Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

doc825

testing 1, 2, 3.....
    JoeInTX

Coming in loud and clear! 

Snowman

So I made it!  Yaaaay! (through the race and onto the new site)

Going to post this, make sure I'm doing everything right and then do my race report!

Good to see everyone making it over to the new site!

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

Gone all jock on y'all.

Hi Everyone!

My recovery week is officially over.  I meant to run in Philadelphia while there with my daughter visiting colleges this weekend, but we walked everywhere and I overslept my alarm.

Today I will get back in to it.  Here is my post-recovery week plan:

Today: 4 miles

Tuesday: cycle 30 miles (commute park and ride to work and back)

Wednesday: 2 miles

Thursday:  4 miles

Friday: weights

Saturday: Mountain biking

Sunday: Trail run, 6 miles.

Anj

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
          JoeInTX

Snowman - Good to see you here!! 

Doc825 - You aced the test! 

Anj - Good workout!  Glad to see you here too!!  Smile

Joe

doc825

awesome- this site looks pretty cool. will have to play around in a little bit! kind of like mapmy run combined with cool running minus the technical difficulties! nice! no smiley options, but thats ok....

so, happy monday everyone!! hope everyone had a good weekend and congrats to all racers!

soooooo happy in my "new" shoes. haha- turns out i actually bought the same pair i had before just differnt color. (was in the right shoe all along!) in pink now, not really a pink girl, but me and my shoes are so happy together. got a nice rainy 5 in saturday and 8 in yesterday! (my first longest run since my half 9/20. between the cold and kneee, well whatever- doesnt matter, i'm happy again!!!!!!) felt SO great to be out and about again!! iced the knee after the 8 yesterday, feel fine today. no pains, no worries, life is good as they say!

joe- thanks for bringing us here, will have to manuever around a little bit, but it looks great! fantastic job on your cowboys yesterday(that was so hard to write, you have no idea!)

teresa- no way you're slower than me!

cyndi- anyway you could take a pic of your tat and post it?? is it your first one? thats awesome!!! love it! :-)

misswendy- best of luck with your marathon training!! i really wanted to do the mardi gras half!

lorie- the weather here is crazy too, 75 one weekned, 35 the next, 70 again the next weekend! just when you get used to the cold, warm weather springs up on you! its frustrating! happy anniversary! hope you take a look back at all you've accomplished!

chuck- great 10! enjoy that sweet potato, yummmmy!

rob- so sorry about the hip, keeping my fingers crossed for you. i know what you mean about the addiction. its better to be safe though!

cara- glad to hear the shins are kind of doing better. doesnt look like much is slowing you down though :-) you are crazy!! (crazy is good!)

jenny- sorry about your falcons. that was a crazy game. was not expecting that result at all. you should check out a zumba class if you like to dance- you would most definitely enjoy it! its best probably not to get me started on #7. get rid of dawkins and pick him up, grrrr... oh well, life goes on i suppose. looks like the panthers are kicking butt again, lol.... jeez, what happened this season!

took th emorning off, but headed to the gym for some light TM runs and strength.

take care everybody!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Doc - emoticons are in the pull-down menu ("i" button, far right on bottom row of editing tools). 

doc825

ahaha!! thanks!!

Snowman

Sorry its so long, I broke it up so you can skip to where you want.

PRE-RACE

So I woke up at 3:30am and figured why bother trying to go back to sleep for another 30 minutes, so I got up.  I was out the door by 4am and on my way to Mackinac Island (3.5 hour trip).  It was extremely windy and was raining off and on.  About an hour into the trip, I had a sudden dose of reality.  In order to get to Mackinac, you have to take a ferry.......I get sea sick VERY easy!  and with how windy it is.......Oh no!  The drive went good, just had to fight the wind the whole trip and I got there an hour before the next ferry departed so I went into town for a coffee.  Came back and boarded the ferry, nervously.  Everyone bunched together because of how cold it was and I met some cool people right away on the ferry.  It was not a smooth trip by any means.  It was about a 15 minute trip and if it took another 5, I was going to toss my cookies!  We exited and it was raining and we were in a high wind advisory.  It was about 3/4 mile walk to the Resort to get our packets.  I get Bib No. 2!  LOL  I put it on and people, like usual, gave me this respectful look and usually got out of my way if they saw me walking.  LOL  I love it!  I hung with some runners and we just chilled in the Resort, sleeping and stretching.  Gets close to race time and I decide to do a warm up run.  10 steps into it, my achilles feels like its bleeding on the inside.  Not much I can do about that but pop some Ibuprofen.  Did more stretching and head out to the start, in the wind and rain.  I was under a tree trying to stay dry until 3 minutes before the race.  I came out and lined up about 10 feet back from the start and only about 10 people went in front of me.  It magically stopped raining and everyone lined up.  No one else stood in front of us so we all pushed up and I was in the second row.

RACE

We start and again, I'm telling myself, not too fast, not too fast.  About 20 people pass me but I keep saying, don't chase them, run your own race.  About a mile in, a guy pushing a stroller catches me and I'm thinking, WTF?!  Am I running that slow?  Then a woman in bright pink joins us too.  Now I'm all confused thinking I may have started too slow.  I started talking to the stroller guy and this was his first time doing this so I figure he probably came out too fast.  Which about a mile later, he was soaked in sweat and dropped way back.  The woman in pink though stayed with me.  About 2.5 miles in, we leave the road and enter the trails that lead inside the island.  My third step on the trail, I slip in mud and almost went down.  I did one of those one footed slides with my arms flailing like a drunk bird.  Pinky told me "Nice save".  The trails were gorgeous but riddled with wet leaves which were like ice, mud pits, and a whole lot of horse dookie! (guess that run with the horse poo came in handy LOL)  Pinky and me started talking and we actually stayed side by side about the whole race.  We'd check how the other was doing and made sure we could pace each other.  After talking, I found out she ran her last HM in 1:35:00 and I'm now thinking, Oh crap!  I'm going to burn out because she's pushing me too hard.  I was feeling ok except my hip was hurting.  The whole trail part of the course was a constant up and down.  The downhills were hard since they were steep and you could slip on the leaves.  So I pressed on staying with her.  It never rained the whole race and the trees blocked the wind so it was actually very nice running weather.  About 9 miles into the race, Pinky and me are still side by side and I'm feeling good now.  I'm talking to her normally, she's talking back in a pant.  We starting picking off a few runners that had passed us in the beginning.  She said she was doing good but wasn't able to speed up.  So I keep with her, trying to push her on but I can feel we are slowing down.  We exit the trails at about 10.5 mile and its flat roads to the finish.  We can see 5-6 people in front of us and I ask her to try and pick them off.  She can't so I had to leave her.  I took off and started picking people off.  I passed around 7 people in the last 2 miles.  The last mile took forever but wasn't nearly like my last race.  I cross with a 1:36:13 (3 minutes faster than last time) and felt great!  I didn't have to sit or feel lightheaded.  Took about 3 minutes to recover and I was ok. 

POST-RACE

I go get some food and check the results.  I knew I did decent but figure I'm in 52nd and 5th in my age.  5 guys had finished in our age and I'm not 5th so I figure I'm not on there yet.  I scroll up and and there I am in 3rd!  I almost yelled!  I check my overall place and it was 26th!  I was on cloud nine, ready to do a dance right in front of everyone!  First time I felt proud of myself!

I checked the results today and they all vary.  Active said I came in 27th overall and 5th in my age, RunMichigan said I came in 28th overall and 4th in my age......whatever!  I got my age award at the race so I'm going with it. LOL  There were about 786 people in the HM, depending on what site you look at.

My left knee kills, my right hip hurts, and my ankles are sore.  I plan on taking a week down and only cross training to let them heal a little.  I'm still very happy with my race though, despite the varying results.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

Hey guys....coloradotrigirl here......i made it. I'm having difficulty keeping up with all the posts and seriously how many of them are you? lol....i'm doing my best.

My long run never got done yesterday so i'm off to get it done today. week 2 of Hal for me and so far it's going great. I did my 3 miles on friday and for some strange reason my hips were really bothering me after. Not sure what that was about, i pretty much run the same areas so i'm not sure why all of the sudden the pain. Maybe diet i'm not sure.....alot of carbs all week. Sad this week planning on being better balanced. fridge stocked with good veggies and fruit so no failing......thanks

Joeintx....thanks for the link........

will write again this evening.

snowman.........great race!!! I love the slippery wet nasty poop story and you come out smelling like a rose....what happened to pinky what was her time?

Snowman   Great race Report!!!!!! Congrrats!!!! You should be very proud of yourself!!!!!!

Gone all jock on y'all.

Does anyone know the photo requirements for the profile photo? I can't upload anything... I have a really tiny avatar photo (6 kb) - same one as on coolrunning, and it "red-x"'s me every time I try to upload.
                          I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
                          macd

Indy Half Marathon

Hey gang, nice to see you over here. I started logging and posting here when coolrunning became part of active... haven't had nearly the technical issues! I got my last long run (10) before my half in cold, wind and drizzle on Sat. - so hopefully I'm ready for whatever on 11/7. Of course, yesterday turned out to be a gorgeous fall day and I spend it indoors (my Colts are still on a roll!). 4.5 this a.m. and yoga coming up at lunchtime.

Joe, thanks for moving us... hopefully everyone will come along. I vote for sticking with weekly threads, though - monthly would get pretty unwieldy! Great job on your 8!

Chuck, good to see you back, and knee pain-free! How's Chad doing? Has he had surgery?

Cara, you've definitely earned that dead legs!

Teresa, nice to have you join us!

Cyndi, impressive recovery week! Hope you get that pic figured out!

misswendy, that's a lot of miles for week 1... are you sure you're not training for an ultra? lol

Lorie, I don't know about a Feb. half in Hyannis... brrr! But I agree it helps to have a goal.

Rob, sorry to hear about the hip. I developed acute bursitis in mine in April... went ahead and did an early May half (not recommended, but it didn't seem to aggravate it). I still have some discomfort from it, but nothing like at first. Hope yours is nothing more serious - take care!

AnTrelle, nice to have you join us too!

Jenny, the hot chocolate race is next weekend, same day as spicegeek's full. The forecast has improved but it's still too early to be reliable. Glad you survived all the football excitement

snowman, great race report! Congrats on the fabulous time and placing! Hope your body is not too beat up - give it some rest, man!

Doc, glad the knee is doing better and you were in the right shoes all along. Enjoy the new ones!

Sheila, hope your long run goes well.

Juli, hope your heel is okay... maybe see a doc?

Jeff, congrats on your 10k - fabulous time!

Happy running, all!

Anj - I have the same problem but mine isn't small it's actually pretty big (1.5 megs) so that could be my problem.
                                Cara    The training program I used was Hals novice, but I did change it alittle.I ran 4 days Tue and Fri I would run 5 and thurs I maxed at 8.I did my long runs on Sunday. I didnt do much backing down like they do I did 15,16, 2-18, 16,20,15 8 towards the end.I did know speed work. Thats something that I need to work on. My goal for the race was to just finish!  Good luck to your friend! Lorie