Half Marathon Trainers

OMG, I'm so antsy! (Read 233 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had originally planned to take 3 days after my race, but I HAVE to run, tomorrow. I almost feel like I could have run today, but I'm still pretty sore. Energy is great, though! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

eshep

Hi Zoom Zoom, I have read different things about what you should do post race; resting completely, doing recovery runs, etc. For what its worth, I was advised by a sports medicine doctor who works with endurance athletes and does a lot of marathons himself that, unless I was injured during the race, I should not stop running completely after a long race such as a half or full marathon. He said reduce but don't stop. He also advised to just listen to my body and take things very slow, but to do something the day after the race. His advice was to do a short (1-3 miles), light jog either the evening of race day or on the day after the race to work the acid out of the muscles. He told me to do this run much slower than even my normal easy runs but that a light post race run would work any stiffness out of the muscles and prevent soreness from developing. Then, depending on how you feel, he advised to either take one day off after your light recovery run or to do a second recovery run on the second post race day before picking training back up. He also advised to lower both my mileage and the intensity of my training runs for the first week after the race so that my body could completely recover but so that I didn't lose everything that I had built up in pre-race training. For several races this year, I have taken the approach of doing the recovery run one day after the race, taking a day off and then gradually moving back into training. It has worked well for me. It helps with that antsy feeling you have the first few days after a race and I don’t feel as sore when I start back up. For my half a couple of weeks ago, I did 45 miles in my last hard training week before the race. The week went 13 mile long run, 3.6 mile recovery jog, 6.1 hard, 5.1 easy, 6.7 moderate, day off and 13.5 long. The week after the race, I only ran about half that distance (25 miles). The week: 3.2 mile recovery jog, day off, 5.8 mile easy, 4.6 mile easy, 7.1 mile moderate, and 4.3 mile moderate. Then, I began the first week of a new training program the first day of the second week after the race. You can go out and run. The key is to listen to your body and don’t have any expectations on times/paces/distances for the week after the race. Adjust your schedule to how you feel. Take an extra day off if you have to or go shorter or slower than normal. Go out, just don’t push yourself at first. Eric
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That sounds like great advice. I actually wish I would have run yesterday, as the weather was BEAUTIFUL for it. Today's a lot windier and colder. Tomorrow will be about the same. I'm definitely ready to get back on the roads...I had such a great race on Sunday that I'd do another half marathon in the next weekend or two if I could find one nearby. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay