Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - October 2011 (Read 517 times)

an amazing likeness

Hope everyone's OK - it's all gone quiet! Smile

I'll assume it's beacuse everyone is training so hard! Nothing but miles to report from here - it's pretty vanilla right now.

Andy, how did the Marathon go?

[...maybe it's just me...but it seems like RA overall has veered a bit from its former running topic focus and gotten quieter lately, may just be a seasonal thing, but I suspect it aslo reflects a bit of flight to Facebook....]

Thanks for asking, Matt -- overall my Green Mountain Marathon did not got well at all. 

Felt great through 15 or 16 miles...right on pace and effort. I started making grand plans in my mind for a strong finish. Then faded a bit starting at 18-ish, not unexpected, so I backed off the effort to try and stay 'comfortable.  Then at 22 the wheels fell off and at 23 I started dealing with dry heaves and cramps in both legs and feet.  Ended up walking and lightly jogging the last 3 miles -- mainly walking, and missed my goal time by 9 or 10 minutes.  3:49:53 finish.  1:48:02 at the 13.1 mark, so 12 or so minutes slower in the second half, and most of that in the last 4 miles. Uggh!

I was (am) pretty disappointed.  On the other side of the ledger, I ran a marathon less than two years from being badly injured, completing a goal I had for myself.

If you want to see a textbook example of 'death march' finish, glance at my log for the splits.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Since my Sept. HM, I've been trying to settle back into my training plan; but other things keep messing it up. Still, I've managed 30 mpw for the last 3 weeks and am looking ahead to a trail race: "Spooky 12K" it's called. on October 30, about an hour away. I haven't done a trail run in about 6 years, so it ought to be interesting. I plan to take it slow and careful.  To prepare for the hills, I'm running my 10-mile rolling hills route every weekend. It's not trail, but it's got ups and downs; so it's better than nothin'.

MT, you have a lot to be proud of, coming back from your injuries to run a marathon! I'm sorry you didn't achieve the result you hoped for. From all the posts I've read, it certainly appears that marathoning is an unpredictable endeavor.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

HappyFeat, that sounds like a fun race coming up. We don't really have any trail runs here. Everything is road.

MT, you finished and that's huge considering those late struggles. I get the disappointment, but hopefully some time in the future, you'll be able to look at that race and take something away from it to use in another race. I think there's something to learn from every race, good or disappointing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the words of encouragement Meg and HappyFeat. I don't mean to be a downer here....I'm actually ok with the result, the disappointment is that my training didn't pay off, or my race day strategy lead to the problems, or something.

Every couple days I run by the intersection where my accident happened and am reminded how lucky it is that I'm even here logging runs. I haven't lost sight of my primary goal -- which was completing this marathon before the Oct 25th anniversary. Not to sound smug...however I'm very proud of myself over getting that done in a sub-4 marathon.

Every couple days I run by the intersection where my accident happened and am reminded how lucky it is that I'm even here logging runs. I haven't lost sight of my primary goal -- which was completing this marathon before the Oct 25th anniversary. Not to sound smug...however I'm very proud of myself over getting that done in a sub-4 marathon.

Andy, if I may be so bold - For those who maybe don't know the background or those who want to do some inspirational log stalking; Go take a read of Andy's log entries from 10/25/2009 and 11/11/2009 ... take a look at his logged workouts between then and now..... and then re-read his race comments from the top of this page. I know you missed your goal Andy but what a comeback! I think it's phenomenal.

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Andy, an inspirational effort and sub 4 hour by anyone on any day for the marathon is something to be proud of.

For a huge chunk of the population the marathon is beyond ability/motivation/desire. For only a few is it anywhere near easy.  The rest of us sit between the two hoping that the stars align and the marathon gods help us pass unscathed

I think a marathon truely of our individual capabilty perahsp takes a number of attempts until we get weather, fitness, health, strategy, left field uncontrollables and just feeling good on the day all to lining up where they "should" be

Having said that, i'm hoping it does on my first hehe Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Way to go Andy, seriously. I'm inspired. Your comeback makes all my little niggling pains quite laughable, so thanks!

I too, am running a trail run for the first time - the Squirrelly Six Mile in a lovely park not far from here on Oct 30th. It just sounded like fun and is in conjunction with the Hairy Gorilla Half. I'm just not ready to do another  half - yet. I am itching to do my second half - better! I seem to be gravitating to the dreadmill at the Y more often now that the dark is taking over, and lots of rain, and its so windy today. I have all the excuses! But I'll keep running and training. I really am motivated by signing up for something though. Hope everyone else is making the transition to winter running in good spirits.

an amazing likeness

For a huge chunk of the population the marathon is beyond ability/motivation/desire. For only a few is it anywhere near easy.  The rest of us sit between the two hoping that the stars align and the marathon gods help us pass unscathed

I think a marathon truely of our individual capabilty perahsp takes a number of attempts until we get weather, fitness, health, strategy, left field uncontrollables and just feeling good on the day all to lining up where they "should" be

Having said that, i'm hoping it does on my first hehe Big grin

Go Vino!  What's the Kiwi expression....something like 'hope your race day is sweet-as" ?

Hope you knock it out of the park (as we'd say).

an amazing likeness

Andy, if I may be so bold - For those who maybe don't know the background or those who want to do some inspirational log stalking; Go take a read of Andy's log entries from 10/25/2009 and 11/11/2009 ... take a look at his logged workouts between then and now..... and then re-read his race comments from the top of this page. I know you missed your goal Andy but what a comeback! I think it's phenomenal.

Thanks Matt.  And, thanks for everyone's shout-outs on this.  It's pretty humbling. Wish I could explain about some deeper meaning and motivation, but really there isn't all that much beyond just being stubborn and not really having any alternative plan other than taking it day by day and mile by mile.

It is nice to have a community here that understands what it takes to set running goals, train to make them, and both achieve them and sometimes come up short.  

Andy

HappyFeat

I too, am running a trail run for the first time - the Squirrelly Six Mile in a lovely park not far from here on Oct 30th. It just sounded like fun

Okay Lakerunner - we'll do them "together!"  Good luck with yours. I'm just planning on "running," not "racing." I think it will be a fun experience.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Flu is clearing, at least im feeling ok just a bit of a hacking cough still but I really dont think there is much crap in the lungs so i should be ok. ive managed to run tues, wed and fri. so if i run sat and sunday i wont be far off my milage target for the week. its all done now anyway.

First long term weather forecast isnt bad. looks like sunny/clouds with 15 knot winds from north east which means it will be a warm one and into the wind (but not dead into) between the 20 and 30km mark.

again i am practising going out slow. key to my success i am sure is taking the first 10km very easy. i need to be able to step it up in the 2nd half.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Here is the course. Start at Devonport, around over the harbour bridge into Auckland City, out to St Heliers and return to Auckland City.  The altitude graph is a bit misleading and as it is GPS it doesnt show the main climb which is the harbour bridge.  Hilly (a couple of steep pinches) and undulating for the first 16km then it is basically flat.  I have heard Auckland on average throws big positive splits as many feel they can burn their energy in the first half as it is flat on the second half.  Also apparently the % of sub 3 hour marathons achieved at Auckland is also very low because it is a course that is hard to pace correctly.

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Okay Lakerunner - we'll do them "together!"  Good luck with yours. I'm just planning on "running," not "racing." I think it will be a fun experience.

Same here. Looks like a fun run and since I truly dislike the 5K perhaps I'll enjoy the trails and trials of a 10K. Runners are encouraged to carry bananas to appease the gorillas and mad squirrels. I think this is a Halloween/Adventure fusion type deal. Have fun on the Spooky 12K Happyfeet!

Have fun with your races, everyone- and post race reports!

Training more consistently now, though still overall the worst since I started 5 years ago this month. I do feel that if I make an effort I can get fit by spring, we will see.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Vino - Congrats on the RWC win. Looks like a great course for this weekend coming. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

LR & HF - sounds like fun. May be looking at a trail race next year so will be interested in how you both get on. As Simon says, keep us updated!

Simon - From your log it looks like really great consistent ramp up. Keep up the good work.

Running blues here - nothing major, just the small stuff. Had a head cold all week (sore throat, headache, stuffy nose) that has made running a little miserable. I was supposed to run an 8M tempo run on Friday and 13 long on Saturday but ran 8 easy on Friday and 10 long on Saturday. My left knee has also been clicking (no pain) for the last week or so. Went to the docs and got diagnosed with v. mild IT Band Syndrome, need to do some strengthening exercises to stop it getting worse. on Saturday's run, tweaked my right knee, again nothing serious but it's sore today.

On the plus side I reached 1000 miles for the year this weekend - a huge milestone for me that I failed to meet in both '09 and '10... and tomorrow's the start of a new week, so I will be up and at 'em!

Hope everyone's October is finishing off OK?

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring