourselves!  We'll be celebrating kicking the oldest rugrat out of the nest, lol.

My goals for 2010:

1).  Increase mileage each week and month.  I'm not sure of the end goal because I want to do it safely and gradually.

2).  Run 4-5 half marathons this year.  Already ran ING Miami and signed up for 13.1 Miami Beach in March.

3).  Set a new PR in every 1/2 marathon I run this year.

4).  1/2 marathon goal is 1:29:59.

5).  5k goal is sub 19 min.