Half Marathon Trainers

new runner, lazy runner (Read 675 times)

running with brute force

hi, i'm new here.

i'm currently training for my first half marathon, in 7 weeks.

i know i can run it easy, but i really suck at training.

if i sit down before running, after work, i'm stuck on the couch. the most i have ever run is 10k.

can anyone give pointers for motavation?

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

- June 25th 2011 - Warrior Dash

- Aug 7th 2011 RnR Providence

an amazing likeness

Just do something every day, and it will become habit.  One trick is to change into your running wardrobe first thing when you get home, so if you do land on the couch, you feel foolish for sitting there all dressed for the run, and not doing it.

The hardest step if each training run is the first one out the door.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

running with brute force

Just do something every day, and it will become habit.  One trick is to change into your running wardrobe first thing when you get home, so if you do land on the couch, you feel foolish for sitting there all dressed for the run, and not doing it.

The hardest step if each training run is the first one out the door.

that's very true. i've noticed that if i do change right away, i'm usually running in a few minutes..

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

welcome sudobeer!!

running with brute force

welcome sudobeer!!

thanks!! just trying out the place. my wife is a member of the llr, and i am just trying to find a good place

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

Oh - who is your wife? (I'm an LLRer too)

Welcome, Sud!

I have the same problem with motivation that you describe- I usually try to guilt myself into running.

What`s llr, by the way.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

running with brute force

Welcome, Sud!

I have the same problem with motivation that you describe- I usually try to guilt myself into running.

What`s llr, by the way.

llr is the main and massive ladies forum here.

i guess i should introduce myself.

my name is eddie, and i live in rhode island. i'll be 34 in june, and in 7 weeks, i'll be running my first HM. i've done a handful of 5k's, and one 10k. in december, my wife and i travelled to las vegas so she could run her first HM. it looked like fun, so just last month, we both signed up for the cox HM.

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

running with brute force

Oh - who is your wife? (I'm an LLRer too)

oh! hi, her name is crsytal, i think her user name is onomonapea (i know i spelt that wrong!

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

Cool Smile great to have you on board.  

running with brute force

Cool Smile great to have you on board.  

thanks, hope i found a good home hereSmile

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

Hi Eddie - welcome aboard!

MilkTruck is right in that the first step (out the door) is the hardest!

In the end, unless the missus is going to phyiscally do it, you are the only one who can kick yourself out there! Smile

Don't know if any of these would help:

• Are you following a training plan? If you wrote down your plan in advance would you be more likely to stick to it?
                          • Set (weekly) goals? Run X times in a week, or Y miles in a week? Then specifically reward yourself (with beer or other favorite) when you meet that goal?
                          • Join an annual distance group and chase the bunny. There are groups for 365 (mile a day), 500, 621 (1000km), 800, 1000, 1243 (2000km) , 1367 (marathon a week), 1500, 2000 and probably more. You'd have to put your miles in to RA from Jan 1 for this to work this year.

Good luck and welcome again!

2017 Goals
                          1) Run more than 231 miles
                          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Greetings and welcome aboard!

I know where you are coming from.  If I stop at home before I go for a run, the chances of it happening go down to about .00003%.  I'm fortunate that my schedule allows me to run after work and before I get home.  In the winter (I'm in Michigan and don't run outside between December and April) when I'm on the treadmill in the basement, after work I take my coat off, walk right to my closet, put my running gear on and go downstairs.

It does get easier after a time, but it hasn't gotten 'easy' for me.  Lurking on the boards here, keeping a log, having a training plan and goal race will help as well (at least it does for me).

One thing I wished I would have done before training for my first HM was take some pictures of myself.  Instant motivation.

To me, you've taken the first step, and asked for advice!

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Lurking on the boards here, keeping a log, having a training plan and goal race will help as well (at least it does for me).

One thing I wished I would have done before training for my first HM was take some pictures of myself.  Instant motivation.

+1! 

running with brute force

Hi Eddie - welcome aboard!

MilkTruck is right in that the first step (out the door) is the hardest!

In the end, unless the missus is going to phyiscally do it, you are the only one who can kick yourself out there! Smile

Don't know if any of these would help:

• Are you following a training plan? If you wrote down your plan in advance would you be more likely to stick to it?
                                • Set (weekly) goals? Run X times in a week, or Y miles in a week? Then specifically reward yourself (with beer or other favorite) when you meet that goal?
                                • Join an annual distance group and chase the bunny. There are groups for 365 (mile a day), 500, 621 (1000km), 800, 1000, 1243 (2000km) , 1367 (marathon a week), 1500, 2000 and probably more. You'd have to put your miles in to RA from Jan 1 for this to work this year.

Good luck and welcome again!

yeah i'm gonna  have to start doing that.

thanks for the idea's!

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM