Half Marathon Trainers

New to group--doing a 1/2 in September (Read 538 times)

colinw

I am new to the group as well, also following he Higdon Novice 1/2M plan. So far so good. I am actually at the end of the plan and my race isn't until Sept 28th, so I am just repeating a few weeks before tapering right before the race. Having a plan and following it is definately good motivation. I would likely find lots of excuse and reasons to skip out on runs if I didn't have an end goal in mind! My longest run was about 17k last Sunday which went well and I felt fine afterward.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Hi Colin, welcome to our half marathon support group! You have obviously planned ahead, so completed your training with a few weeks to spare. I might suggest continuing as you have been, just gradually adding a little to your long run so you have confidence and know how you should be feeling towards the end of the distance. I found running the race distance or further several times before my first half was quite helpful. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

colinw

Thanks Simon - sorry to be so late replying. I have done an 18k and felt great afterward. I am probably only going to run the 21.1 the day of race, as the plan I am doing only calls for a long run of 16k before the race. I managed 18k with little trouble (although slowly) and enjoyed it. I am repeating the last three weeks and look forward to the first HM of my short running life!!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14