Half Marathon Trainers

new guy here (Read 324 times)

Hi everyone! I just signed up yesterday, figured I'd stop in and say hi. I'm 48 yrs old, started running when I did the 
    c25k program last February, kind of got obsessed with it, ran 5 5k's this past summer and did the Atlantic City Marathon 10k 
    last weekend. Told my wife I want to try the half marathon next year, plan on running at least 2 next summer. Just started 
    Jeff Galloway's half marathon plan, there is 2 plans I plan on doing both actually.
      Hi everyone! I just signed up yesterday, figured I'd stop in and say hi. I'm 48 yrs old, started running when I did the 
      c25k program last February, kind of got obsessed with it, ran 5 5k's this past summer and did the Atlantic City Marathon 10k 
      last weekend. Told my wife I want to try the half marathon next year, plan on running at least 2 next summer. Just started 
      Jeff Galloway's half marathon plan, there is 2 plans I plan on doing both actually.

Hi John

Welcome to the group - thanks for introducing yourself.

Good luck with the training plan, visit often and let us know how you are getting along. If you are comfotable with it, share you log and let the gang see what you are up to.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Welcome John, feel free to jump in and join the conversation anytime.

Tell us how your training is going.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hi there!  I'm new here too - signed up for RA the other day and decided to get involved in the discussion since I'm hoping to run my first half in March.

A little bit about me: I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school who's still waiting to hear back from colleges.  I started running for real in the spring just to stay in shape, but my friends convinced me to try cross country this year so I trained through the summer and ran my first season this fall as a senior.  I absolutely loved it, and wish I could've started earlier.

Anyway, now I'm trying to get into longer distances.  I ran a Jingle Bell 8k earlier this month (hence the picture), and have been following Matt Fitzgerald's Intermediate half training plan so far.  I'm currently running about 27 miles a week but hope to work up to around 35 before my half.  I'm thinking of targeting the Rock&Roll D.C. one as my first, since I live in northern VA and it seems like it would be a cool event.

Look forward to reading more and contributing!  Cheers.

- Alex

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Hi Alex

Welcome to the group! Good luck with the college applications.

On the running front, it looks like you are off to a great start. Just a reminder to take it easy! As wiser folks than I round here say; "run often, sometimes fast, mostly slow"! or something like that. If you are running 30 miles a week, most of those miles should be at an easy pace; You should be able to run and hold a conversation. Get that down and the rest of your transition to longer distances will take care of itself as you log those miles.

I ran the National Half last year when it was the "Suntrust National Marathon & Half marathon" It was an awesome race and is my current HM PR. This was before competitor turned it into a RnR event! Assuming they do not bugger about with things too much you should have a great race. Leave early - DC traffic is a nightmare, but I guess you know that.

Hang around and keep us all in the loop with how your training is going.

Cheers

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Thanks for the encouragement!  The Kenyans (I think) have a saying which I believe is particularly fitting: "Americans run too fast, and race too slow."  I'm definitely taking my easy runs at a comfortable pace and besides being a bit sore everything seems to be going alright so far.  While in school I tend to do about 2 days of speedwork/intervals a week with the winter track team, which makes it a bit harder to hit 30 miles per week but I'll see how I do.  Over break the only speedwork I've been doing has been fartleks and short bursts at the end of progression runs.

Awesome to hear you enjoyed the event!  I've heard Competitor makes these things into a pretty big deal so I'm hoping it will be an exciting way to do my first.  I'll definitely get there early, and let you know how training's going.  It's nice to have a broader support group to discuss things with along the way.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles