Half Marathon Trainers

June (Read 29 times)

Cyberic

I just started running long runs of 2 hours +. The distance does not really matter to me. My long run just needs to be over two hours. That's it. I've been doing this for the past three weeks, and darn those take a lot out of me. I'm sooo tired afterwards.

Just feels good to say it Smile

redleaf

I wanted to go out for an hour today. But a friend asked to run with me - I make her slow down Big grin so i ended up running 1:20ish for a little over 10k and my longest run since the half at the end of April. From about 3 to 5 km though my hamstring was achy right where it meets the knee. Sigh.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Red, I hope your hammy feels better.

Cyber, I too shoot for the 2 hour runs sometimes. I should try to be more consistent at it.

I tried to join a new group this morning to run 8 miles. A few of them wanted some extra miles so I joined them. When the big group (maybe 35-40) started, I started getting too hot and stopped. I felt terrible due to the way the whole weekend unfolded. Here it is Sunday night and I still don't feel real good. I'm not getting sick or anything, just like a big hangover from working off night shift and not getting enough sleep. I ended with about 4.5 miles so all was not lost.

Zelanie

Hey guys, kinda took a step back from running and overanalyzing things in May, and I think I'm better off for it.  I finished May with 175 miles, mostly very easy miles, and on my first run in June today, I have to say that my legs felt great and really refreshed.

Next up for me are 2 SRDs before I start my marathon plan later in the week.  I'll be doing Hanson's Advanced, and I really hope that the base of easy miles I laid down in June helps me get off to a good start.

Cyberic- I've kind of done the opposite of you since the plan I'll be following really limits the length (and frequency) of the LR.  The furthest I ran all month was two 10-mile LRs, although I did get a tad more mileage on the day of one of my 10Ks last month.  Good job on getting those two-hour runs in though!

Redleaf- Nice distance!  Hope the hamstring is feeling better!

Mitch- Hope you were able to get some rest.

Hi all - hope everyone is well.

Zel - good luck with marathon training.  I read the hanson book yesterday.  very interesting and very intense.  will look forward to hear how it works for you.

Cyber - when I was in my 20s I always ran by time.  I liked it - made you obsess less about splits, pace etc.....

Red - good run.  Hope the hammie is ok?

Hog - sorry you aren't feeling it. Running goes in phases - but it will always come back to you.

I'm in limbo now...having been sick for my scheduled half....and uncertain what I want to do.  I may find a half for this weekend - but I just don't know at this point.

Ready, go.

Love these early crisp mornings that have not had any humidity, just wish I had more time.  Signed for a half over the weekend in Septmember to motivate me to do some more miles.

Cyber - Running 2 hours sounds awesome!

Hog - Hope you can get some rest and feel better.

Red - glad the Hammy is feeling somewhat better.  Don't push to hard to soon.

Zel - good luck with that advance maraton training.  I know you can do it.

Tarac - Sometimes a break is good.  Just run some easy fun miles for now.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Nana_

Hi Everyone,

I've been popping in every few weeks at best here but I'm hoping for better attendance again/still.

New month, new habits :-)

I'm in Hal Higdon Novice HM Plan - Week 3

Mostly I'm glad to be Still Off The Couch.

Cyberic

Everyone who is injured, I wish you the best.

Mitch, I might just do a 90+ minutes run this Sunday. Then go back to 120+ the week after. I don't have a marathon planned yet, but I want to start getting my body used to longer runs before I enter a marathon training plan next summer.

Zelanie, last year I was training in a Hanson's inspired way for my half. 6 days a week, lots of tempo runs, and back to back medium long runs on the weekends. I loved it. But the 42 km distance intimidates me and I want to reassure myself that my legs can handle a long time of pounding. I don't have a planned race stress though. If I quit the long runs, it doesn't matter.

TaraC, I care about pace though, contrary to what you were doing in your twenties. Of course, since I mind about pace and time, distance comes by itself as a by-product. Even when I do intervals, I think in time, not in distance. I have two paces: easy and fast. Tomorrow, for example my two paces will be 5:10/km (easy) and 4:05/km (fast, 5k pace in this case). I'll warm up for 10-12 minutes at easy pace. Then I'll do 4x2 minutes at fast pace with 2 minutes rest at easy pace in between. Then a last 10ish minutes at easy pace cooldown. My watch will record distance, which I'll upload to RA, but it is irrelevent to my training. My easy pace is always the same, for long runs, easy runs, recovery runs, etc. When I run intervals, my fast pace changes depending on how long the intervals are. 4:40/km for 10-15 minutes intervals, 4:15/km for 3-5 minutes intervals, 4:05 for 1-3 minutes intervals and 3:45/km for 45-60s intervals. The recovery time is almost always the same time as the interval except for the 10-15 minutes intervals, for which recovery time is shorter than interval time. Ex: if I do 3x5 minutes intervals, I'll run 5 minutes easy between. If I run 8x45s intervals, I'll run 45s easy between each. I read Pfitz and Hansons, and this method, to me, is better as it achieves the same goals while being simpler.

It's been quite some time since I've visited the group. Was a really tough winter and my health issues let's just say weren't very stellar. But as my motto goes, "Today I set a new personal goal of most consecutive days lived". 

So I'm up and going and continue to be determined to hit the trails and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Legs are good, not a lot of strength back yet, lungs, well they are what they are and hopefully they'll hold me together for another season.

So I'm back again and keep going.

So my plan again is one race again, just to show I can do I.  Will shoot for the Surftown  HM in RI in late Sept.  Will look up the date and get it on the schedule.

On the positive side, I think I'm a little better right now than I was last year when I started my come back and knowing I did it last year gives me extra incentive that I can do it again.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

hog4life

Larry, nice to see you back posting.

I did a 6.25 mile run with Bella, then hopped on the bike for 16 miles. I'll be doing a BikeMS ride this coming weekend in honor of my dad. He has had MS for 50 years, and it has finally taken it's toll on him. He hasn't walked in 8-10 years and has been pretty much bed ridden for the past 3. He has been in a hospital or assisted living place for the past 4 years. At any rate, it's supposed to be a fun ride with multiple distance options. My wife and DIL will be doing the 25 mile, while my son and I will do the 45 mile. I hope to get all my running in by Thursday or might even just take a cutback week so that I can rest a couple of days.

Docket_Rocket

Hey, guys. Sorry I have been MIA.  Too busy with work and life.  I did 18 on Sunday, to start the year, SRD on Monday, 7 with 800s on Tuesday and 10 last night.  Pretty good week, so far.  7 tonight before I head to Chicago to pace hubby at the 13.1 Chicago.

Cyberic, keep up the good 2 hour run work.  If they take a lot of out you, it could be that you're doing them too fast or the rest of the week is too light for the length of that run.  But they get easier.

redleaf, hope the hamstring and knee are feeling better.

Great job, everybody!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

8.5 with Bella. I would have went a little more, but Bella was done!

Docket, good luck in Chicago! Are you meeting up with Jerry again?

an amazing likeness

Welcome back (again), Larry.

Heal up, TaraC.

Mitch...you're running great base miles, enough to wear the dog out..give her a break. (g)

I also run primarily by time, Cyberic99. For intervals, tempos and other structured workouts I use distance, but on general base mile runs I pick a general time target. There is a professional elite running coach (Nobby) who offers advice here on RA at times, and he always makes the point that too many runners aim for a mile goal on their log runs which takes them out for 3 hour plus runs -- far too long for recovery. His advice is to use 2 hours as a sweet spot.

Zel -- it's good to hear you've had a good past month with less structure. 16 weeks is a long training cycle, basically all summer, so you'll have your fill of structured, planned weeks.

Been a pretty good recovery week for me, a couple easy days to work through the normal post-race soreness. A few more easy days, then time to start ramping up for some upcoming 10K and 5 mile events. Hamstring issues seem to be steadily improving. yeah & whew, fingers crossed the progress continues.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Glad to hear the hamstrings are healing up MT.

If I had a 400m track nearby maybe I would use distance for structured workouts like you. But since I run mostly in parks or in the botanical garden, I find the time based intervals easier to manage. 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off, 3 minutes on, etc. Less calculation while I'm running.

About the long run by time instead of distance, I got the "idea" from a professionnal coach too who wrote a book, but it's only available in French. The reasons Nobby (I didn't know he was a pro coach) mentions, that running a given distance takes different times for different runners and running for 3+ hours is counter-productive, and to aim for 120-135 minutes are the same that Jean-Yves Cloutier gives in his book. I also got the idea of intervals by time from his book.  Makes lots of sense aud is simply more convenient to me.

hog4life

MT, glad the hammy is doing better.

Cyber, just an idea, not sure if it will work for you. In the park, can you spray paint a small line on the path? I run in my neighborhood mostly, and it's a 5 mile loop, running all the cul-da-sac's, and dead ends. I spray painted on the street every 1/4 mile marking the distance.....1/4, 1/2,....1.25, 1.5, 1.75.......3.5, 3.75, 4.0. this make it very simple to do, and don't require looking at my watch.

No Bella today, did 5.75 and consumed 40 oz of fluids, way too hot/humid. Then hopped on the bike for 7.