Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - November 2011 (Read 825 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I am hoping to get fit enough to run a 10k on April 22nd., and a marathon on May 6th.

To reach my goal times I feel I need to run at least 1,200kms or 750 miles between now and the end of April.

The problem, of course, is the winter months......my mileage always falls off in Jan. and Feb. so I will have to push hard the rest of the year and

maintain over winter.

I love running winter but im guessing our winter is milder than yours!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Quiet week here....Is anyone running a turkey trot? I love doing them, but I'm not sure which one I'll be doing yet, as I could be in any of at least cities that day.

Quiet week here....Is anyone running a turkey trot?

I'm quiet due to travel. Was away this weekend, camping with the kids. got back home in time to fly toFinland when I get back I'm off to Disney with the wife + kids for a week! Tough scheduling just to get the workouts in.

No turkey trot for me - can't fit it in!

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Quiet week here....Is anyone running a turkey trot? I love doing them, but I'm not sure which one I'll be doing yet, as I could be in any of at least cities that day.

No official race, just the traditional family run (all able bodied members who can) - used to be 10 miles and was rather competitive, but as stepdad has gotten older, it's down to 5 and we pretty much all run together. Both versions are fun, but I think I like the latter better.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Nice to hear from everyone- still trucking along here.

Trying to do 30miles or 50kms per week consistently.

First snow today but it just blew around without settling, snow tyres already on both cars so we are ready!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, good to see the training is going well. I'm still in the same rut, which is not running enough. My general/average pace is about as fast as I've ever been, though that isn't much of a measure of anything.

I'm running a 'turkey trot', but it's called the Pie and Glove Run. It's in my hometown and the name reflects the fact that the Polly-O cheese company donates the gloves (giant white cotton cheese turning gloves) for all runners. The top runners get pies from the local bakery.  I like the gloves for winter runs - they aren't very warm, but their fluffy, absorbent, cotton nature makes them great snot wipers. Nothing like a morning run to make that turkey dinner the reward.

On the training side of things I've realized I need a goal! My running has been sporadic at best so I'm trying to find another half for sometime in late winter/early spring to motivate me. I've started gong to the Y to do some running on a treadmill, but these colder, darker months sure make running more of a scheduling challenge. But not running is unthinkable!

an amazing likeness

On the training side of things I've realized I need a goal! My running has been sporadic at best so I'm trying to find another half for sometime in late winter/early spring to motivate me. I've started gong to the Y to do some running on a treadmill, but these colder, darker months sure make running more of a scheduling challenge. But not running is unthinkable!

Lakerunner5,

I understand your point about goals and the winter months.  So what I do this time of year is do a bunch of smaller goals that "layer" rather than some big race event.

I set goals for number of runs in a month -- this way I don't get stressed about weather knocking off a day here and there.  Then within that broader goal, I set goals for # of runs over XX miles, and # of runs which are interval sessions, and so on.  For Dec - Feb, I do tend to move away from mileage-based goals so that I don't get stressed when weather forces me inside the treadmill.  I'd rather hit a goal of running 28 days in the month than run only 20 days and hit a monthly mileage target.

ymmv

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

My winter goals are to maintain 30-35 mpw. I have a treadmill and don't mind using it; so I'm pretty well set for that one. My other goal is to stick with a Wednesday night tempo run - that one might not be so easy since my right leg gets unhappy with faster paces on the TM. I'll see how it goes and adjust as needed.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

And now bronchitis! I'll run through a cold or any other minor malady, but I'm not sure how to run when I can barely breathe... &#@%*!!!!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

MilkTruck, the mini goals is what I have been using this month to get back on track after a lousy 6 weeks. I ran my half on 9/11/11 and my 10K on 10/01/11, then promptly got sick for nearly 2 weeks with a cold and hacking cough. This month, my goal is 10 runs and better mileage than last month. I'm 9 runs in and mileage is already better. I've got a planned run Thursday morning with a friend.

Simon, I struggle with that winter running problem too, esp in January/February when we get anywhere from 10days to 2weeks of -35*C and colder windchill. I'm hoping having a treadmill and a running friend I run with once or twice a week is going to make a difference for me this winter; I didn't have either of those last winter.

I'm close to my yearly mileage goal which is a good. My plan for the winter is to try to run 3-4 times per week consistently and try to make sure I'm getting outside for weekend runs (when I can run in daylight as long as the windchill isn't too insane). I'd like to bring up my mileage as well.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

And now bronchitis! I'll run through a cold or any other minor malady, but I'm not sure how to run when I can barely breathe... &#@%*!!!!

Old rule of thumb thing....if the sickness is above your neck -- keep running, if below the neck -- take time off.

an amazing likeness

Simon, I struggle with that winter running problem too, esp in January/February when we get anywhere from 10days to 2weeks of -35*C and colder windchill. I'm hoping having a treadmill and a running friend I run with once or twice a week is going to make a difference for me this winter; I didn't have either of those last winter.

I'm close to my yearly mileage goal which is a good. My plan for the winter is to try to run 3-4 times per week consistently and try to make sure I'm getting outside for weekend runs (when I can run in daylight as long as the windchill isn't too insane). I'd like to bring up my mileage as well.

I don't know how you folks get by up there on great open plains with the wind and cold.  Over here, we have ocean to level out the huge temp drops and it comes down to crappy road conditions from snow and ice more often being just too dang cold.

I'll bet with a steady 4 runs / week on the treadmill you'll keep a good base and head into spring with a different starting point than last year.

Loves the outdoors

I had a bad race. I ran this race last year off heaps less mileage and managed nearly 8 minutes quicker. Sigh. It was very discouraging. It's an 18km trail race with the first 11km uphill (gentle rail trail), then 5 steep down and finishes with 2.5km on the flat. This year I made it to the top in about the same time, but lost 7 minutes on the downhill. I fell apart Sad Just couldn't keep turning the legs over.

Anyway, I felt like stopping running but I've kicked myself in the bottom and signed up for another half marathon in late February. And I'm admitting to myself that 4 extra kgs is probably not helping! 

I've also signed up for a bike race as a random bit of fun. Taupo Cycle Challenge here I come (only half as part of a team - which given I've only ridden my bike 5 times this year should be interesting)!

I also spent last weekend tramping in the Tararuas, 2 nights away from the kids - so life is pretty full and fun these days.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Sorry to hear you didn't meet your race goals, NZrun- there are good days and bad.

Next time will be better.

Nothing special to mention about my own running, had a short week last week as family stuff got in the way, but enjoyed the break.

Back at it this week with 8 miles of hills today.

Oh! Forgot to mention new shoes-Asics 1160..

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.