Half Marathon Trainers

July (Read 34 times)

an amazing likeness

Welcome to July, and the second half of 2013.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Yippie!

Happy Canada day too to my fellow Canucks.

The last two weeks haven't been so great for me and running but I had a great set of intervals today Smile I think I got my *whatever the hell you call it when you're out of your doldrums" back.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Cheers back to you, Lisa, and any other Canucks in the half group! Smile

I'm hoping that tomorrow (first run in July) is that same out-of-the-doldrums run, Lisa. I'm struggling with a sudden heat wave here that is mucking with my runs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I ran on Sunday for the last day of June, but got busy with family stuff on Canada Day, though I did wear my race shirt from the Barrie Canada Day race a few years back.

Happy trails!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

My miles have been getting a little better ever so slowly. My longest run has been 5.3 miles since my knee issue. The knee seems okay, but I'm still struggling with PF. I'm hoping to keep going with lots of rolling the ole golf ball and frozen water bottle. Registration opened for the November half that I'm going to run, cost is $26 dollars! Anyone lik to come to Alabama.

Keep it going Mitch! That's a bargain entry fee.

I am enjoying watching the Tour de France- any other cycling fans?

Zelanie

Milktruck- Thanks for starting us off!

Redleaf- Glad you had a good set of intervals!

Meg- I think the worst of the heat just passed us today.  Hopefully the same is true for you up there!

Simon- I really enjoyed watching the Tour last year, but am only sort of casually watching so far this year.  It's hard to want to spend that much time sitting around.  We noticed this year and last that the announcers seem to have a special love for Cadel Evans, regardless of how his ride is going.  He can be coming off the back of the Peloton, and they'd be talking about how great he looks that day.  Have you noticed that?  It's sort of become a family joke.

Mitch- That race does sound like a bargain!  The one I'm looking at is $55 until 9/1.

Me-  My mileage is finally coming back to where I feel like I'm at least building my fitness back instead of losing it.  McConnell taping FTW!  I am hoping to get back up to 30 MPW in the next week or two and then hold there for a bit.  I feel like I could run a HM on that mileage, although I prefer more.  Then only when 30 MPW feels pretty normal will I try to bump up beyond that.

I am thinking more and more about a mid-October HM.   I won't have time to put in the kind of training I did for my first one, but if I can have a solid base under me by then, I'm pretty sure I can enjoy it, and a PR isn't even out of the question.

an amazing likeness

Me-  My mileage is finally coming back to where I feel like I'm at least building my fitness back instead of losing it.  McConnell taping FTW!  I am hoping to get back up to 30 MPW in the next week or two and then hold there for a bit.  I feel like I could run a HM on that mileage, although I prefer more.  Then only when 30 MPW feels pretty normal will I try to bump up beyond that.

I am thinking more and more about a mid-October HM.   I won't have time to put in the kind of training I did for my first one, but if I can have a solid base under me by then, I'm pretty sure I can enjoy it, and a PR isn't even out of the question.

Good to hear that you've got the knee feeling better, Zelanie.  I think your idea of getting into a rhythm of steady 30 +/- mile weeks for August and Sept is a good approach.  Starting last Oct, you pushed your mileage up each month for 5 months to your PR attempt in April. (monthly miles of 100, 110, 125, 125, 160, 200...) -- that's a lot of constant upward load. The running coaches would call that a 'weak foundation'.

Now that you're feeling better, a few months of steady miles (probably in the 120-ish range) will really help build your foundation and make an Oct half a lot less effort than your April race. Also with that type of base, you'd be in good shape to stack Oct and Nov half, should you want to.

an amazing likeness

My miles have been getting a little better ever so slowly. My longest run has been 5.3 miles since my knee issue. The knee seems okay, but I'm still struggling with PF. I'm hoping to keep going with lots of rolling the ole golf ball and frozen water bottle. Registration opened for the November half that I'm going to run, cost is $26 dollars! Anyone lik to come to Alabama.

The race may only cost $26....but the trip to Alabama would be a hit, just in BBQ alone.   Good luck on the PF, Mitch --  I've only dealt with a small battle with it once, and everything I've read here on RA to tackle it was about how everyone's solution is unique.  For me, it was icing after every run, lots of massage in the AM, and curling towel with my toes.  I also did a shoe change to a more flexible shoe -- but that was not related to the PF, but I think it helped.

Simon -- once the TDF started being shown in HD a few years ago, I was hooked -- just for the chopper shots and trying to learn the complicated rules and traditions of cycling.  I take in the day's 2 hour summary most nights after my wife has headed off the bed; by the end of the month, I'm tired.

Zelanie

Thanks for the feedback, MT, your advice has been spot on in the past.  I will try to remember in a month or so when I'm feeling good and wanting to keep pushing upwards on the mileage.

redleaf

Late run today but I gt it in Smile speedy too (for me anyway) y'all are a great inspiration for me so thank you!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Redleaf, not sure how much I've done, but you're welcome. I think that MT is one of the cores that hold this group together.

I did a 7 mile run this morning in light rain, it started pouring just as we were finishing up. This is my longest run since early May, so I'm glad that I had some company. There was a lady running with us this morning that has done several fulls, her best is around 4:10, and she is doing MCM this year, I think that is really cool. Maybe I can run it some day, but that will depend on My experience of the first full.

HappyFeat

Moved Saturday's LR to today since DH is off for the holiday too. We drove to a nearby scenic bike trail where he could have a great bike ride and I could do my LR.  This was one of those runs when I really wonder how I ever ran a 2-hour HM last Sept. There's no way I could even run an 11 mpm even pace today. Not meaning it was a bad run - it was perfectly fine - just unfathomable how I could manage any faster. Since one of my goals is to run another sub-2-hour HM, I have my work cut out for me in terms of tempo runs.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Late run today but I gt it in Smile speedy too (for me anyway) y'all are a great inspiration for me so thank you!

You know....you just ran a 5K in the middle of your last tempo workout that was over 1 minute faster than your 5K PR...ahem...go find a local yocal 5K and reset that PR. It will feel good and be a payoff for all this training focus.

As to inspiration...you're working harder than 95% of everyone else, good grief, we're not running the miles for you.  (insert some clappy icon thing here)

Ran with my son last night on beautiful trails by a stream in Rosedale, a very fancy older area in downtown Toronto. Really enjoyed ourselves, he was loosening up for a 50k trail race today, so DW and I were up at 5:00am to see him off. She is going up to crew and will send me text messages to let me know how it is going.

I have been letting things slide as far as training goes recently, and lost a bit of fitness- well done to those keeping up with training in the heat!