Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

Gone all jock on y'all.

For everyone having trouble with profile pics:  You need to post as an avatar, not a pic.  This you do through the last option under Options - through the forum preferences.
    I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
    cyndit

Hi all, I'm going to try to poke around this site tonght and get familiar and get some shouts out.  I'm not great with computers which is such an oximoron since I work on one all day but give me excel, power point, word and access and I'm a pro, other than that I'm useless.  So I will figure this out (it only took me a year on active) and be a full contributing member again soon. 

Anyway, 6.1 this am at a pretty good pace for me.  Finished in less then 1:10 which equates to like a 2 hour 10 mile.  My first goal is to get my 10 miles under 2 hours consistently as I try to get this 2:30 HM goal that Spice thinks I can do.  I plan to prove that I can so here I go with both feet in the fire.  I find that I am way to stiff when I start but tend to finish strong.....have to figure out a way to start off strong and stay strong the whole time.  Not sure if that's related to my joint problems but I have an appointment with the rheumatologist this week so I'll ask.  Came up with a KB routine that I plan to start tonight, did my core work with the medicine ball after my run today and will do more with my DS tonight (he likes the ball thing so its good for us to train together with his belt test coming up and all). 

I'm glad we've all found our way here but I have to tell y ou, I am an active fan...just wish they'd figure out their problems and knock it off. 

Cyndi

JoeInTX

Hey peeps thought I'd pop in and .... yikes!  I see we are back to our ways!  lol  

Larry - Yes I still need to work on my Profile.  Good suggestions too!  Especially the Race Reports Thread.  

TBMcKay - Good to see another prospective member here!  Have a good 5K this weekend and I agree I don't think you should run your long run the day after racing.  Keep us posted on your progress!  BTW, how do you keep track of you miles?  If you don't have one, I suggest a Garmin Forerunner for your upcoming Birthday! 

Teacia - Great to hear you followed us here!  No worries on your just starting to run, we'd love to keep up with your progress.  We may even be able to provide some helpful tips!    Good luck on your upcoming runs, keep us posted!  Oh and same question, how do you keep track of your miles?

Snowman - I was going to suggest the name Pinky!   

Jeanette - How about swimming, would that be an option for you?  Yep, I see you!  lol

Anj - Thanks for the tips on the Profile, I see yours is coming along nicely!  

Cyndit - If you know Word, just write your replies in Word, then copy/paste into the editor window.  Of course you'll first have to login and hit the Reply button.  This one isn't very hard ot find!  Wink  Also you can bookmark the URL for the forum: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/Forum  No rush however!  lol  Sounds like you and I have the same goal!  

Joe
        jayazusa

Joe - How did you make your workout information available?  I am looking at doing it but I only want members of our group to see it, not open to all.

Any Pointers would be appreciated, 

Jay

Upcoming events:

• 4/3/2011 - Marquee Olympic Triathlon
          • 5/7/2011 - Rio Salado Olympic Triathlon

Completed:

• 3/5/2011 - Run for Ryan House Half Marathon 1:50:43
          • 1/16/2011 - PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 1:57:48
          • 12/5/2010 - Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon 1:59:19
          • 11/7/2010 - Amica International Triathlon - Finished 2:50:16
          • 10/9/2010 - Prospector Olympic Triathlon - Finished 2:48:25
          cyndit

trying to attach a picture of the new tat....like I said I'm not very good at this stuff. we'll see.
            JoeInTX

Jay - I don't know!  lol   Actually I had messed with this site a year or so ago, so I don't have it fresh in my memory, however looking at my workout info (which is very incomplete btw), on the left it reads "Settings", select  that, then select "My Log Preferences" in that section (under Training Log) I have the last option "Allow everyone to see my running log" selected.  Then click the update button.  Give that a shot and see if it works.

Cyndit - Do you have your photo on a network site, i.e. Photobucket?  If you do, go to your photo, and cut the URL for it, then in the edit window here, on the first row of icons below the subject line, select the third icon from the right InsertImage.  A small window should pop up that reads Enter Image URL, in there paste the URL you had cut from your Photobucket site. click on OK and Post!   BTW, the code to cut from the Photobucket site is the one for Direct Link (begins with http://)

JoeInTX

Joe - I am really liking this site.  The mapping and logs seem like an upgrade over the runnersworld ones that I use now.  Are you going to put the link to here on Facebook?

Rick - I found the following link on anohter thread under the Forums section, however I haven't been able to look at it.  The FB site is blocked here at work.  

apps.facebook.com/runningahead

cyndit

last time...if it doesn't work I give up
                  JoeInTX

Cyndi - hope it works this time!  Did you see my last message?
                    cyndit

Hi Joe, thanks but I am truly ridiculous when it comes to this computer stuff....I need the support of my kids or I'm lost.  I gave up here and posted it to Active...that I got to work and the site is up.  LOL

When I've got lots of time, I'll play around  here, later tonight!  I need like "Running Ahead For Dummies".

cyndi

Hawt and sexy

joecool!  Is that you?  Are you still commando?  I missed you buddy!  Hugs and stuff.  Smile

I'm touching your pants.

Ringmaster

WOW! That's a flood of new runners---WELCOME! We're glad you've found RA. We hope you find everything around here as easy to use as we have, and the boards an encouragement. I can echo the recommendation to update your log here if you can--it sure is nice to be able to see how your training is going, and no, we don't log-stalk unless you ask us a specific question. Eric might be able to help you bring your log over if you've got it on another site.

I'll try to get to know you more and more as I read your specific posts.

I ran long intervals Monday--4 x 1.5 mi. The intended pace was 8:13, which I thought was laughable considering how my training's been going, but after the second rep, I guess I was warmed up, because reps two and four not only were faster, they somehow felt easier. Average ended up being 8:15. Goes to show you.

7 today, planned 6 tomorrow, 8 Thurday, off Friday, long Saturday.

Cyndi, hope the appt with the rheum goes well. Like you, I don't always start out well. This morning I ran my first mile at a pokey 9:40 but finished with an 8:20 finishing mile that didn't feel that tough. I think it just takes me a while to warm up. For short races I've learned to do a somewhat lengthy warm-up (up to 2 miles for a 5k). For a half I'll do a warm-up now too, just to avoid that sluggish feeling at the beginning. When I'm hoping for a PR, like in this race coming up, I just don't have time for cobwebs.

And my race is less than three weeks away--Yikes!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Joe, Thanks for the advice on the Garmin Forerunner.  My husband is training for a Triathalon and I know he's been looking at them.  Maybe he should just buy 2! 
                            newjogger1

I’m still not feeling well.  I am going to attempt kettle bell class tonight, though, and hopefully be able to run tomorrow.

rnwalker7 and JoeInTX - thanks for your opinion on tapering

chamblin- Thanks for your advice.  I just feel like things keep coming up keeping me from getting all my miles in every week.  How important is increasing total miles weekly if I’m at least increasing my long runs?

anjuanja- I love pilates!  I felt self-conscious when I first started going to group classes, too, but now I eagerly go to every one my gym offers.

Cyndit- My knees always kill me when I’m starting a run.  I look ridiculous because I am limping and wincing until they loosen up (or whatever the problem is).  I’m 33, and my knees crackle like I’m over twice that age.

chuck43

Imagine that, hit favs, there's the site. Then click reply and it works!!!

So many post and so little time. Just got back from the Dr, I'm doing better today. Had medicine problums, he adjusted and was glad my knee was doing good. He said run, run , run!! It's great to have a Dr. who competes in Tri's.