Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - January 2012 (Read 501 times)

Hey HM trainers! January is off to a good start. I am building up my base again to just keep training through the winter. I just stepped on the scale and discovered I made it through the holidays by dropping a pound! Also had a medical checkup on 12/30 to discover I'm deficient in Vitamin D and calcium. So now I'm paying more attention to nutrition than ever before and hoping it will help me pick up a bit of speed.

I ran my first ever 10K Sunday in 1:08 - which gives me another time to beat in the future. I keep waffling on whether to run a half or a 10 K on April 1st. The hills in the half I'm thinking about scare me - I am not a strong runner and love the flat courses. But I thrive on a challenge. Time will tell.

Keep on running - this lack of snow has its perks.

vegefrog

My  first half is this Saturday! I'm debating running with the pacer to get my 2:15 time...or starting out slower and trying to negative split the second 10K.

Has anybody ever run with the pace group in a race? I'm sort of a play the pace by ear kind of person, so I don't know how that would work for me. It would be nice to know my pace though and KNOW I'm going to achieve my goal if I stay with them. I don't have a garmin or anything so I usually just gauge my pace by the time clocks they have on the course at various splits. I guess a good strategy might be to make sure I keep ahead of the 2:15 sign, or keep it within sight for the first part of the race...then if I have enough left on the second half I can always take off.

I know I'm over thinking it but this is the first race that I have actually trained for and set a goal for!!! Smile

I'm also interested to hear peoples' opinions of pace groups - if you know your goal pace it seems like it would be a good thing to have around, but I also tend to start off slow and then speed up as the run progresses.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

an amazing likeness

Hey HM trainers! January is off to a good start. I am building up my base again to just keep training through the winter. I just stepped on the scale and discovered I made it through the holidays by dropping a pound! Also had a medical checkup on 12/30 to discover I'm deficient in Vitamin D and calcium. So now I'm paying more attention to nutrition than ever before and hoping it will help me pick up a bit of speed.

I ran my first ever 10K Sunday in 1:08 - which gives me another time to beat in the future. I keep waffling on whether to run a half or a 10 K on April 1st. The hills in the half I'm thinking about scare me - I am not a strong runner and love the flat courses. But I thrive on a challenge. Time will tell.

Keep on running - this lack of snow has its perks.

That all sounds pretty darn upbeat, good on you. I've heard from my Dr, and read in other sources, that a pretty high percentage of us in the northern states have some level of Vit D shortage. Comes from being inside so much, and all covered up when outside during the winter coupled with low levels of sun intensity.

To my opinion, the 10K is challenging distance -- too long to be a hard sprint, and too short for endurance training to have a lot of impact. Makes them fun to run. For me, each 10K is a learning experience and I've tried all sorts of different strategies running them, with mixed results. I think the 10K is great for half marathon training because:

1) It helps you learn and try various race strategies;
          2) It forces you to run faster than your 1/2 pace, and learn the feel of that effort. Its like a 'super tempo' effort and training for the 10K really helps 1/2 pace.
          3) There's enough time in the race to make mistakes and deal with them.

If you've got good base miles, training for and running that 10K may really help your next half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

My  first half is this Saturday! I'm debating running with the pacer to get my 2:15 time...or starting out slower and trying to negative split the second 10K.

Has anybody ever run with the pace group in a race?

Limited exposure on my part to using pacers, but there seem to be some good points and counter points.  On the good side of the equation are all the points around:

- Let's you not have to worry about the pace and just run.  Lot less mental load. Especially early in the race.

- If the pace group you're in is a stretch for you, it can help pull you faster than you'd make yourself go.

- The pacers are generally really good folks, very experienced, and can be good company if you're faltering.

On the other side:

- Pacers can run either even effort (and vary the pace) or even pace (most do this) and you need to ask to know what to expect.

- Some try to bank time and you can find yourself running faster than your training supports.

- You have no idea if the pacer is good at it, and it may too late by the time you figure out that they aren't. (seldom an issue)

- You will only do as well as the pace group on a day when you may have a lot more in you.

Lots of folks split the difference and start out with a pace group / pacer and then either drop off or go on ahead on their own, depending on the day.  It's not at all unusual to see a pacer late in the race with only a handful of runners left from their starting pack.

(There used to be a fellow who posted here on RA, PacerChris, and he was basically a full-time pacer.  He shared great insights about racing, about using even effort versus even pace in your races and training. I learned a lot from him. Wish he was still active here.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If you've got good base miles, training for and running that 10K may really help your next half.

Thanks MT, all good advice. I just might do both though. I really did enjoy the 10K distance and will look out for others to take part in. I have a month or so to decide on the half so I'll just see how my training goes. 

About running with a pacer, I have only done the one HM so I don't have much input other than I liked having them there even though I didn't stay with one the whole HM. When I run outside I don't use a garmin, watch , or anything; I just get a rough idea of the time I leave the house and when I get back. The pacer I started with explained she'd be on pace the whole way, maybe banking only a minute so everyone would make goal time - and she did an amazing job. When I run my next half, I'll be using the pacer. I have no desire to fuss with any gadgets when I run.

I agree with the remarks about pacers, they can be useful, particularly when racing a distance at which you do not have much experience.

One alternative is to use a Garmin or similar, slowing a bit on the hills and speeding up slightly on descents, best not to worry about exact pace at any moment but look at the average or at 5km splits.

Ideally you would do several training runs of race distance, at a slower-than-race pace, of course, and develop a good feel for how hard you can go. It is useful if you can do the race distance in different weather over the same route, so you know how to adjust for different conditions.

In terms of training, I think long tempo runs are the key to developing the physical endurance and mental toughness to improve ones times.

My best race ever was with 4,500 people, and I got settled into a hard pace with a group, not a pace group just a bunch of strangers, around the 5k mark. After a while I knew I was running hard but should just about be able to get to the finish, and took off my glasses and put on sunglasses which meant I could not see my Garmin after the 10k mark. The group gradually broke up at drink stations etc. but I enjoyed the experience and ran what for me was a really good time.

On a slightly different topic- do any of you do form drills?

I almost instinctively analyze the running form of anyone I see running, and I am sure I could improve my own running mechanics, but I feel I should pay attention to the basics first! Any comments?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

- The pacers are generally really good folks, very experienced, and can be good company if you're faltering.

- You will only do as well as the pace group on a day when you may have a lot more in you.

Lots of folks split the difference and start out with a pace group / pacer and then either drop off or go on ahead on their own, depending on the day.  It's not at all unusual to see a pacer late in the race with only a handful of runners left from their starting pack.

Those are the two points I was focusing on...I met with the pacers for 2:15 at the expo today and one lady is so awesome and energetic. She promised to keep us entertained, LOL. Also, all the pacers for this race are through Trysports, which is a local running/tri group and chain of stores here.

BUT...according to my training I should be able to run closer to a 2:05 then a 2:15...I'm just a little scared to have such a lofty(for me) goal on my first half. If I stick with them I'm afraid that I will hit mile 10 with too much left and be pissed at myself.

So I'm gonna do exactly what you described! Warm up @ my own pace, stick with the pace group as long as I feel comfortable/need to, then see if I can take off on my own late in the race! Hey, it's my first so it's gonna be a learning experience no matter what!! Smile

Thanks for all the input, I'll let y'all know how it works out!

On a slightly different topic- do any of you do form drills?

I almost instinctively analyze the running form of anyone I see running, and I am sure I could improve my own running mechanics, but I feel I should pay attention to the basics first! Any comments?

I've fallen off the habit since cross country ended, but we used to do some before any speedwork.  Things like A/B-skips, high knees, and fast feet always helped loosen me up and get me ready to run.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Hey gang.

Got given a new job last week, same company, bizarre situation. I now look after the team that runs our technical support and repair ...24/7!

I'm really busy and it's knocked my schedule way off. Ran for the first time today since last Saturday. SadSadSad

Hope to go long tomorrow morning but I'm down a bunch of miles this week and no speed work.

Enjoying reading all your stories. Will try to update the race calendar this weekend too.

Good luck this weekend VF. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

If anyone's got any advice, my achilles tendon is a little tight - any favorite stretches?

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
                      1) Run more than 231 miles
                      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Good luck with the new job situation!  Now get back out there and make up those miles.  

If anyone's got any advice, my achilles tendon is a little tight - any favorite stretches?

Eccentric calf raises work great.  There are a bunch of good exercises on the web but my favorite is just going up on your toes, then slowly lowering both feet while resting your weight on the leg which has the achilles tendon problem.  It will work even better if you stand on a step and hang your heels off the edge so you get a wider range of motion.

vegefrog

Well... I can't add any info about pacers after todays race. I started with the 2:15 group, but they stopped for water @ mile 2 (really?) and I left them. Never saw them again as I finished in...2:03:32!!!!!!!! Don't have my official time yet, but that's what my watch said Smile

Crushed my goal, felt great! The first 4 miles were gone in a flash...my 10K time was 56 something (my PR is 58:30) so I knew I was gonna rock it or crash and burn. Luckily I kept the pace and felt pretty good. Totally flat course, except for one overpass. Very strong headwind, but it kept me cool so I didn't mind. The weather was COLD for Charleston, I think 32 for the start and 40 when I finished. Perfect for me, I like it cold because I overheat easily.  I stopped at mile 8 for gatorade and mile 12 for water. I knew when I hit mile 10 that if I could pound out the last 5K I could finish in under 2 hrs...but I didn't wanna crawl across the finish line. So I just cruised. I gotta tell you that last mile was soooooooooooooo long!! I saw the finish line and had enough left to do a little 100 yd sprint, LOL.

Overall it was a great race. I am so happy with my time. I am pretty sure I can go sub 2:00:00 for my next half in April, even though there are hills in that one.

The post race party was in a tent, and it was so crowded and hot in there...I didn't even drink my free beers or eat my shrimp and grits! I just came home, took a hot shower and started in on some Miller Lite Smile

Fantastic vegefrog!! You rocked it!

Awesome Vegefrog! (except for the Miller Lite). Besides that....awesome!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              vegefrog

Awesome Vegefrog! (except for the Miller Lite). Besides that....awesome!

I don't know if you mean because of the caliber of beer or the calories I'm putting back on...either way probably not the best choice Wink

BUT...oh well Smile It's getting the job done post race! haha.

OFFICIAL TIME:  2:02:32!!!!!!!!!!!