Half Marathon Trainers

First Half Marathon in September 2012 (Read 610 times)

Hi,

Started running last August to lose some weight, now planning a half marathon in September this year (Great North Run - Newcastle UK). No real schedule at the moment just trying to get some sort of base work to any training I might undertake nearer the time.

Not sure if i'm being realistic or not but have sent myself a target of 1:50 for my first half marathon - might be pushing it a little but we will see Smile

Also have another two half marathons planned and should finally finish in the Berlin Marathon in October 2013 - glutton for punishment. 14 months from 100 meters to 26 miles.

Agenda:

Great North Run Newcastle UK, Sept 16 2012

Oxford Half Marathon, Oct 14 2012

Madrid Half Marathon, Apr 2013

Berlin Marathon, Sept 2013

any help gratefully accepted or encouragement

Thanks,

Alan

Alan

2012 Targets:

1:30hrs Continuous running

17.5km in 1:30hr

Half Marathon < 1:50 (PB 1:50:35 - 26/08/12 Pewsey)

10k < 50mins (PB 45:09 - 15/07/12 West Tytherley 10k)

5k < 24mins (PB 22:08 - 16/06/12 Andover Park Run 5km)

Average Weekly Pace < 8min/mile (Current Best 8:02)

HappyFeat

Welcome!  If you would share your log, it would be easier to provide input on your training.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Think that's now shared

Alan

2012 Targets:

vegefrog

Welcome!

Glancing at your log, I would say if you don't get injured and nothing major happens between now and September to impact your running...you could do a 1:50 in your sleep. Your running paces are about a minute faster then mine and I just ran a 1:52:01. Your mileage for March and April  is great and if you keep it up or even add a few miles you will be in GREAT shape come race day.

This is a great little group to get training advice and positive reinforcements for racing and training. Glad to have you! Smile

Thanks for that Vegefrog, I must have read your mind as I've already bumped up the mileage slightly yesterday with my first 10m - also fairly happy with the progress being made. Had a good luck at your training log also very impressive to see the difference between your training and race paces - however is that generally the case as I can't see my pace being that different, happy if that is the case though Smile

Alan

2012 Targets:

the difference between your training and race paces - however is that generally the case as I can't see my pace being that different, happy if that is the case though Smile

For newer runners it is often not the case, as newer runners tend to run all of their runs too fast…which leads to not being able to run as much…which leads to not getting faster, etc. Or, for some just starting out, every day has to be easy – the base isn’t there to start introducing speed.

You’ll hear it ad nauseam from runners far more informed than I am, that you need to run your easy days easy enough so that you can run your hard days hard. I still run a lot of my “easy” days way too hard, and it limits my development, even as I know I’m doing it, hard to stop.

So you’ll either have to 1) be patient, as you build more mileage, you’ll be able to start introducing “fast” days. (I know your log has some “tempo” days, but I’m not sure how you’re interpreting the word), or 2) start taking your easy days easier, so that the fast days you’re doing now, you can do faster - or faster for a longer period of time/distance).

Another thing that will start to naturally build the gap on your race times and pace times is the weight.  As that comes down, things just get easier all around. I know. Little known RA fact: I was 206 in March 2010. 157 now. Now is much faster than March ’10.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                Thanks for that I probably am running too fast on my easy days even though I'm making a conscious effort to take these easy on these runs - I only tend to push a little towards the end and on hills to keep the pace balanced. I initially also took up these activities to lose weight and have lost around 70 of your llbs, and agree this has had a positive impact, would still like to lose another 15 or so, but not too worried any more how long that takes. More interested in keeping fit now - well done on your efforts also. I have been doing some interval or tempo runs in to my program although haven't for a couple of weeks due to the weather and race commitments. Good luck keep it up

Alan

2012 Targets:

an amazing likeness

From your log, it looks like you're making progress in easing the pace on your longer runs.  Keep pushing yourself on that.

(I posted this next bit in another reply recently, but it seems to apply to what I see in your workouts as well, so a bit of a repeat...)

My thoughts on preparing to run a half marathon (or any event, I suppose) are fairly simple…there are two training components or goals: first is doing the training necessary to have the base level of fitness to be able to run the distance;  second is layering training on top of that training geared to running the distance faster.

Yeah that is probably (1) obvious…and (2) overly simplified.   In fact, most of the experienced runners here on RunningAhead are quick to say that there is no separation of the two…they repeat the mantra “…to run faster, run more…”.  And to run more, you have run lots of your miles easy.

With that in mind, I approach half marathon prep as a long cycle of putting down the base miles (easy and longer runs), and then only a small percentage of time on trying to learn to run faster (tempo and intervals). 

You need to be certain that you are keeping the two types of initiatives - base building (endurance) vs harder (run faster) --- separate and in balance. If you're like most, your body can absorb more of the endurance work than it can the harder work.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Thanks for that Vegefrog, I must have read your mind as I've already bumped up the mileage slightly yesterday with my first 10m - also fairly happy with the progress being made. Had a good luck at your training log also very impressive to see the difference between your training and race paces - however is that generally the case as I can't see my pace being that different, happy if that is the case though Smile

When I first started running again in September I found this site and read through all the forums. The thing I saw repeated over and over was to run EASY runs EASY. So...that's what I did. It felt wierd, like if I run this slow how am I going to get faster? I found that I was able to add miles and train for a marathon with no injuries. Along with that came naturally faster racing paces. I have kept up with that theory and now I add a speed work or a race once a week and one long run, all other runs are EASY. It's working for me!!

By easy I mean, I could talk (and do) to a running buddy, myself, or people passing on the trail.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to slow your easy runs down and focus on one or 2 "quality" workouts a week. It should allow you to continue to add miles and stay healthy Smile

Good weeks training shaved another 10 seconds of my best weekly mile average, and plan to finish the week with a 10k race tomorrow morning - if I don't feel to bad after this evenings meal and drinks Smile

Alan

2012 Targets:

an amazing likeness

Alan -- after looking through your log to the point where you started logging in Sept 2011, were I consulting/advising/coaching you...my advise would be to focus on running steady miles to build more base. You've got a good run of 30 mile weeks going, but only since March. Let the pace be what it is for the week -- that is a number you should not pay attention to, in summary or in each day's run.

Good luck at the 10K tomorrow...give'r hell. If you run it at ~90% effort and aim for even splits (and achieve them with no fade) the whole way, you'll have a good test of your 1/2 marathon pace. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Any advice will be greatly received Mick, totally get the point about the pace, although to be fair I'm not focused on trying to reduce at the moment, it's just happening and it's indicating how I'm improving. Smile

10k went so much better than expected I was hoping to achieve something around 52-53mins, however knocked out 49:01 with fairly consistant pace markings - apart from one long hill stretch where it reduced a little.

Very good day and a very good week Big grin

Alan

2012 Targets:

Sorry I meant Andy and not Mick not sure where I got that from Blush

Alan

2012 Targets:

Alan-

I definitely get where you're coming from. There is a fine line between seeing one's average pace drop and trying to make it drop-as long as you're keeping your easy runs easy, I think you're fine.

I meant to respond to your original post but, well, I didn't. I think you've listened to what others here have said about running easy. In fact, you may have just had a labeling issue on your runs-in the past you've had weeks where the only runs you've done are tempo and long-either you're really beating yourself up or you've mislabeled those runs.

To answer your original question, I absolutely think you can run 1:50. And I'm very jealous of your race schedule! Maybe I'll see you in Berlin 2013.

Thanks for responding sorry to hear you think I haven't been listening, I do think there have been some labelling issues and understanding it all at the moment to be fair though Smile think I'm getting there though. Thanks for the vote of confidence although today's run also greatly enhanced that belief. If you end up going to Berlin you will have to let us know Smile

Alan

2012 Targets: