Half Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 1729 times)

Got to give credit to both Matt and Bob for positive attitude (he said boldly.)

Sorry about the bold typeface, it won't turn off!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

Date:  Feb 4 2012

Race: Ashley Ridge High School 5K

Distance:  5K

Goal Time: 25:30 

FINISH TIME: 24:13

Not a Half Marathon, but I had an awesome race. It was at a local HS, very small only 80 people. It was 3 loops around the school grounds, which I didn't think I would like. The only clock was at the finish line, so I could see my splits every time we passed it. I knew I had to go out fast and just try to hang on if I wanted to reach my goal of under 26:00.  I took off and crossed the first mile split @ 6:52. Oops. I didn't even know I was capable of running under a 7 minute mile, LOL! Slowed down a bit on my second lap and came across 2 miles in 15:30...so then I knew I could do a 10 minute mile and still reach my goal. Somehow I kicked it for the last lap and I ended up with a 24:13 as my final time. It hurt, boy did it hurt. I got first in my age group and I was the 9th overall woman. Most of the girls in front of me were cross country runners.

It was such a small race that I compared my time to a few other 5Ks held yesterday in my area and I would have won my age group in all of them!!  There were free chik-fil-a biscuits at the finish and amazingly I recovered within about 2 minutes (thanks to all the long runs I assume) and I was able to eat one of those and an oatmeal cream pie. 

Last year at this time I ran a 5K in 30:12. It is so awesome when you see all the miles you put in have such an amazing effect on your running. Big grin

Today I wasn't even sore! Ran 16 and felt great!! Go legs Go!!! Smile 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Awesome!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

>snip< (I would just be annoyed and brood over it all). >snip<

I spent most of 2011 brooding after Dec 2010 Decker screw up... decided to get over it and get on with it!

Great job Veg! Makes me wonder if I'll ever get near a 30min 5k. Need to break 35 first! LOL

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Great job Veg!

Wow, what a great run Veg!

With a little more experience and a more evenly paced effort you will do even better- you'll have to change your name to "Wheels"!

Hot Chocolate 5k - Feb 11th 2012

Quick race report form this 5k I ran with my other half today.

Not a goal race for me but my folks are in town from the UK, they offered to look after the kids so that we could go run together.

This was a goal race for my wife who was shooting for under 29 minutes.

Good news: We get to run the race together

Bad news: After signing up they announce that packet pick up is at the expo only (no race day pick up), 1 hour drive south of where we live. Thursday & Friday only. I hate it when races do this.I understand why they do this but I still hate it Evil

Good news: Neighbor is racing too and goes down to get our packets for us!

Bad news: It's cold on race morning, really cold. We are met by this cheery email from the race director on our phones on the drive down: "Due to the last minute drop in temperature overnight, the race Medical Director is recommending increased caution while running. We strongly encourage that 15K participants running 12 minutes per mile or slower switch to the 5K distance to limit the risk of cold exposure and hypothermia." We arrive at the race site - it's freaking cold!

Good news: We're only running the 5k and it's not too bad if you can get out of the wind.

Bad news: There's no way you can get out of the wind, it's blowing about 20MPH straight from the North! This is the coldest race I am ever going to run. It's 12F (-11C) with the windchill. (I never knew that when they said "5K" they were describing the race day temperature - bad geeky science gag)

Good News: This is a "Hot Chocolate" series race and it's a ladies favorite for sure... as a result there is NO line for the gents restrooms where as the line for the ladies stretches for-ev-er! Wink

Bad news: Now we have to run the damn thing

Good news: We only spend 15 mins waiting in corals to cross the start line. It's a well executed wave start considering there are 7000 people out there and "Sweet Car-o-line" (da, da, da) is blaring as we cross the start line.

Bad news: I sing along. Blush

Good news: For a 7000 person race there really was not that much congestion and we're off and running at a 9:30 pace straight away.

Bad news: We soon turn into the wind.

Good news: Dawn (my wife) picks up the pace and  we go through mile 1 in 9:11. Ahead of her goal pace. She pushes on through mile 2 and holds at about 9:13/mile. She doesn't like me barking in her ear like a drill instructor so I just say "you're doing awesome, you've got this!"

Bad news: She starts to slow in mile 3. With just under half a mile to go I say "If you've got anything left... now's the time"... it was not the right thing to say! Clown

Good news: She does have something left in the tank and picks it up to finish in 28:51. A new PR for her! Big grin

Bad news: On finishing, the weather hasn't picked up any and we're getting cold.

Good news: The post-race deal is inside and really well organized. Time for chocolate!

In summary; the weather was cold, I really hate the expo packet mandate thing and $45 is a rip-off for a 5k but this was a well organized "fun" race, they stuck to a strict wave start and the post race "chocolate fondue" is the best post race food I have ever had (however there was no beer only hot chocolate). Difficult to do fondue for 7000 and do it well. You each get your own individual, freshly prepared portion. Very cool and very well done. Hats off to RAM racing for this one.

MTA: Race results are in 7000 people ran, not 10,000

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

vegefrog

Congrats to your wife on the PR!

I cannot even imagine temps that cold...40's are about as low as it gets here and that's perfect for me. That chocolate platter you have there looks delicious!!!!!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Matt- good race report. I can't imagine running in weather like that. No way. Just not the same as downhill skiing in sub zero temps. Good job sticking with it.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Congrats to your DW on the new PB!

That is cold for a race, but manageable if you dress for it. We have a "snowflake series" here that goes through the winter, so usually some races are run on snowy roads and sometimes very low temps- not really my thing but some folks must like it.

The cost of these events seems to be rising steadily, I suppose there are a number of costs not obvious to us as competitors, but I must say I would prefer to pay less and do without the shirt and medal.

vegefrog

Well I ran my first marathon!!!!

Myrtle Beach Marathon in 5:29:56

HA. Not exactly a speedy run, but I ran it with my sister who slacked a lot on her training plan due to her job schedule. We averaged around 12:20 miles and walked less then a half mile total over the whole course. It was FUN. Really, really fun. The weather was great, 40 @ the start and 65 by the end of the race. Sunny and clear and just a little breezy when we were running on Ocean Blvd by the beach. The crowd support was great. There were about 8 bands and the aid station volunteers were very energetic and hyped up. The course was super flat with just 3 or 4 slight elevation changes which actually felt pretty good after running flat for so long.

I was sort of dreading it...even though I had put in the training. I thought that my sister would have to walk a lot more and I was worried that that would stiffen me up ( I don't walk during my long runs). Also, well, 26.2 miles is just FAR!!!! After the first 5 miles flew by though, we really started to really enjoy ourselves. We had made matching shirts that had a picture of us as little girls and got tons of compliments on them. It was FUN being in the back of the pack (finished in the bottom 25%). Everyone was talking and feeling good (well not everyone, but most people). There were several marathon vets who were giving every one advice and cheering us on as they ran with us. One guy ran something like 80 marathons last year!!!! There were several 50 staters running around us, they had the shirts with the states crossed out. There were also a lot of Galloway runners, which was sort of annoying. I know it works for some people, but they had their watches set to their run/walk intervals and since our pace was slow and steady they just sort of hovered around us. We sprinted about the last 100 yds and held hands going through the finish line.

We had no major issues at all. Had to make a bathroom stop at mile 12, stopped @ every aid station for water or powerade and ate some jelly belly sports beans around mile 14. Sunday we were both a little sore, but nothing too bad. A few blisters and some sore toenails is about all we have to show for it, thank goodness!!

My sister lives in Arkansas and we only get to see each other about 2 times a year. We planned this back in September, and  back then it seemed like a GREAT idea. The closer it got...the less it seemed like such a good idea and we started to doubt our sanity. I have to say it was one of the best times I've ever had with her and we will always treasure the memory and accomplishment.  By Monday we were both talking about where we should run one next year!!!

This running stuff is soooooooooooo addictive!!! Smile

Vege-

great report and congrats on the marathon. I agree-running is great for bonding with siblings (I run with my brother when I see him a few times a year), but we've never run that far together.

Very addictive!

Nice one!  Sounds like great bonding time - I wish my brother was into running!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hi Guys

I will throw this in the race report section even though it wasn't a race, but I have ticked off my 2012 goal.

This was to run the demanding and technical 75km Hillary Trail (3500 vertical metres total ascent) in a day with my 13yo daughters.  The Hillary Trail, named after Sir Edmund Hillary, is Auckland's only organised and promoted multi day hiking route.  It is no super highway though.  Many parts of the route are very rough, technical and demanding.  It is signposted as a tough four day hike with a very long final day.  To knock this puppy off from start to finish in one day is something that ultra athletes aspire to and that fit runners often fail at when attempting

The girls smashed 6 years off the previous record for youngest person to ever complete the trail in a day.  It is a record that I think will now stand for an extremely long time.

We set out at 1am on Saturday morning finishing just before 9pm for a shade under 20 hours work.

My race report as usual is in video form.  Please watch and be amazed :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrzQHn9644&context=C4985733ADvjVQa1PpcFPFHqYRF3DGxNbiBu79IaAI9xGeZTQRjeM

Now I am going to have to settle back and look at a nice half marathon to train for and add that to my goals list.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

HappyFeat

Congratulations to you and your girls, Vino. That's an impressive accomplishment!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.