Half Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 1729 times)

Sounds like you had a great time!

you would be much faster without the top and beard....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Pandora- Great RR and happy comeback!  It sounds like we have similar goals for a 2014 HM- I wish you luck!

Thank you Zelanie!  Too bad you are on the opposite coast or we could go running together.  

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

Oh, and thank you Simon.  Maybe I'll subtract a minute from my time to account for the hat and beard.  That seems fair, right?

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

hog4life

Little bit long, so get a cup of coffee, hehe.

Rocket City Marathon

Date: Dec 14, 2013

Where: Huntsville, Alabama

The short version: I crossed the finish line and had a lot of fun. The stats are not even worth mentioning (at least to me).

This was my debut full, I’m still considering this as a “one and done”, but I’m not sure I want it to end like this. I know that I can do way better with a proper training cycle. There was a whole bunch of stuff that made this difficult. These are not excuses, well, okay; maybe some of them are, but mostly just a bunch of things leading into this day. This race had been on my radar since last year, and then a little bug called cancer set me back, so I had to wait for 2013. I have recovered well, so thought this might be the time. I had chosen the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 plan as my choice for the full, but also had a couple of halves planned that I wanted to use the Ryan Hall 10 week plan. So there was some overlapping, mixing and matching, swapping around to make things work. At least that was my plan. I was to start on Aug 11th. But, somewhere during the first part of May, the dreaded PF struck. And it struck with a vengeance! As I struggled through the summer just to get miles in, I was hoping that I could pull off this full since I had already registered. Here is a snapshot of my monthly mileage for the year.

So I survived the summer of PF, and I started increasing my mileage back up. I was very reluctant to do any formal speed work at all, other than a few fartleks, and some short and rather easy tempo runs, the quality of my runs was lacking. I managed some decent LR’s along the way, but not where they should have been. My weekly miles were in the 30-35 range, with a few weeks in the 40’s, and a peak of 51. But I also had a few weeks of zero. I did a few races along the way, mostly just to test my fitness, or lack of, and here’s how they looked

8/24 - 7k, 38:10 for 8:47 pace

9/28 – 5k, 24:03 for 7:46 pace

10/12 – 15k, 1:20:27 for 8:40 pace

10/19 – 5k, 23:50 for 7:42 pace

10/26 – HM, 2:03:38 for 9:27 pace (this was a bad day, stomach issues, foot going numb)

11/2 – 10k, 52:14 for 8:26 pace

11/9 – HM, 1:56:05 for 8:52 pace (3.1 before race, and 3.1 after race)

On the first of Oct, I started working 12 hour swing shift, 5 days per week. By the middle of Nov, a 6th day was added, so now I’m working 72+ freaking hours a week trying to train for 26.2 miles. I work in a steel mill, wear steel toed boots, and am on my feet most of the 12 hour shift. There are no structured breaks, so you take them when you can. And if shit is hitting the fan, you don’t take a break. If we are not producing, I lose a bunch of money because we get paid a weekly incentive.

I hydrated like crazy for the 3-4 days preceding the race. I also took some electrolyte tabs from work for the entire week, and was taking these twice per day. On the day before the race, I ate a large bowl of rice, a banana, a bagel, Gatorade, and water. My wife and I then headed over to the expo, got my packet, seen a few of my running friends, bought a bunch of new running clothes. I can’t remember the name of the company, but he was from out of town. Everything was $9.99! Shorts, shirts, tanks, vests, pants, leggings, socks, bras, jackets, pullovers, you had to get there early though. I was hoping to get some new shoes, but there was not a size 9.5 in the building. Then we went out to eat for a chicken sandwich and some fries, maybe not the best, but it was good. Later that night, I had more rice, and some pasta and bread, with more Gatorade, and water.

Race day started at 5:00 am, I got up for a banana, and a bagel with Nutella, some more Gatorade and water. On the drive over, I had a half of a power bar, another Gatorade, and water. There were 10 of my friends also doing this race, along with 2 of my grandsons doing the kids marathon. We gathered up for some pre race photos, and then parted ways for our respective corrals. I had posted a thread a few weeks back about my goal pace; I had about decide on a 4:10 goal for 9:33 pace (based on race times above). But after some reassurance from LTH, Damaris, and others, I knew it was in my best interest to try for a 4:25, or 10:07 pace. I started just ahead of the 4:25 pacer, but could look back and see them periodically. I’m not going to post all my splits; rather I’ll just mention a few different numbers along the way.

The weather was calling for 38 degrees with 100% chance of rain. I was really starting to dread this (I raced in 42 degrees and rain/wind earlier in the year, it sucked). But the weather changed, it was still in the high 30’s, but the rain stopped during the night, and we just had a little drizzle here and there with heavy clouds all day. I took GU, Powerade, or water at every aid station, and even ate a Power bar along the way.

Miles 1-8; splits here were 9:35-9:55 and I was having a blast. This pic was from mile 7, as I was being a goof.

Miles 9-12; splits from 10:00-11:20. This is where things really changed for me. I don’t think I went out too fast, I just had a really weak last few weeks going into this run, and my knees just wouldn’t take it. I started a run/walk somewhere in here as you can see from my splits.

I crossed the Half at 2:14, and I thought okay, just rinse and repeat. NOT!

I became really mad at myself for a bit, and was quite disappointed that my knees were already saying quit. I wanted that 4:20 ish badly, and in all reality, I probably could have gotten it, if the cards fell my way with training. I know that I will get it next time! I had 3 bracelets on today, Team TJ, Running For Jenny, and Colon Cancer Awareness. As these miles became more painful, I just kept looking at my arm, and thinking that there was no way that I was quitting. This is when I really started feeling good, not to run mind you, but feeling good that I am still able to try this. There are so many people that will never experience this, but I have!

Miles 14-20; I was still trying to do a run/walk, but it was almost more walking than running. And each time I tried to run, my knees would scream WTF. So from here to the finish, I walked. Is this a death march? I don’t know, but while walking, I wasn’t in pain. I was laughing and talking to everyone. All the pacers ended up passing me, and the 5:25’s, assured me that I would make the 6 hour cutoff.

Summary

The bad----not enough weekly miles, too many work hours, maybe some traces of the PF, no speed work, too many races leading into this full, need to pick the goal race(s) and stick to the plan,

The good----not injured (before, during, or after) the race, never felt weak or dehydrated, had plenty of fuel, only one small cramp when I bent over to retie my shoes, had fun, my wife, son, and grandkids were there to see me finish, and most of all, I have absolutely no regrets on this outcome.

I have 2 halves already scheduled for 2014, but have yet to think of, or plan for a full. I almost think that I want to try to get my mileage up in the low 40’s and hold, then if work slows down, go for it. Only problem with that is we never know when things will change. Here’s a few pics, don’t bash me, I am buying them.

This is my youngest son, ya think he looks like me? haha

See that smile? That is real, I'm glad it's over!

Purple shirt grandson, he has asthma too

Pink shirt grandson

Pre race with with all my running friends

5:00 am before we left to the race

Here's one at mile 24 where I tried to run, but the ole knees said hell no. I looked at the photographer and said "you know that's a fake run, right?" Then I just busted up laughing and thanked him for taking my pic.

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

FANTASTIC race report, Mitch.  You've given me some inspiration and a new goal for every race I run -- no matter what happens, I'll remember to make the best of it and enjoy myself.  So thank you!  You look so happy in all your photos -- and how great to have so much family with you at your race. (Yes, your son looks just like you!)  And while I know it's hard to fit your running in around your crazy work schedule, I'm absolutely impressed that you do what you can, which is quite a lot, and that you keep it up.  I'm self-employed and even with the flexibility in my schedule, it is a challenge to fit my runs in.  No more excuses for me, I guess.

Congratulations and best to you!

redleaf

Okay race report number 1:

I'll be honest and say I was a little nervous about this whole thing. And really it's still not over...eek

I've run several halfs before, and was always okay the next day (except in St Louis but I was so sick in St Louis) so I figured I could probably do it but I want to do it strong so I still have that in the back of my head. After I thought I could do it and Toby said he'd come with and my parents said they'd take care of Q I registered and we booked flights, hotels etc. Toby thought it'd be nice to add on a few days in Vegas so we head there on the 2nd.

Then there was the whole "run at least a mile every day" in December. WTF why did I think I could do both? Well apparently I could. Three of my highest mileage/kilometreage weeks ever. My taper week involved a lot of slow 2 km runs on the treadmill. And one 8.75 km fast run in Cape Cod on December 28. There were slightly intoxicated runs (11 pm on December 24) there were some early runs and some right before / after flights.

I mentioned what I was doing in a "healthy" subgroup of my online mommies group. One of them, Michelle, also a runner, said if I needed her to she'd pick up my stuff for me. Then she figured if she was going to packet pick up anyway she should at least run one of the days. Then she saw the medals - you get one for the eve race, one for the day race and if you do both you get a plate to put them both on. It's crazy. And she was hooked and signed up for both too.

We landed in Dallas Fort Worth airport at 4:30 pm. By the time we got through customs, waited out a blocked luggage carousel, missed a shuttle to the car rental place by seconds, got lost on the way out etc, we didn't actually leave the airport until 6:30. So happy Michelle picked up my stuff for me on the weekend. She, her husband and two kids (G is the same age as Q and she has a 16 month old daughter) are staying in the same hotel. We met for dinner last night (Grimaldi's - in ALLEN TX! was packed so we went for tex-mex which might have led to my potty predicament in the race but man was it good) and then we met in the lobby this morning. I drove out in our rental car. We walked around a bit and then I went off to the half fanatic pic and she went off to the bathroom (she was starting in a quicker corral than me).

Got out of the bathroom line in just enough time to get the garmin going and earphone in before it was time to go.

Cold at the start but after the first two miles I wrapped my coat around my waist. I took my gloves off another mile in. Almost blindingly bright and sunny out. It was an out and back two loop course (or four for the marathoners).

I did the first mile in like 12 minutes. WAY fast for me. I bounced around a lot if you look at my garmin breakdown. It's all in kms though so it might be a bit confusing for you except to note that it bounced around a lot.

TMI TO FOLLOW - skip this para if you like: the 15th run (I do 10:1s remember?) was the potty break. I had to go. Like HAD TO. I was almost at the half way point which meant that if I could make it to there then I'd have actual park bathrooms as opposed to a porta-potty. So I waited. And because I waited I had a hard time going when I was there. So what I was hoping would be a quick 2-3 minutes dragged to almost 5. Sigh.

BUT I still managed to catch up and pass some people after that (that I had already passed earlier) and make up a bit of time I think. I waited around for about 30 minutes for the official time to be posted. 2:41:00  (although it was posted at the site as 2:40:59) My PR from September was 2:46:39 so a 5 minute and 39 second PR Smile

And another run tomorrow! The report will be much shorter I promise.

A fellow runner takes loads of pictures and video with one of those little go-cameras. Here's one of me Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Congrats on the PR.

Hmm, the HF double double. I want to do one of these!

Cyberic

Nice! Very nice!

redleaf

Thanks guys!

RR #2 - as foretold - much much shorter:

Windy windy windy. So it felt colder. Legs felt like lead about half way through. And my right ankle started hurting.  Switched to 7:1s (instead of 10:1s) but I ran through the first rest. There was a lot of "you can do anything for two more minutes" on the course. As well as a lot of "just go" near the end. And nothing but "you can do anything for 5 minutes", when there was about 3/4 of a km left, "you can do anything for 3 minutes" etc.

I'm honestly a bit surprised I did so well - this would have been a PR but for the PR yesterday.

Officially - 13.1 miles (so 21.1 km for me) and 2:43:38

Garmin says: 2:43:40.85 - I don't think I've ever been as close time wise!
                      Garmin also says 21.45km

I'm not sure what to do next. Losing 30 pounds would help. My big goal race for the year will be the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in October. Ideally I'm cracking 2:30 for that...

HF #4362

hog4life

Thanks guys!

RR #2 - as foretold - much much shorter:

Windy windy windy. So it felt colder. Legs felt like lead about half way through. And my right ankle started hurting.  Switched to 7:1s (instead of 10:1s) but I ran through the first rest. There was a lot of "you can do anything for two more minutes" on the course. As well as a lot of "just go" near the end. And nothing but "you can do anything for 5 minutes", when there was about 3/4 of a km left, "you can do anything for 3 minutes" etc.

I'm honestly a bit surprised I did so well - this would have been a PR but for the PR yesterday.

Officially - 13.1 miles (so 21.1 km for me) and 2:43:38

Garmin says: 2:43:40.85 - I don't think I've ever been as close time wise!
                        Garmin also says 21.45km

I'm not sure what to do next. Losing 30 pounds would help. My big goal race for the year will be the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in October. Ideally I'm cracking 2:30 for that...

Nice job! I need to get me one of them back-to-backs, gotta up the moon count, ya know?

Great job Red - don't know if I could handle a double.

I did not run a half, but,  I had a great 5k run myself.  It was about 20F and a little wind but relatively flat course.  I didn't wear my watch and only held my phone so I would havea  time and distance measure - however, I never looked at it once while running.  There were no mile markers or timers on the course, at the beginning or the end and no D - tags- so we weren't even sure where they started timing us from.  I just wanted to start so i could warm up.  Started off slower (I thought) and just let people pass me.  I decided I didn't care because this was for me.  I wanted to try to run by how I felt and my breathing and I think I did okay.

There was probably a field of about 400 runners/walkers.  Somer very serious elite runners and then most like me.  I just stayed focused on me and started passing people as I went, so I figured I couldn't have been going that slow.  Before the race started we were waiting inside the gym at the YMCA and I saw a firefighter in full gear including his oxygen tank.  He was running the race.  I saw him in the distance at about mile 2 and decided my goal was to catch up to him.  I did and even passed him in the last 1/2 mile.  I felt bad and decided I couldn't pass him with all that gear so I slowed up a bit and stayed with him and let him cross the finish line first.  It only seemed right.

All in I have to say I was very pleased when I looked at my time and saw 3.18miles 30:57 with an average 9:44/mi.  Way to start the new year. They did post times and according to them I was 30:59 avge 9:54 pace for 3.1.... I will still take it.  I haven't felt this strong in a race in a long time.  could I hold it for 13.1 miles not yet, but who knows what 2014 will bring.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Nice job Barb!

HF #4362

hog4life

Great job Red - don't know if I could handle a double.

I did not run a half, but,  I had a great 5k run myself.  It was about 20F and a little wind but relatively flat course.  I didn't wear my watch and only held my phone so I would havea  time and distance measure - however, I never looked at it once while running.  There were no mile markers or timers on the course, at the beginning or the end and no D - tags- so we weren't even sure where they started timing us from.  I just wanted to start so i could warm up.  Started off slower (I thought) and just let people pass me.  I decided I didn't care because this was for me.  I wanted to try to run by how I felt and my breathing and I think I did okay.

There was probably a field of about 400 runners/walkers.  Somer very serious elite runners and then most like me.  I just stayed focused on me and started passing people as I went, so I figured I couldn't have been going that slow.  Before the race started we were waiting inside the gym at the YMCA and I saw a firefighter in full gear including his oxygen tank.  He was running the race.  I saw him in the distance at about mile 2 and decided my goal was to catch up to him.  I did and even passed him in the last 1/2 mile.  I felt bad and decided I couldn't pass him with all that gear so I slowed up a bit and stayed with him and let him cross the finish line first.  It only seemed right.

All in I have to say I was very pleased when I looked at my time and saw 3.18miles 30:57 with an average 9:44/mi.  Way to start the new year. They did post times and according to them I was 30:59 avge 9:54 pace for 3.1.... I will still take it.  I haven't felt this strong in a race in a long time.  could I hold it for 13.1 miles not yet, but who knows what 2014 will bring.

Whoop Whoop!! WTG Barb.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Red!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page